Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Re-Volt Live. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add New Reply
How to create a Carbox; Skarminatrix Style!
Topic Started: May 24 2012, 12:39 AM (56,529 Views)
Skarma
Member Avatar
Distant.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Updated: 08/07/2014 - Rewritten because I do things a bit more efficiently now.

It would appear that a few members still don't understand how to do carboxes or might struggle with a few things. Well, thats why I felt like writing a tutorial on how I personally do them myself, that and I felt like it anyway.

I will be using Paint.net for this tutorial, you can use whatever you want but it's up to you to find all the things you need. This certainly isn't the only way to make a Carbox, it's just how I personally do them. Also be aware that you can swap things for your own style, it all depends how you want YOUR carbox to look.

So, what will you need for this tutorial?

Re-Volt 1.2 (I highly recommend this because it can support for bigger BMP files.)

Any image editing software. (Paint.net, Adobe Photoshop, Gimp, whatever works for you. DO NOT use Microsoft Paint for this, it doesn't have the capabilities that other editors do and it doesn't support layers, which you WILL be using.)

This track for carbox creation.

Erm... That's it. So let's get on with this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Make sure that you have Re-Volt running 1.2.

2. Start Re-Volt, select Practice mode and enter TVTIME as your name at the name selection screen. You WILL need this.

3. Select the car you would like to make a carbox for. Last time, I used my Mclaren F1 GTR Longtail. This time, I will be using my Lexus LFA.

Posted Image

4. Select the 'Carbox' track. You will always be given an error about the .w file not being found. Disregard it.

5. SHIFT + F5 to remove the speedometer, it most likely won't be in the way but it's still easier to have a completely clear screen when doing this. Seeing as you don't even need to move the car except for steering the wheels, position the camera angle as you please and take a screen capture. You may have to do this several times to get it to fit into the image depending on what size you'll want to use. To start off, I'll be using 512 x 512. Remember to have shadows turned on in the options menu before you take your screen.

6. Minimise out of Re-Volt, open your image editor of choice, create a new image with your preferred canvas size.

7. Create another two layers. You should have Background/Layer 1, Layer 2 and Layer 3, with 3 being the top and 1 being the bottom.

8. Paste your screencap into Layer 3. You will be given this prompt:

Posted Image

Click "Keep canvas size". Depending on the camera angle you took the screencap at, you might need to adjust it a little as mentioned above. I just keep doing caps until I get one that fits. If your original screen exceeds the canvas size a little bit you can resize it to make it smaller. NEVER EVER enlarge an image that is too small, it will look uglier.

9. Hide Layers 1 & 2.

10. Select Layer 3. Select the magic wand tool, set the Tolerance percentage to 0%, click on the white background and delete it.

[XIMG]http://i.imgur.com/OXLVyHV.png[/XIMG]

11. Set the Tolerance to between 25% and 50% and start selecting the shadow underneath the car. If it keeps selecting parts of the actual car, lower the Tolerance and keep trying. If worst comes to worst, you'll just have to select each and every pixel of the shadow individually but this isn't as bad as it sounds. Trust me, you'll get there.

[XIMG]http://i.imgur.com/0q8NAc1.png[/XIMG]

CUT the shadow out, DON'T COPY.

12. Paste the cut shadow into Layer 2.

13. If the car you're doing has any transparent areas or inconsistencies, you'll also have to deal with them now before moving on. Use the magic wand tool with 0% Tolerance to get rid of any white background leftovers. If you have anything that looks like this for example:

Posted Image

Just use the colour picker tool, select a nearby colour and cover it up. Make sure to return to the correct layer before doing this.

14. Now comes the exciting part. You'll need to decide what font and what to write onto the carbox. Most people seem to be content with going with the original Re-Volt style which is the 'Impact' font.

Me, I like to varietise depending on the car. However, finding manufacturer fonts can be difficult or sometimes impossible. Corporate-A, the font that Mercedes Benz uses for example, is not freeware so it can't be obtained without a fee. In that situation, you can just stick with Impact or improvise unless you want to create your own as an actual font or an image. But doing it as an image was far more tedious that it ought to be and I don't recommend doing that. A good example of this is my Lamborghini Reventon as seen here:

Posted Image

I happened to find that as an image and it's a prime example of how tedious copying and pasting is, especially when you have to replicate the fadeout effect. I don't do fadeout anymore, but you still can if you so desire...

Anyway, create a new layer between the Background/Layer 1 and Layer 2, this should be Layer 4. Hide Layers 2 & 3, show Layers 1 & 4 and select Layer 4. Confused?

Posted Image

You're welcome...

Select your chosen font & colour then decide where you would like to position it. Make sure to space it out evenly and try not to have it right up against the edge of the carbox, I usually go with 8 - 12 pixels off of the edges, it varies. You're going to have to try different font sizes and colours to figure out what does and doesn't clash.

[XIMG]http://i.imgur.com/UGW1hIS.png[/XIMG]

Duplicate the layer and move accordingly. (In this case, downwards.) Repeat until you're satisfied.

[XIMG]http://i.imgur.com/GL71uw3.png[/XIMG]

15. Select the first duplicated layer. Adjust the transparency so that it starts a fading effect. Do this for each layer but increase the transparency as you go along. Like this:

[XIMG]http://i.imgur.com/cKRL3Gz.png[/XIMG]

16. Show Layers 2 & 3 again. Select Layer 2. Paint.net has a layer option called 'Multiply' which works perfectly. Just adjust that so that the shadow isn't too dark or too bright.

If you don't have this option on whatever editor you're using, just darken the layer a bit and increase the transparency until you're happy with it.

[XIMG]http://i.imgur.com/pcflpiF.png[/XIMG]

17. Flatten the image and increase the brightness by about 2 or 5. This prevents pureblacks from appearing.

18. This is optional, because I used to just save my carboxes as 512 x 512 but I now prefer to do it this way. Blur the image slightly then resize it to 256 x 256.

19. Save your Carbox into the folder of the car it belongs to. Go to the folder and open up the parameters. You'll need to add the ;)TCARBOX line followed by the directory. Like this:

Posted Image

Don't forget to save the parameters file.

20. Start Re-Volt again and go to the car selection screen. When the car appears, revel and celebrate about how much of a godamn genius you really are.

[XIMG]http://i.imgur.com/MpCx1JW.png[/XIMG]

And there we have it. If it doesn't work, you've fucked somthing up. Try again until it works.

Well, I hope you find this helpful, blah blah blah. Go make decent carboxes, kthnx.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Top

LivingWithGames
Member Avatar
Super Pro
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Skarma, you deserve a medal, honestly.

This is something I need to keep in my favorites.I salute you, sir.

hi-ban
Member Avatar
Buggys!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I've just made a blank carbox level (a white hexagon-shaped room) It's smaller in size (kb), as it just has one prm and one texture.

By the way, this tutorial is a must-read!

I usually put transparency 0% in first text, 50% in second one, 75%, 88% and 96%. I always adjust the text size to fit 5 lines in the carbox.

https://www.box.com/s/f8a2d2bed97713da0a95

EDIT: oh, i've just noticed you have a link to a white level in your post. :unsure:

EDIT2: Anyway, it's there if someone wants it. And also submitted to RVZT (not sure if it will get approved, though)
MY RE-VOLT CARS

MythicMonkey
Member Avatar
Mythic Motors
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Great tutorial, man! :TU:

Mythic
"The Truth SHALL Set You ALL Free. If You Only Allow YourSelves To See The Beauty That I, Myself Have Seen. So Shall It Be." ~ Excerpt from Mythic's Journal

Winner of the Only Mythic Racing Challenge - LivingWithGames!

Dr.Pepper
Member Avatar
King of Beverages
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for the tutorial Skarma! :D
aka ridgeracerplayer14 & Racer X

Skarma
Member Avatar
Distant.
-Redundant post-
Posted Image
Posted Image

LivingWithGames
Member Avatar
Super Pro
[offtopic]Skarma had edited his post and fool gone again.Ignore this post.[/offtopic]

LivingWithGames
Member Avatar
Super Pro
*-Sorry for the double-post-*

Can some moderator or administrator move this as "pickup"?This is very useful for whoever want to make a carbox in a good way.

P.S.: Reason I had to do this double-post by accident is that I'm in a rush, I'll be out for a little time.

Andro Juniarto
Member Avatar
"ABANDON SHIP! Abandon ship..." ~Von Clutch
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks Skarma! I try it with my Ms.Paint *lol :lol:
Gallery of Andro Juniarto's drawing

Venomxx97
Member Avatar
VenomousCreature
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Andro Juniarto,Saturday, May 26 2012
10:55

i think you won't get it done with MS Paint
it'll be easier if you do just the main stuff with MS paint if you wish to and then do the rest like cutting out the car in Paint.net or an other program.

on topic: It's a great tutorial skarma and really useful i think everybody should be able now to make a carbox with your instructions. *like*
My YouTube channel

Re-Volt N64 Soundtrack [YouTube]

Skarma
Member Avatar
Distant.
Andro Juniarto,Saturday, May 26 2012
10:55

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Dave-o-rama
Member Avatar
Hallucinogenic Bulb
[offtopic]I make my carboxes in Ms Paint too... -_- [/offtopic]
hi-ban about strike21's constantly getting banned

Already banned? Wow! You Are Faster Than My Twin Mill!

martensan on RVZT

I live in a translation using Google

Ballisticsrules
Member Avatar
Super Pro
Thanks a lot Skarma!

This tutorial upgrade my knows about doing carboxes.

Five Stars: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Posted Image

Nero
Member Avatar
The dark horse
RevoltBestFan's deleted post

Edit:how i make the font to 3d an how i make the font shadow?

It's easy. You need to delete the C:/Windows/system32 folder. That will enable you to use 3D fonts. Good luck. *like*

Skarma
Member Avatar
Distant.
This topic will now remain locked to prevent further spam. It'll stay that way unless I ever feel like unlocking it again.

For future readers, if you have any questions then PM me. No stupid stuff though.

I finally decided to clear out most of the crap from this thread and therefore it has been reopened once again. Any questions, just post but please don't let it derail like it did before.

Cheers.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Byuos4
Junior RC
[ * ]
sorry, nubie here. anyway why i can't write anything :huh: , it's always white and can't be seen? :huh:
PLUS: how to get the pic smaller?

Skarma
Member Avatar
Distant.
Maybe because you've either selected white for the font colour or you don't have the correct layer selected.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Byuos4
Junior RC
[ * ]
Ty:) , by the way how to make the car look smaller? :)

Skarma
Member Avatar
Distant.
You either keep going captures until it fits inside the canvas or you resize it. Simple.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Skarma
Member Avatar
Distant.
Finally got around to doing this. I've completely rewritten most of this tutorial, hopefully it's a bit better now.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Teddy PL
Member Avatar
Creator carboxes.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hello
Very good guide Skarma.
I would like to ask you about something not related to the topic a little namely, how did you do that you have arranged for a box car pulce not stand on the floor of the pyramid like? As you can see here:

http://rv12.revoltzone.net/imgs/custcarbox12.jpg
I am a fan of the game Re-volt since 2000.
I create to their cars gathered in the RV custom shadows and carboxes.
My stuff to RV: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ilsjf6f0j61jf/Re-volt_stuff

Skarma
Member Avatar
Distant.
Modify Frontend using MAKEITGOOD.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Teddy PL
Member Avatar
Creator carboxes.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks a lot :)
You have to open a program?

Phantom
Member Avatar
Re-Volt Champion
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Teedy PL,Friday, Nov 7 2014
07:26
Thanks a lot :)
You have to open a program?

If this you want, download this you must.
[color=light blue]We don't stop playing because we get older, we get older because we stop playing.[/color]

Teddy PL
Member Avatar
Creator carboxes.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes exactly what I meant.
Thanks again.
As for my English (even in the result of) a common mistake caused by the simple inattention. :lol:

Skarma
Member Avatar
Distant.
That's not the one I use, but yeah, that'll work.
Posted Image
Posted Image

AlteredArax
Junior RC
[ * ]
This is probably a really noobish question buuut...
How do I re-position the camera?

Gotolei
Member Avatar
Let's try something
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Enter TVTIME as the name, F6 in-game, then WASD to move the camera around.

http://revolt.wikia.com/wiki/TVTIME
Posted Image

AlteredArax
Junior RC
[ * ]
You are a saint!!! Thank you *like*

taruncreation
Member Avatar
Repainter,Converter and much more.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks skarma for this tutorial!
<A href="http://taruncreation.deviantart.com/gallery/">DeviantArt</A>
<A href="http://revoltzone.net/users/14213/tarun">Re-Volt Zone Alias</A>
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Car Tutorials · Next Topic »
Add New Reply