| Welcome to The Yankee Zone. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| Nevin rejects trade | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Jul 25 2005, 09:40 PM (41 Views) | |
| Mantlemurcer | Jul 25 2005, 09:40 PM Post #1 |
![]()
Home of Champions
![]()
|
O's looking to move Ponson to Texas now. |
![]() |
|
| Mattingly23 | Jul 25 2005, 09:44 PM Post #2 |
![]() ![]()
|
When will SD learn not to trade Nevin? This is now the second time he has put the kibosh on a trade (Cincy for Junior). |
![]() |
|
| PavanosBalls | Jul 25 2005, 09:55 PM Post #3 |
|
Unregistered
|
apparently its the third time but they never said the other one. ban no trade clauses unless a certain performance incentive isnt met. nevin is a good player still, but hes not the right handed jim thome they had a few years ago. |
|
|
| Bleedrngrblue | Jul 25 2005, 10:12 PM Post #4 |
|
Is there any fight left in the dog.....?
![]()
|
I think its funny. Ponson can't be real happy either, the Os better move him now! |
![]() |
|
| Gategem | Jul 26 2005, 12:15 AM Post #5 |
![]()
Member In Exile
![]()
|
Here the complete article: Nevin refuses trade to Orioles First baseman likely to see playing time reduced with Pads By John Schlegel / MLB.com • Padres official press release SAN DIEGO -- First baseman Phil Nevin remains with the Padres after an exchange of rights kept him in San Diego instead of sending him across the country to Baltimore. "We had a right to try and trade him and he had a right to reject it," Padres GM Kevin Towers said. That's exactly what Nevin did Monday, using his limited no-trade powers to block a proposed deal that would have sent him to the Orioles for right-hander Sidney Ponson. Word of the deal came out over the weekend, and Nevin had been granted a 72-hour window to discuss the possibility with the Orioles and his family. The Orioles are one of eight teams Nevin has listed in the limited no-trade clause on his contract, which runs through the 2006 season. Once Nevin relayed the word through his agent, Barry Axelrod, that he would not waive his no-trade clause, the Padres announced that the deal was dead. "I wasn't surprised," Towers said. "I know he's got a home here, his family's here, he grew up on the West Coast. He likes it here. This is the third time we've gone through this so it's pretty obvious he wants to be here." Towers said he hoped Nevin would agree to the deal in part because he could split time between first and designated hitter at Camden Yards, a much more hitter-friendly venue than PETCO Park. "I thought he'd be open-minded to that," Towers said. Apparently, he was not. Nevin also blocked a trade with the Reds that would have brought Ken Griffey Jr. to San Diego prior to the 2003 season. Prior to that, Nevin was involved in a trade that would have sent Jeromy Burnitz from Milwaukee to San Diego, though it was actually Burnitz who officially nixed the deal when an agreement on a contract extension couldn't be reached. Axelrod said this one came down to family life for Nevin, a native Southern Californian who is currently building a new home in the San Diego area. "He just decided that obviously, family factors, personal factors, took precedent over baseball factors," Axelrod told the Associated Press. "He wants to remain a part of San Diego and the ballclub. He's always wanted to be in San Diego. They gave him the right to keep that right, and that's what he decided to do." Nevin, 34, is batting .263 (72-for-279) with nine home runs, 11 doubles and 47 RBIs in 71 games for the Padres this season. Nevin is owed the remainder (about one-third) of his $9,675,000 salary for this year, another $10 million next year plus a $2 million bonus payable in 2007. Towers indicated Nevin's role with the team will be altered and his playing time likely decreased. complete coverage >"Phil has elected to stay with the Padres and will be treated as a full member of the team," Towers said in a club statement. "However, with the team competing for the National League West title, playing time is going to be determined by both his performance and the performances of other players that will ultimately give us the best chance to win." Right-handed Xavier Nady, at 26 a power threat the Padres have been trying to keep in the lineup all season long in a utility role, and left-handed veteran Mark Sweeney could see the bulk of the playing time at first base going forward. Axelrod said his client was aware of that situation. "That was duly taken under consideration. He understands that's a possibility, something that (Padres manager Bruce Bochy) may decide to do," Axelrod told the AP. "Obviously he's willing to accept that and take his chances with that." Said Towers: "I'm hoping he'll be a team guy about this and be positive about it." Towers said the trade made sense for two reasons. For one, Ponson could give the Padres a veteran arm that would provide some insurance if Adam Eaton continues to have difficulty coming back from a tendon strain in his right middle finger. For another thing, Nady and Sweeney have earned more playing time. The Padres remain in first place in the NL West, but they are barely clinging to the .500 mark at 50-49 and their shrinking lead over the Diamondbacks and Dodgers, their top pursuers. This trade wasn't designed to change all that in one fell swoop, Towers said. "By no means is Phil Nevin the reason why we are where we are the last several weeks," Towers said. The No. 1 overall pick in the 1992 draft, Nevin struggled after breaking into the Majors with the Astros in 1995. But he resurrected his career with the Padres in 1999, coming in as a utility player but forcing himself into the lineup with his bat. He was the team's MVP three consecutive years (1999-2001) and ranks second on the club's all-time homers chart with 156. Over parts of 11 Major League seasons with Houston (1995), Detroit (1995-1997), Anaheim (1998) and San Diego (1999-2005), Nevin has a career batting average of .276 (1018-for-3685) with 183 home runs, 191 doubles and 667 RBIs in 1,057 games. Meanwhile, Ponson is 7-9 with a 5.91 ERA and hasn't won a game for Baltimore since June 18. He was traded in 2003 to the Giants before the July 31 non-waiver deadline but signed a three-year deal with the Orioles the following winter. "This trade, I felt would make our ballclub better," Towers said. "That's why I wanted to do it." Towers said he did his "due diligence" about Ponson's off-field problems last winter and other issues, but he was prepared to take on the right-hander and the remaining $13.5 million on his contract. "This really wasn't something I proposed," Towers said, adding that the Orioles expressed interest in Nevin when the two teams were discussing starting pitching. Towers said his work isn't through. "We've still got a week before the trade deadline and we've got more time after that," Towers said. "By no means are we done exploring trade options, with Phil or with other players." John Schlegel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs. |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · MLB Talk · Next Topic » |
| Track Topic · E-mail Topic |
10:21 AM Jul 11
|
| Member Legend |
|
Administrator | Moderator | Member | Validating | |
| Please Visit Our Affiliates |


edge created by tiptopolive of ifsz











10:21 AM Jul 11

