- October 4, 2009
You must read this post entirely before applying for a Custom Pokémon Species. We encourage people to make customs, but we need them to be careful and thoughtful when creating them, given it is a bit of a project to under take. The most basic thing to keep in mind when creating a custom is to create an original Pokémon, something that fills a gap in the Pokémon world that a canon Pokémon does not fill.
List of Contents
---Off Limits Pokémon
---How It Works
---Moves That Don't Exist
Basic Rules - - - - - - - - - -
• You may only create a species of Pokémon after first submitting a human character.
• They must originate from somewhere else in the world OR one of the smaller, canonical regions (Rota, Almia, Fiore, Orre, etc.; anything not from the main games). For example, if you create a jackal Pokémon, it would be best coming from the Africa Region. Given that characters come from places like America and France, we allow real-world locations.
• If they evolve, you must create the entire evolutionary line. They can not be in a line with more than two evolutions (three Pokémon total).
• Please make move sets believable and justified. Have an idea behind your Pokémon and why it is the way it is. We won't allow just anything.
• You are more than welcome to create new Abilities, so long as they are justified. But you are not allowed to create new Moves. Abiltites will be checked for over-powered qualities by the staff.
• You are allowed to make evolutions of existing Pokémon, provided that should a canonical evolution for them come out, your creation is treated as a branched evolution. You may not make evolutions past a second stage. (Example: Slaking can't evolve again, but you could make a branched evolution for Vigoroth or Slakoth.)
Off Limits Pokémon - - - - - - - - - -
You may not create evolutions for the following Pokémon or their evolved forms:
Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Chikorita, Eevee, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie
Pikachu, Eevee*, Ditto, Smeargle, Unown, Nincada, Plusle, Minun, Castform**, Riolu, Rotom, Zorua
*Eevee-evolutions have already been created on the board for every existing type and then some. To avoid overlapping and canceling evolutions out, no more will be allowed.
**New formes for other existing in-game weather-types are allowed.
Mega Evolutions - - - - - - - - - -
We do not currently allow Mega evolutions to existing canon Pokémon. Mega evolutions to custom Pokémon (that are not relatives to canon Pokémon) are fine.
How It Works - - - - - - - - - -
You are basically creating a species of Pokémon from the ground up. When you're finished, it is added to the listing and you are allowed to include it on a character's profile or encounter it in the wild (if applicable). At this point, so is everyone else. When you create this Pokémon on the board, you are creating a species, not an exclusive 'mon for only you to use. Granted, you will probably be one of the few to use it, but the option is there to be available from everyone.
If a Pokémon's base stat total adds up to 600, you must roleplay out catching that Pokémon. The creator of the Pokémon is allowed one free grant (they can have one character get one without roleplay), after that, they must roleplay to catch more of that Pokémon too.
Sprites & Artwork - - - - - - - - - -
Some kind of representation of your Pokémon is required. While sprites are preferred, drawings or concept art are also okay. If you are using artwork or sprites you found, you must list source of the sprite or credit the creator, if it is not yourself. You can use other people's work, but they have to be credited.
The Admin has seen too many roleplays use the spriting community's sprites willy nilly and does not wish to add PokéFiends to the list. While we would prefer you also respect the original name of the creation, too, it is not a strict requirement.
As a side note, you must also have the shiny colorations of the Pokémon.
Moves That Don't Exist - - - - - - - - - -
Volt Tail. Thunder Armor. You may have seen Ash's Pikachu use these. These moves are not in the games, and as such, are not allowed. Avoid combining moves to make a new one. If it doesn't exist in the games, then you can not use it.
Other Information - - - - - - - - - -
While we allow things to be vaguely based on other things, please don't expect to port over Digimon or monsters from other games onto PokéFiends. The Admin is cool with things being inspired from other fandoms (the way that Bisharp is inspired by a Super Sentai warrior), but she does not want to see poorly crafted copies brought onto the site. This is available for you to show us your original, cool, ideas.
Gijinkas - - - - - - - - - -
These are sadly not allowed. If you want to have your character dress up as a Pokémon, that is fine, but they can not be an anthro of a Pokémon. They do not exist in the canon. The day that they do, we will change this rule.
Chimera (Spliced) Pokémon - - - - - - - - - -
Unfortunately, these are not allowed either. We forbid them to preserve canon. That being said, you can not have a Charmasaur. Or a Bulbamander. Etc. We do allow them in experimental context (if that fits into your character's background), but we prefer to ban them from player's rosters. If you want to work a wicked chimera into their past because they have a Ph.D in Genetics and they made some crazy critter for Team Aqua, that's fine.