Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Bunkers, barricades and battlefield bits.
Topic Started: 4 Jul 2008, 12:51 PM (67,541 Views)
☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
I've picked up a few terrain bits via eBay over the last few months, mainly Forge World pieces. I've also come across a lot of other stuff, that is the same scale and fits in really well.
Since I started painting the odd bit of wall, I've quite enjoy using a large brush and being able to finish a piece in an evening with a very limited palette.
Here are some of latest plus some I prepared earlier to follow.
I'm forever adding things to so called finished models; like camo nets, barbed wire and boxes, so any suggestions for improvements would be most welcome.

A basic FW Pillbox, just the right size for hiding a small doughnut, for that mid game sugar rush!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Added a bit of 'medical gauze' camo net and some 'Googled' propaganda posters:

Posted Image

At some stage I want to build this into a a piece of terrain so that it looks less like a lunchbox.

Another FW Pillbox:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This one came with some nice heavy bolters that would look good on a vehicle IMO.

Third and final one for now, don't know what make this is; it's a lot smother cast than the FW stuff and had no moulding lines, it is also quite heavy. I added the external ladder and the wire, plus a bit of basing materials to roughen it up a little:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Ash, 9 Sep 2008, 07:52 PM.

Mawa
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Wow, thats some awesome terrain :)

marcineczek0
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Wicked... I love those FW bunkers (I always wanted to buy one of those but they are just to expensive). The non FW is great i like what you did with it...and the colours are gooood. The camo neting... hmm I would love to see how you do it.
What I would do? I would base those FW bunkers like you did with the "no name" one.with the same muddy ground.

Hope you got some more to show...

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
I got the FW bunkers from EBay, so I saved a few quid off the retail price.
The third one isn't based, the whole thing is one big (well two counting the roof of the bunker) lump of resin; walls, ground, rocks and boxes. I only added the barbed wire and the little metal step ladder up the outside (plus a couple of extra sandbags and a Jerry can on the roof). They are somewhat odd shapes with regard to storage; this lot are all now sitting in old shoe boxes.

Posted Image

I got this column as part of a job lot of bits. It cleaned up well and made a good spot to attach the Marine statue/mini that was languishing away in the bits box:

Posted Image
Edited by Ash, 4 Jul 2008, 05:15 PM.

# Digits
Member Avatar
Shadowkin
Ash - great work mate. The little additions make a great deal of impact. Niceley painted too!

It's these addtions that make any terrain model unique. I hope this inspires a few more.

(you just reminded me, I have one of those pillars, now I need to find an inquisitor scale figure to complement my Eisenhorn statute!!!)

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Thanks for the comments.
This column should be able to take an Inquisitor scale model without a problem, so long as the stance of the legs is not too wide and you stick it to a wider base, to prevent toppeling.
The marine on mine is looking a little bit on the small side; if I was making another I would use the Grey Knight Terminator Sgt, with the pointing finger.

Here some snaps of the GW barricades set that came out with the cities of Death stuff:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like these a lot as they fit inside the origional packaging making them easy to store. The lighting on the pictures is a bit harsh, I'll take some more with asofter light.
Edited by Ash, 6 Jul 2008, 07:00 PM.

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
A few more bits and pieces:

Some dragons teeth:

Posted Image

A small generator, makes a nice objective or something to hide behind:

Posted Image

A Pegasus models snap together plastic bridge, great piece of kit:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Silent Gallows
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
They are really nice bits, I've seen those dragons teeth on ebay and am gonna get some when I have the money.

How do you paint your paint chips because they look so realistic?

SG

marcineczek0
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Like they say... I just had an nerdgasm.... uch the bridge looks sooooo amazing please make a tutorial with the paint chips... they look so real.

BDJV
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Wow, that's some absolutely wonderful looking terrain! :o

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
@SilentGallow: If you are after a large number of the dragons teeth, then you could try emailing the seller with an offer. I think he tends to sell them as a set of the 4 short and a set of the 3 taller pieces, as a 'buy it now'. However he used to list with a 99p start, so its probably worth asking.

@ marcineczek0 & BDJV: thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

As for the paint chips on the bridge, they serve a vital role in covering up and disguising all the moulding lines that I failed to notice prior to spraying!
I started painting 'chipped paint' onto my IG stuff after reading a fantastic article in Tamiya model magazine Apr/May '03 by Marcus Nicholls. He did a very informative piece on converting the then new 1:35 scale T-55 to a mid 1980's Iraqi version.
His use of simple techniques for making the tank look really worn and weathered was a real 'eye opener'. Put simply, on a two colour camo pattern like green and sand, to simulate worn areas on the green he painted on chips and scratches with a sand colour and vise versa painting green chips and scratches onto the sand parts. Looked fantastic.
In another article, in AFV modeller, the painter used a dark black/brown mix to simulate the look of bare metal once oxidised, pre rust.
Over time I've sort of ended up combining the two, so over green, I paint an outline for the 'chipped' paint with a sand colour, then over the top of that I paint Vallejo 'German Cam.Black Brown', for the bare metal. I leave an amount of the sand colour showing around the edges to provide a bit of depth to the chip. If it's an area that would get a lot of wear and tear, like a ladder up the side of a tank, or a tow hook then I do another layer of a 'Gun metal ' colour.
To make it all look a bit rusty I use Vallejo 'Red Leather' paint, in a very thin wash. You can dilute this stuff a lot making it great for downward streaks, or for pooling around bolts and rivets.

Streaks:
Posted Image

Pooled around rivets:
Posted Image

Manhole cover on the left:
Posted Image

I've got a Chimera on the go at the moment (although it's on hold until I can get some Tamiya sprays) so I'll take some pic's as it progresses.

Silent Gallows
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Cheers for that Ash. It's seems quite simple from what you say but looks so effective. I'm gonna have to give it a go when I next paint a tank and then we shall see..... ;)

SG

marcineczek0
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
On the the last photo is it a Forge world building? in any case can we see some more photos of it it looks amazing.

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
marcineczek0
8 Jul 2008, 05:04 AM
On the the last photo is it a Forge world building? in any case can we see some more photos of it it looks amazing.
Well spotted, its another eBay rescue.
I'm starting to sound like I have a fixation on both eBay and Forge World. The background to this is my FW wish list, I'm sure most people into 40k, who go onto the FW site think, I'd like one of those and two of that . . . . .until you end up with a list that would cost you four figures. I'm not willing to spend that sort of money. So I buy knacked secondhand stuff off eBay when I come across it, my rule of thumb is that I try not to go past 75% of the new price. A lot of the stuff goes quite cheep as its not been cleaned before spraying so its covered in peeling black primer (looks rather ugly in the sales pictures). 10 mins in a sink full of hot soapy water with a nail brush shifts most of the muck, ready for a respray.
I think hunting for a cheap pieces of kit on eBay is starting to become a hobby in inself!

Enough of a ramble, here's some pictures of a ruined Administatum. I picked this up from eBay last year in a rather sorry state; it had been sprayed black without first being washed so was rather ‘peely’. It was also fairly smothered in casting lines.
The walk-ways were missing along with the mounting brackets and the walls had that ‘you’re gonna need a belt sander, to get us to line up’ look about them.
That said it’s a nice piece with loads of detail; I added various bits such as re-bar, barbed wire and a few posters/proclamations, as well as a somewhat ‘wobbly’ walkway, which is wider than the original. Still a few bits to add in the form of some ‘overlooked moulding line hiding cam nets', scorch marks, more dust and some blood etc. I also want to do some sort of either green mold or vine type creeper growing up one of the outside walls, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Anyway here’s some pictures, let me know what you think:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

marcineczek0
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Uh it's sooooo cool!!! I realy like what you did with it. Uh now I want one. I like the dead Guardsmen in the corner. What more can I say... You got skills mate!

As for the vine creeper... I foun something on the internet one time that could help
Posted Image
What you do is glue those small leeves starting from the bottom and glue rest overlaying ech other.
Thanks for posting... this is nice to watch and gives me lots of ideas.

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
That's just the sort of thing I had in mind. Thanks very much.

Thanks for all the kind comments.
My approch is fairly simple, start with the biggest area and work down through the sizes. So with this I sprayed it all black, then painted the walls, then the floor, then everything that ended up light brown like sand bags, then everything green etc etc end up doing little details.
Well spotted with the dead bloke, he was in the bits box for nearly a decade before he ended up here, he could do with another dark wash.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

☺Grizz
Member Avatar
Gribbly Monster
Brilliant work! Very nice personal touches on what already is a great piece of terrain!

Your little run-down on how to do chipped paint was very informative too, think I might have to give it a go at somepoint!

Do you have any more buildings lurking around? Different colour schemes for them?

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
TheGrizz
8 Jul 2008, 10:33 PM
Brilliant work! Very nice personal touches on what already is a great piece of terrain!

Your little run-down on how to do chipped paint was very informative too, think I might have to give it a go at somepoint!

Do you have any more buildings lurking around? Different colour schemes for them?
Thanks a lot, I'm glad you liked it. I'm definitely going to have a go at doing some creeping plants and maybe something to give a fire damaged feel.
This is the only building I've had a go at so far, I do have a largish box of CoD sprues waiting for my brain to catch up and plan something.
I have done a couple of FW terrain pieces; the Hydra emplacement and a knocked out Chimera. Other than that just some barricades and dug outs, plus this tarantula base (previously posted in the Fortifications thread). Nice bit as it will fit all the Sabre defence bits as well.

searchlight option
Posted Image

Tarantula option(this is the part that it came with)
Posted Image

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Just got this from my favorite shopping site:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The bargin price of £8.50

marcineczek0
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Dude!!! I hate you... lol Where do you find all this wonderful stuff. And for so cheap... I will have to visit UK ebay more often. so prepare for competition... ;)

Now paint it and post some photos...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Terrain · Next Topic »