Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Yankee Zone. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pining for playoffs; by David Lennon, Newsday
Topic Started: Sep 24 2005, 02:25 AM (17 Views)
Gategem
Member Avatar
Member In Exile
Members
September 22, 2005

In his first season as manager of the "other" team in town, Willie Randolph is now getting accustomed to what life is like when the Mets are resigned to playing out the string. Randolph wondered where all the reporters were Tuesday when the Mets began a three-game series with the Marlins - most were in the Bronx covering the Yankees' pennant race - and the feeling is a little unfamiliar for him.

After all, Randolph's Yankees had not missed the postseason since the strike-shortened season of 1994, and even then, they had the AL's best record at the All-Star break. The Mets entered last night's game mathematically alive in the NL wild-card race, but it's pretty clear they'll be watching the playoffs on TV.

"I understand where I'm at," Randolph said. "I'm not going through withdrawal or anything like that. I'd still rather be where I'm at now. It's strange, but it will be even stranger when the playoffs start."

Randolph obviously is disappointed that the Mets' postseason push fizzled earlier this month, but he's also looking forward to his first vacation in a while. Randolph was in the Shea offices almost every day of the offseason since he was hired last November, and a manager's job is a bit more draining than that of a third-base coach.

"You go through a lot more stuff," Randolph said.

Youthul infield

Anderson Hernandez didn't start last night, but in the previous two games, the 22-year-old second baseman was part of an infield that featured Mike Jacobs as its oldest player at 24. David Wright and Jose Reyes have cemented their spots by the age of 22, but both Randolph and GM Omar Minaya were skeptical the kiddie foursome could be the Mets' starting infield next season.

"It would be tough," Minaya said. "To me, it's about offense, what kind of offense we could get from the other spots."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · MLB Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Member Legend
Administrator | Moderator | Member | Validating | Banned

Please Visit Our Affiliates





Title banner © 2007 by Venom of The Yankee Zone.
All Rights Reserved.
edge created by tiptopolive of ifsz