Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Yankee Zone. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Yankees News for August 25
Topic Started: Aug 25 2005, 07:46 AM (10 Views)
Giambino
Member Avatar

Members
Yankees News for August 25

---------------------
Click here for links to full articles then click READ MORE under Yankees news for August 25: http://www.yankeemania.com
---------------------



Mike creates quite a Muss
August 25
New York Daily News: After pitching nearly flawlessly for four innings, Mussina simply collapsed in the fifth. He allowed eight straight batters to score before finally being lifted for Felix Rodriguez, and the Blue Jays scored once more to complete a nine-run frame and send the Bombers to a 9-5 defeat before 54,705.
It was the second time this month that Mussina couldn't escape the fifth; on Aug. 3 at Cleveland he allowed six runs before being yanked, but this time was uglier and the defeat left the Yanks into a virtual three-way tie with Oakland and Cleveland in the AL wild-card race.
"That time in Cleveland it looked like he went away from what he was trying to do," Joe Torre said, "but here he stuck with his plan and just wasn't able to execute the same pitches." Torre said he kept waiting for Mussina to work out of the inning because he had been so effective early on. The 36-year-old had allowed just one hit and retired 11 in a row, including a strikeout of Shea Hillenbrand to start the inning, when he suddenly unraveled. Corey Koskie walked, Gregg Zaun singled and Reed Johnson singled to load the bases and give the Jays life.
At that point, Mussina - who last allowed eight runs in an inning on Sept. 24, 2003 against the White Sox - stalked behind the mound and tried to gather himself, but his first pitch to Eric Hinske was up and in and just brushed his wrist.
"It hit something but it didn't sound like it was his hand," Mussina said. "It doesn't matter, though. It was a tough way to give up a run, but it was a tough spot I got myself into and I couldn't get myself out."
Things got worse from there. Orlando Hudson walked to force in another run, Russ Adams drove home two more with a single, Frank Catalanotto knocked in another with the fourth hit of the inning and then Vernon Wells delivered the final blow to Mussina, lacing his first pitch just over the left field wall for a three-run homer.
That left Torre little choice but to make the slow walk to the mound and take the ball from Mussina, who made an even slower trudge back to the dugout. On most nights, the "Mooooose" calls from the stands sound a little like boos; on this night, there was no mistaking what they were.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posada's in tough position
August 25
New York Daily News: The way Jorge Posada sees it, he is "in the same boat" as the Yankees themselves - with a strong finish and a playoff run, no one will remember the struggles of spring and summer. No one will remember how his statistics are not as gaudy as usual and no one will remember the frustration he's felt while trying to get them to their normal high level.
Posada, the Yanks' proud catcher, is unhappy with his production this season, but he bristles at the idea it's a sign that his career is starting to slide. "I have had a bad year," he says, his voice tinged with disappointment. "Am I slowing down? No. It's just one of those years.
"These are not my numbers. It's just the way it's gone. I could have had a better season. I started real well (he had a .285 average on May 31) and I haven't played so well of late. I could get really, really hot and put them where they're supposed to go.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matsui new No.2
August 25
Newsday: As the Yankees prepare for their stretch run with their eyes on the postseason, manager Joe Torre continues to tinker with his batting order, searching for the right mix.
With Bernie Williams out of the starting lineup last night, Hideki Matsui batted second between Derek Jeter and Gary Sheffield, and Torre said the move could stick. "Second is a spot we've been messing around with," Torre said.
Robinson Cano had a stranglehold on the spot before he started struggling, and Matsui provides the combination of power and consistent contact that Torre values. Matsui went 3-for-4 with two RBIs in last night's loss.
Torre said they thought about batting Jason Giambi second because of his impressive on-base percentage, but decided his lack of speed would be more of a detriment there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernie's homer a pinch of past
August 25
New York Daily News: Bernie Williams pinch-hit with two out in the ninth inning, smacked a three-run homer last night in an ugly 9-5 loss to Toronto. Joe Torre had sat Williams for most of the game, and his career batting average would remain at .299 after the one at-bat, rounded up from .29884.
"If I was going down, I was going down swinging," said Williams, who wasn't all that comfortable in the pinch-hitting role. "It's a crazy game. I'll do what they tell me."
Back in March, Williams' 14-year career mark with the Yankees was .30112, an impressive number of quiet significance. But his batting average and on-base percentage have skidded dramatically over the past three years, and his statistical legacy is at risk.
There was this other Yankee center fielder once, guy by the name of Mickey Mantle, who had two deep regrets when he was done with the game. Mantle was sorry he didn't take better care of himself, and he was remorseful that he hung around too long, allowing his lifetime average to dip below .300.
"To think you're a .300 hitter and end up at .237 in your last season, then find yourself looking at a lifetime .298 average - it made me want to cry," Mantle wrote in his 1985 autobiography, "The Mick."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Picky Torre, Cano's On-Base Numbers Add Up to Eight
August 25
New York Times: For all his communication skills and years of experience in the major leagues, Joe Torre can still rely on numbers when he has to.
When Torre, the Yankees' manager, was asked yesterday to explain his decision to push Robinson Cano toward the bottom of the lineup, he cited statistics.
"He doesn't get on base that much, as far as walking," Torre said.
"There are a lot of similarities with Jeter when he first came up," he continued, referring to shortstop Derek Jeter. "It was an event when Jeter walked."
Torre had put Cano, the rookie second baseman, in the second spot for 44 consecutive games through Aug. 17. Cano responded for a while, batting .313 through July 28. But his average had fallen to .275 before last night's game, and without the benefit of many walks, his on-base percentage had plummeted to .304.
Cano had batted second just once in the previous six games, and he had walked only 14 times this season. He hit eighth last night, going 1 for 4 with no walks in a 9-5 loss to Toronto.
Torre has used Bernie Williams in the No. 2 spot four times over the past week, but with Williams not starting last night, Hideki Matsui batted there. Jason Giambi moved to the fifth spot, behind Alex Rodriguez.
"He has been one of our best hitters," Torre said of Matsui. "We're just trying to give him an extra at-bat and move Jason up to the five hole. We'll stack our five hitters up there and hope they do some damage."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Johnson going back to basics
August 25
Newark Star-Ledger: Randy Johnson usually throws off flat ground between starts to save wear and tear on his arm and body.
But yesterday, for the first time since joining the Yankees, Johnson put on his spikes and went to the bullpen for his side work. He wanted to work on his mechanics, which he blames for his disappointing season, and he felt he made progress after a half-hour of work with catcher John Flaherty, pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre, bullpen coach Neil Allen and special pitching instructor Rich Monteleone.
Johnson has been frustrated by inconsistent velocity -- a 93 mph fastball with the occasional 95 mph, instead of about 2-3 mph faster last year -- and inability to hit his spots. Bad location led to his disastrous, four-homer, six-run inning Sunday at Chicago. "I'm not hitting my spots, I'm not hitting my location," Johnson said. "When you're not hitting your location, it comes down to mechanics."
Looking at videotape, Johnson saw his head moving during his delivery and his right shoulder flying open. If he can keep his head still and his shoulder moving down instead of out, he believes he will have more drive to the plate and better velocity and break on his slider.
Johnson worked with his hands in front of his face before going to his windup; the past two starts, concerned about tipping pitches, he began his windup with his hands at his chest.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------
Click here for links to full articles then click READ MORE under Yankees news for August 25: http://www.yankeemania.com
---------------------
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · New York Yankees · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Member Legend
Administrator | Moderator | Member | Validating | Banned

Please Visit Our Affiliates





Title banner © 2007 by Venom of The Yankee Zone.
All Rights Reserved.
edge created by tiptopolive of ifsz