Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Re-Volt Live. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add New Reply
Copy.com is being discontinued; information about discontinuation here
Topic Started: Feb 1 2016, 07:47 PM (16,412 Views)
ElectricBee
Member Avatar
Does he ever sleep?
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Barracuda Networks is discontinuing Copy.com and CudaDrive as part of a restructuring plan, detailed in the message they have their users see when they first visit the webpage;
Copy.com and CudaDrive teams

We are announcing today that the Copy and CudaDrive services will be discontinued on May 1, 2016.

Copy and CudaDrive have provided easy-to-use cloud file services and sharing functionality to millions of users the past 4+ years. However, as our business focus has shifted, we had to make the difficult decision to discontinue the Copy and CudaDrive services and allocate those resources elsewhere. For more information on this decision, please view the blog post from Rod Mathews, our GM of Storage.

We know this comes as disappointing news to our users, but rest assured that we will do everything we can to take care of each of you in the manner for which Barracuda is known. We have partnered with Mover to make migrating your data to another service as easy as possible and have created a step by step guide that walks you through the process of moving your data to a local hard drive or another cloud storage solution.

If you are on a paid subscription for either Copy or CudaDrive, please keep an eye out in the coming days for an email with more detailed information on your options. For additional information, please visit our FAQ page.

Thank you to everyone for your support.

All the best,
The Copy & CudaDrive Team

So what does this mean for you? If you have their desktop software, absolutely nothing for your files. If on the other hand you are somebody relying on web access to said files, and don't have the originals, then you're well and truly hosed after the 1st.

If you are a modder or if you've shared files in posts with copy.com addresses, then please move your files to another service and update your threads as soon as you can. After May 1st, your audience will no longer be able to access your content, but if you install the Copy.com desktop software on your PC and use that to download all of your stuff, you can still reupload it elsewhere and modify your threads after discontinuation.

If you are a user who wants to save any content from copy.com, feel free to download it, reupload elsewhere and post your link in a reply.

Other services you can move files to:
Dropbox (2GB free / 25GB free with some hardware bundles)
SpiderOak (2GB free)
Microsoft OneDrive (5GB free / Already installed if on Windows 10)
MediaFire (10GB free)
Box (10GB free)
pCloud (10GB free1 / Confirmed space sharing)
Google Drive (15GB free)
MEGA (50GB free)

1: Previously listed (and advertised) as 20GB free, actual plans are 10GB free (up to 20GB), suggesting either they backpedaled hard on their free plan or I misread something while I was rushing to release the list update prior.

Bitcasa is discontinuing its Bitcasa Drive service. All data on that service will remain available until May 20th.

A lot of these services also have their own desktop applications for user convenience, once you've settled down with a specific cloud solution you like. Referral programs can get you even more free space with some of these services, and some services will also give you more space if they screw up something and it directly affects you.

We have three months to prevent any loss of data from this, starting today.
Seeker and hoarder of many informations.
Plant the seeds of sin into the world and they will grow to consume you.

I make usable stuff and break things for fun. Check out what I've made.
Offline Profile Quote Top

URV
Member Avatar
Sir Pongus
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Moved to Off-Topic. Please remember that the News section is, as mentioned in its description, meant for anything new that is directly related to Re-Volt.

That said, thank you for the information. Although I never used Copy personally, I believe a few people in here do, and indeed it would be wise to backup any valuable information. Your list of alternatives may also come in handy.
re-volt.io | Online Races | Discord Server | My Creations

VaidX47
Member Avatar
Three threes
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I personally suggest either MediaFire or MEGA.
For direct download links, use Dropbox or Google Drive.
just ninja things | aka Vaid
----------
Most stuff is happening on the Re-Volt Discord server: https://re-volt.io/discord
>[MediaFire Re-Volt Stuff]< | >[Steam Profile]<

ElectricBee
Member Avatar
Does he ever sleep?
I made it in news because people who work with Re-Volt to make content would probably like to know this. I know some users had been making copy.com their preferred storage and distribution service for some time, and I felt it was a matter of importance for people that rely on it.

My apologies for posting in a place it did not belong in.

I wonder if BotVolt could compile a list of threads with copy.com addresses on them to make a post with? Kay, you around? :P

Gotolei
Member Avatar
Let's try something
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
RIP

Looks like Mega it is. Wish it wasn't the only one with a (free) decent amount of space, what with its special-snowflake download system :/
At least it has a client and file manager integration on all platforms, I guess.

Spoiler: click to toggle
Posted Image

ElectricBee
Member Avatar
Does he ever sleep?
I don't mind its special download system. I mean, it's a little overkill for us, and that also means you need to provide the key for the file to unlock it in the URL, but most files aren't over 1GB so that means then download from any browser is no big deal.

I mean, if you're making something that's 1GB of content on MEGA, you're doing something really big that should be uploaded to somewhere more reliable anyway. Never know if Kim will find himself in some trouble that'll once again cause tons and tons of dead links.

Marv
Member Avatar
No, I won't replace RVZ.
A nightmare for rvf downloads...
Posted Image

ElectricBee
Member Avatar
Does he ever sleep?
If you have a premium plan with them, then you might receive an E-Mail about further action.

Marv
Member Avatar
No, I won't replace RVZ.
I'll have to move over the downloads to my own server then. It's been convenient to host things there, though. There were direct downloads and I gained more than 200GB of space to host my things there. There are many links to be changed...
The news section wouldn't be a wrong place for this, though.
Posted Image

ElectricBee
Member Avatar
Does he ever sleep?
Marv,Monday, Feb 1 2016
16:37

I know, right? It's there at the top. But Victor decided otherwise.

dbs213
Member Avatar
PHD in Procrastination
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
TBH, I had a hard time trying to load Copy.com links with my god-awful internet connection.
I preferred to be called "thatmotorfreak"
---
My deviantART (Warning: Lots of Splatoon junk)
My Steam Profile

URV
Member Avatar
Sir Pongus
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ElectricBee

I made it in news because people who work with Re-Volt to make content would probably like to know this. I know some users had been making copy.com their preferred storage and distribution service for some time, and I felt it was a matter of importance for people that rely on it.

Marv

Roger. I can understand your reasoning. For the time being (at least until May 1), it's probably for the best to move it back to the News section.
re-volt.io | Online Races | Discord Server | My Creations

Gotolei
Member Avatar
Let's try something
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Wasn't there an archive on copy.com of all the uploads that were on RVZT, including things that didn't make the transfer?
Can't seem to find it now that I'm actually looking for it, but would be nice if it wasn't lost on the off-chance there's stuff in there not already on xtg or something.
Posted Image

ElectricBee
Member Avatar
Does he ever sleep?
Masterminds have access to a repository of copy links found by Kay's bot. While I wish that topic was moved from the private subforums to somewhere in public (Questions, maybe?), I guess it's fine to keep it there.

Hopefully makers get that what's going on is real and they should move their stuff some time before shutdown. Also, if somebody with a terabyte to spare wants to, maybe download all that stuff with JDownloader's link grabber feature?

Darkstar199X
Member Avatar
Pos Pasta e Fagioli.
[ *  * ]
Well shit. I only have my Extreme-G bike files on there and they are not on my computer anymore, the link is in an older post of mine. If anyone wants o grab those before judgement day comes.
Trashhhh

ElectricBee
Member Avatar
Does he ever sleep?
Just install Copy for desktop and sign into it.

ElectricBee
Member Avatar
Does he ever sleep?
Gotolei,Wednesday, Feb 3 2016
15:50
Wasn't there an archive on copy.com of all the uploads that were on RVZT, including things that didn't make the transfer?

I know what you're talking about, too. I think that content is on Marv's account, ask in a PM.

Marv
Member Avatar
No, I won't replace RVZ.
Gotolei,Wednesday, Feb 3 2016
15:50
Can't seem to find it now that I'm actually looking for it, but would be nice if it wasn't lost on the off-chance there's stuff in there not already on xtg or something.

I still have it.
https://copy.com/IJsp6FYBqad8lUEP
Posted Image

ElectricBee
Member Avatar
Does he ever sleep?
I added pCloud into the list of alternative cloud services. One of the main reasons is their idea of "Fair sharing" matches that of copy.com, advertising that as people join shares, their total space is combined, allowing users to have more than their free plan allows.

If this is a benefit that intrigues you, then pCloud is an ideal alternative to copy.com.

ElectricBee
Member Avatar
Does he ever sleep?
Bitcasa is removed as an alternative because Bitcasa Drive is being shut down. If you have any files on Bitcasa, you have one month to retrieve your content before all data for non-business Bitcasa users are removed.

Source [Bitcasa support]

ElectricBee
Member Avatar
Does he ever sleep?
This is it! If you have no backups elsewhere, Grab your data from copy.com or say good-bye to it forever!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · News · Next Topic »
Add New Reply