Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Re-Volt Live. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add New Reply
W.I.P.S ! Personnal, and community projects...; Killer Wheels wips
Topic Started: Jul 12 2012, 07:34 PM (5,586 Views)
killer wheels
Junior RC
[ * ]
Hi everyone,

Some of you may know, I started a "community project" where everyone is free to join and participate.

The main idea is to make something, show it and see if it can be added to the project.

Finally, I'll write a "how to make great stuff for Re-Volt" tutorial in which I will merge every contribution (so that's more of a "we will write it" than a "I will write it" ;) ).

Am I clear enough ? ^_^

The main subject is on the ORP forum, and I added a first challenge for those who wants to test their skills, I know there are very talented people out there B)

Follow the link !

Greetings, KW

EDIT : link to the original topic
Offline Profile Quote Top

zipperrulez
Member Avatar
Man of few words.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi-ban is anymore the residential buggy modeller around here. I hope this interests him.
Sounds pretty good KW, keep in touch.

ZR
Posted Image ZR OUT

burner94
Member Avatar
Lazy and slowly progressing car maker since 2010.
Oh yeah. Also, particularly liking the orange one and the two-tone purple-and-green one. But the yellow one is nice as well :) can't really judge the red one, its pic is so dang small xD

IMO, the yellow one can be easily made as a ripoff of any buggy by Hi-Ban, as it kinda looks similar... Suggestions, suggestions... ;)
LiveVolt supporter :)
Posted Image

Rail handling is for n00bs.

hi-ban
Member Avatar
Buggys!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I will try the yellow car. Making the model right now...
MY RE-VOLT CARS

matiwrc[PL]
Member Avatar
Octanolic
[ *  *  * ]
WOW , looks ambitiously . Wish u patience while working !!! . Can't wait to see models !!!
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough - Mario Andretti

killer wheels
Junior RC
[ * ]
hi-ban,Thursday, Jul 12 2012
21:39
I will try the yellow car. Making the model right now...

Wow, that's an extremely fast response :lol:

Seeing the quality of your creations it sounds promising (love your cars) !

I might give you an advice anyway (I saw your WIP's thread :) ) : try to draw some sketches before working on the final model (that's the pre-production stage). You may do so by making 3D tests but it takes more time ;)
(tip : for a simple car, front/side view is enough to get a good feeling of what you want)
That will really help you if you want to make tracks as good as your cars, and it will rise up the interest of showing your work in the tutorial AND the final model :)

Feel free to ask if you have any question.

Seeing how much people answered here I may continue the topic here instead of ORP.
Which place is best suited in your opinion ? Are there other forums/places where I may ask for talented people to join this project ?

Miro
Re-Volt Chieftain
Hey mate, welcome to our forums. B)
Best would be to carry on the discussion on this forum since it's the most active at the moment and possibly in the long future too. Best would be to post the complete post from ORP in your original post, since I'm not sure if members without account there are able to see the topic.

killer wheels
Junior RC
[ * ]
miromiro,Friday, Jul 13 2012
00:04
Hey mate, welcome to our forums.

I'm not sure if members without account there are able to see the topic.

Thanks miromiro.
Unregistered people seems to be allowed to see the post ;) , and it would be too long to write everything again.

I know it's painful to read so loooong posts, so I don't mind if you ask here instead. But that would be great if you give it a look, I must admit. :D

Just to complete above post, I did a little pic to explain furthermore.

Posted Image

You have multiple possibilities, here I took the pic of the car, then tried to polish it a little bit more...
Then you can design again and again... ;)

Posted Image

Finally all you have to do is create the car using your own blueprints (front/side), and that's truely cool !

Again, feel free to ask if you have any question.

MythicMonkey
Member Avatar
Mythic Motors
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey KW :D

Looks like you've got some cool things going on. I look forward to seeing the results of all your collective efforts. :)

Mythic
"The Truth SHALL Set You ALL Free. If You Only Allow YourSelves To See The Beauty That I, Myself Have Seen. So Shall It Be." ~ Excerpt from Mythic's Journal

Winner of the Only Mythic Racing Challenge - LivingWithGames!

Citywalker
Member Avatar
Resident Tinkerer
Quote:

and it would be too long to write everything again

Ahem, you could have just copy-pasted it ;)
Or include a link to the ORP post.
All my stuff is available here, and all my videos are available there.
-----
CW

R6TurboExtreme
Member Avatar
Re-Volt Chieftain
KW, thanks for the effort. For you i'll model the main body and the wheels,and I can ask somebody to do the springs, CW maybe? :)

I'll try to do my best for the buggy :]
Posted Image

burner94
Member Avatar
Lazy and slowly progressing car maker since 2010.
Citywalker,Friday, Jul 13 2012
01:00
Quote:

You know what, City? If it wasn't for you, I'd have said the same thing :P

BTW I could try modeling the small red one, one day or another ;)
LiveVolt supporter :)
Posted Image

Rail handling is for n00bs.

R6TurboExtreme
Member Avatar
Re-Volt Chieftain
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm doing my best! :D

This is the purple buggy.

R6
Posted Image

killer wheels
Junior RC
[ * ]
Citywalker,Friday, Jul 13 2012
06:00
Quote:

Or include a link to the ORP post.

Well.. Nevermind, I didn't :P

Things seems to go very fast here ^_^ , that's great to see some people interested :)

I thought I could put my site online before somebody started to model something (at least a beta version) but here comes R6TurboExtreme... Too fast for me, guys.

That's a great start ! I already see some mistakes but I'll give feedback later, I think it will be more constructive. What 3D software are you using ?

Here's another tip, anyway : don't be afraid to make the same thing several times, it will only improve the result.
Try to focus on what you want the car to look like : aggressive, speedy, cool... and try to adapt design. The idea is to get a good feeling of the car without any paint job.
Or you may just let your imagination flow and look at the result. Sometimes it works, sometimes... well, it don't ^^

At least, have fun :) That's important.

R6TurboExtreme
Member Avatar
Re-Volt Chieftain
Well, I've kinda lost my interest in finishing the buggy, and I totally have no experience in making axles, so could somebody take over my work? I'm just better in tracks than cars....

https://www.box.com/s/23ec8c374c2cdaa599c0

I'd like to see hi-ban or mythicmonkey resuming it, but another guy is good too!

R6
Posted Image

MythicMonkey
Member Avatar
Mythic Motors
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lol...I'm afraid I have waaaaay too much going on already to take on yet another project, my friend. :) Besides, I don't want anything to get in the way of us having a good time with what we talked about working on together. :D

Oh, and by the way...I think you are quite mistaken. <grins> You seem to be a quite competent car builder from what I can see. You can do whatever you want here, of course, but don't you think for a second that making cars is beyond you. I'm not lying when I say that buggy looks great, my man. So you take that knowledge and you put it in your pocket...and don't ever lose it. You're good...and I don't want you to forget it. B)

Mythic
"The Truth SHALL Set You ALL Free. If You Only Allow YourSelves To See The Beauty That I, Myself Have Seen. So Shall It Be." ~ Excerpt from Mythic's Journal

Winner of the Only Mythic Racing Challenge - LivingWithGames!

Pranav
Special Super Pro
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey KW, why don't you post your sketches here too, the one you recently posted on ORP is amazing!

Andro Juniarto
Member Avatar
"ABANDON SHIP! Abandon ship..." ~Von Clutch
[ *  *  * ]
Amazing sketch KW, I like that Volcano track, sometimes Re-Volt needs amazing track like that :D
And now I want to make track sketches...hahaha :lol:
Gallery of Andro Juniarto's drawing

killer wheels
Junior RC
[ * ]
R6TurboExtreme

Well, I've kinda lost my interest in finishing the buggy, and I totally have no experience in making axles, so could somebody take over my work? I'm just better in tracks than cars....

Too bad, that was a good start.

Pranav

Hey KW, why don't you post your sketches here too, the one you recently posted on ORP is amazing!

Thanks ! I'll continue to maintain both topics, and I hope more sketches will be done, not only by me, to fill this topic ! Jigebren just proposed a new theme on the ORP forum.

Andro Juniarto

Amazing sketch KW, I like that Volcano track, sometimes Re-Volt needs amazing track like that 
And now I want to make track sketches...hahaha

Feel free to do so ^^. As I said, Jigebren had a new theme idea, but you can still find your own, and any contribution is welcome.

R6TurboExtreme
Member Avatar
Re-Volt Chieftain
Okay right, I'll resume that buggy in a few days.

R6
Posted Image

kay
Member Avatar
Re-Volt Chieftain
If there are tracks, I'm in :)
It wouldn't hurt visiting my blog or Re-Volt frontend's :)

StrixMidnight
Member Avatar
Just a repainter
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It seems to me that programmers of the game wanted to make a genre of circuit with some magma or in a volcano. If you go to make circuit in this theme with a line race original, funny to make (and additionally, difficult, is needed that :lol:) then I wait for this circuit with big impatience :D

Good Luck ;3

killer wheels
Junior RC
[ * ]
Hi there,

not so much updates lately, sorry about that. I worked on my website to have a central place about customizing Re-Volt.
Even if the game is pretty old now, there's still some people playing it, making new cars and tracks every week... Thanks to them, rv is still alive !

But there are still no real tutorial about track making. Lots of tutorials about AI, import, setting up everything in RV... Nothing about the track itself. Except some raceline masters like Hilaire9, there are lots of people that can make good-looking tracks, but with a not-soo-good flow, or the opposite. That's why I wanted to make this "from scratch to end" tutorial, and wanted to keep it as simple as possible, since lots of informations can be found everywhere.

So, in order to launch the project, I will open my website very soon with 1 or 2 unreleased tracks I created, and I'll try to add a selection of the best tracks that have been created, considering every aspect : raceline, graphism, and AI.
I may do so for cars later, but I think I'll need someone to help me ! ^_^

I plan to open it in 1 week, but I wanted to add something better, so I came up with this : why not a new community track made in 1 week ?

So here we go, I update this thread.

How to make a community track in 1 week ? Let's keep it simple, something between 100-300m.

At first, we need a raceline. Nothing can be easier : draw a simple top-view of the raceline you want, and suggest it here by posting a screen. The more there will be, the more ideas we can have.

And that's all for now :)

Some tips :
- try to put in 1 full-speed section, 1 tricky/curvy one and link both with watever you like.
- don't care about heights, start with a flat track.
- draw something cool B)

See you in a few days ! ;)

R6TurboExtreme
Member Avatar
Re-Volt Chieftain
As a first track, we can create a toy world track.
@KW I got a track philosophy file from Mythicmonkey, when i was in hurry creating tracks. Please take it. It is very nicely written by him, and he's been off lately. May you remember him. https://www.box.com/s/e5m19tz1kxvgnli5jfug Please take care of it.
R6
Posted Image

killer wheels
Junior RC
[ * ]
@R6TurboExtreme : thx for the file. It seems that Mythicmonkey took the time to explain everything about creation process. Lots of what he says can be applied to more than just trackmaking :)
I didn't read everything yet, but so far I can only agree with him ^_^

Great doc.

Anyway, even if what I want to do is about the same as he did, I want to keep things more simple, concise and easier to read. I think this shall constitute the core of the tutorial, with concrete examples more than philosophical matters. As Mythicmonkey said, every trackmaker have its own way to build a track... And I'd be glad if Mythic would join me in writing a tutorial :lol:

Seeing great stuff from different people, because there's more variety, is what I think everyone enjoys. But to achieve this, there's no starting point. I want to help making that.

And what's best as a concrete example than something multiple people participated in ?

So if you want to learn how to make great stuff in only 1 week, just try yourself here ! B)

A good example of a very basic track idea is Road Of Simplicity 1, posted very recently. Just a raceline, with no worries about graphism. Really great starting point !

killer wheels
Junior RC
[ * ]
Hi there.

I started to draw a simple raceline of a track. I will try to write the tutorial along with the creation of the track, but I'm asking for help :) :

- I need someone to help me translating everything, I don't want too many mistakes ^_^
- Someone who actually knows about Blender (I've never understand anything in that software)
- Someone who knows about Jigebrens great stuff (plugins / tools he made)
- Someone who knows Gimp (I never used it)

And of course, anyone that play or create in re-volt, just to help and support :)

You can pm me if you're interested, or simply leave a little note below !

I will also try to make the car I posted earlier :
Posted Image
That could make a bundle ? :ph43r:

If I do this, maybe I will also start a very basic tutorial for custom cars ? Maybe later, anyway ;)

Skarma
Member Avatar
Distant.
killer wheels,Monday, Jan 7 2013
23:48
- I need someone to help me translating everything, I don't want too many mistakes  ^_^

As in;

- You'll write the tutorial in another language and have it translated to English?

OR

- You'll write the tutorial in English as best as you can and have someone edit it for mistakes?
Posted Image
Posted Image

killer wheels
Junior RC
[ * ]
@Skarma : I will try to write in english, but surely someone will have to modify some things or fix mistakes... More if interested ! :rolleyes:

Skarma
Member Avatar
Distant.
Alright, I'm game. I'll help with translating if it's in English at least.
Posted Image
Posted Image

killer wheels
Junior RC
[ * ]
The tutorial will be translated in english :)

I think I will open my website before I finish the track, in order to write the tutorial while making it... :P
I will let you know.

Thanks !

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · WIP · Next Topic »
Add New Reply