Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Micro Tutorials.; These were made for my board.
Topic Started: May 14 2008, 04:02 AM (2,158 Views)
Rodimus
Member Avatar
Goondock Saint / HoV
[ *  * ]
So I own a micro board that is about the training of future micro hero artists.

On it we made some tutorials. Obviously not on how to make wrestling micros but it's a start.

I'll post them here.

Posted Image
sVo Record
1-7-0

Title History
GLCW Prime Champion X1
GLCW Tag Team Champion X1
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rodimus
Member Avatar
Goondock Saint / HoV
[ *  * ]
Posted Image
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional info not contained in the Tutorial-

Tool options - To color large areas use the Paint bucket/ floodfill tool(Paint users be advised it will color everything of that base color on your image)

Coloring options - In the case of Batman he can either be dressed in Black or be highlighted with Blue like in the comicbooks. Your choice! Keep in mind if you use a picture for reference, the coloring should match closely if you are trying to create an exact likeness.

MSPaint users have limited color palettes if for some reason you cannot find the color you need do not adjust the hex code without consulting someone familiar with its use or a Staff member. Can't find help? Go to the Template section for additional color palettes

Author's note - While this tutorial's subject was Batman the same principles apply to most Comicbook subjects. Be advised the more detailed a subject is the more you need to learn. Case in point Captain America's tunic is part chainmail, you should learn how to draw that pattern if you expect to draw him accurately.

Posted Image
sVo Record
1-7-0

Title History
GLCW Prime Champion X1

Rodimus
Member Avatar
Goondock Saint / HoV
[ *  * ]
Posted Image

Thought you could skate through Professor Seadragon's tutorials eh? Silly you!

I have removed most of the color from the clothing templates to discourage plagiarism, the only one colored is the body. This gives you the freedom to choose your own color scheme, while generally non-descript you can for example give your Army man his own rank.

Credit notes:

Army clothing by Major Justice
Cowboy duds by Copperage
Football uniform by ??
Space ranger suit by Seraphic Slayer
Jedi wardrobe by Emissary
Body template by the legendary Robert Bradley

Make sure you add the proper credit to your posting of the completed lesson!

Posted Image
sVo Record
1-7-0

Title History
GLCW Prime Champion X1

Rodimus
Member Avatar
Goondock Saint / HoV
[ *  * ]
Byrne templates not your brand of cola eh?
This is not too big of a problem and for this lesson Sever will take the podium.
Today the role of "Atlas" is being played by "The Fool"
Posted Image
When using this tutorial take into consideration the height of your subject in comparison to others in your reference.

Posted Image
sVo Record
1-7-0

Title History
GLCW Prime Champion X1

Rodimus
Member Avatar
Goondock Saint / HoV
[ *  * ]
Simple Shading:

As promised the antique has been replaced, you may copy and refer to this new version as needed. Consult your Professors if you are not sure about the shading you have done.

Posted Image

Finding it hard to read? Copy and read it just right-click a figure to get the whole lesson.

Posted Image
sVo Record
1-7-0

Title History
GLCW Prime Champion X1

Rodimus
Member Avatar
Goondock Saint / HoV
[ *  * ]
Posted Image

Posted Image

The purpose of this tutorial is to help you people out there with trouble shading a weapon blade or any other metal piece and give them that sharp shining look. To make things easier for you, the following tools are needed:

1 - A drawing program (this tutorial was done with MSPaint)
2 - A dark background (preferable)
3 - A color scheme of at least 6 tones
4 - And obviously, something to be shaded.

In this tutorial, an exotic blade is shaded twice (with the tags OLD and NEW) using the same scheme but with different techniques. The steps provided will guide you through the proccess of turning the OLD Blade into the NEW one. (The handle suffered no modifications)

- STEP 1: After preparing the scheme*, darkest to lightest tone (downwards), add the 1st color (darkest) to all extremities and junctions of the subject, only ONE pixel. You'll notice there are parts with a sequence of two pixels, but it's up to you. When facing long straight lines feel free to advance a bit more.

*If you don't know how to make one: Go to Colors -> Edit Colors.

NOTE: You don't have to add it to all extremities and junctions after mastering the whole proccess.

- STEP 2: Those pixels mentioned above need some company. Add the 2nd tone to their sides. But be careful: Do not add this color when there's no road nor room for them! The spiked side can give you a clear idea. Once again, adding more than one pixel is allowed when you have a great distance to cover.

- STEP 3: The 3rd color follows the same pattern. You will notice (hopefully) the creation of tiny color schemes all over the blade, a progression of colors under construction. Side by side, make this color together with the 2nd one. Half way done, you can add 2 pixels wherever its possible. Remember not to go farther than the black outline!

- STEP 4: Now it may gets tricky. After going through the "dark half" of the scheme, the lightest colors can be used with more freedom of space. In fact, the 4th tone will prepare the final room for the last two, so pay attention on what you're doing! Those last colors will be the ones responsible for most of the "sharp shining effect".

- STEP 5: Almost done! The 5th color will occupy most of the blade. Just make sure you will save enough space for the last tone. In this tutorial, we'll focus only a straight highlight, no turns, no curvatures, just an arrow.

- STEP 6: To this "arrow" you will finally add the the lightest color and close the case! Pretty cool huh!?

As a final consideration: The subject provided here can be a real Hydra with nine hungry mouths to most beginners but keep in mind you don't have to follow each step by the book. There are a few places here and there where the colors in that scheme could fit with no problem (but always respecting the progression of darkest to lightest). Can you detect those not-so hidden spots? Good luck!

Posted Image

This new example follows the same rules explained above. Progressive shading is not so difficult. Take a look at those heavy lances. You'll notice both are ok. Now take a closer look/zoom in. You'll see 2 has a keen edge while 1 looks "squary". How to avoid it? Different techniques. Same principles! But this particular lesson I can't teach you, you'll only learn it through practice.

Credits:
Both weapons were made by Atlas/The Fool.

Posted Image
sVo Record
1-7-0

Title History
GLCW Prime Champion X1

Rodimus
Member Avatar
Goondock Saint / HoV
[ *  * ]
One of the shading techniques we all should work on is "Original Hairstyles"! Let's be honest when have any of us ever seen the same style or cut on people walking by? Oh sure when we are in school its hip to be trendy by showing off the latest "IN" style. While its also true drawing hair is not exactly a shading technique its application however is. Follow the tutorial below, like a handful of others you will be on your way to making your own hair instead of picking a do from the templates.

Posted Image

Practice drawing hair a while before you apply it to any new microhero!

Posted Image
sVo Record
1-7-0

Title History
GLCW Prime Champion X1

Rodimus
Member Avatar
Goondock Saint / HoV
[ *  * ]
Here is the image progression of steps I use!

Posted Image

Note: This tutorial is designed for Photoshop users only by a Photoshop user, MSPaint users you still have to practice for now.

1) Open a Blank template and change the Image mode to "RGB color" (this will enable you to work with layers, which is of the utmost importance if you want to keep your micros clean and organized)

2) Create a new layer where you will draw your micro's costume outlines. The purpose of drawing it on a new layer is it will make future possible modification easier.

3) With the magic wand selector with a high tolerance (90% antialised off) select all the costumes sections you want to color in one color, in this case Blue.

4) Once the areas are selected use Copy merged and paste to get a new layer with only the costume section you will color / shade.

5) Go to Image> Adjustments> Desaturate, to get the grayscale look you see on image 3.

6) Now use the "Burn Tool" on the areas you want to shade dark. Now your micro should look like the one on Image 4.

7) Use the "Dodge Tool" to create the highlights as you see on Image 5. Once you have this done your shading is done, now will move to the coloring business.

8) Go to the color palette and choose your desired color and set it as the foreground color.

9) To color your layer go to Image> Adjustments> Hue/Saturation. Tick "Colorize" and play with the Saturation and Lightness until you get the desired effect.

10) Repeat this process on the rest of the costume. always remember to use separate layers for each colored section of the costume.

Posted Image
sVo Record
1-7-0

Title History
GLCW Prime Champion X1

Rodimus
Member Avatar
Goondock Saint / HoV
[ *  * ]
Good luck!

Posted Image
sVo Record
1-7-0

Title History
GLCW Prime Champion X1

Equinox
Member Avatar
Simply A+
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well in here man. I'll a look at these later today and give it a whirl.
'Simply A+'
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
sVo Las Vegas Champion (x1)
sVo Hardcore Champion (x1) Longest Reigning In sVo History!!!
sVo Tag Team Champion (x1)

TJS
Member Avatar
sVo Problem Starter
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've been trying exept I need that thing that doesn't make them blurry
Posted Image

Howard Thompson
sVo Wrestler
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm giving it a shot, it's really hard. lol
Posted Image
Record
1-0

Title History
sVo Las Vegas Championship 1x (Current)
sVo Hardcore Championship 1x
sVo Tag Team Championship 1x

Big Rig
Member Avatar
sVo Icon
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Great job Roddy.

People have asked me how to make them. The thing is I'm pretty much self taught. I know how to do them but I'm not great at explaining how to do them you know.

These tutorials are pretty concise and well laid out. Great job man. I may have even picked up a couple of tricks myself.
19 - Ohhhhhh WTF... Seriously

Tsalmavet
Dark Shadows
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Maybe he can work on doing wrestling micro tuts and stuff. Like kick pads, and all. I learned on editing clothing color (learning shading first) that sometimes clothes temps don't match my guy, so I erase what sticks out, am I right for this?

Posted Image

The Dark Shadows
Travis Williams
I Evolve With Time!

Rodimus
Member Avatar
Goondock Saint / HoV
[ *  * ]
DarkShadows
May 14 2008, 08:43 PM
Maybe he can work on doing wrestling micro tuts and stuff. Like kick pads, and all. I learned on editing clothing color (learning shading first) that sometimes clothes temps don't match my guy, so I erase what sticks out, am I right for this?

See the whole thing with that is that many clothing templates are made for 1 or 2 different templates. I personally have been scratch making all of my clothes for a while.

And as far as wrestling specific tutorials go... I'll make a tutorial on how to draw accessories. It's fairly simple to do gloves, pads, belts etc.

Not sure when I'll do it but I will do it.

Posted Image
sVo Record
1-7-0

Title History
GLCW Prime Champion X1

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Graphics & Micros · Next Topic »
Add Reply

threesixty by tiptopolive of the Zetaboards Theme Zone