Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Yankee Zone. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Yankees News For January 28
Topic Started: Jan 28 2005, 08:16 AM (17 Views)
Giambino
Member Avatar

Members
Yankees News For January 28


Giambi Breaks Silence
January 28
New York Times: Jason Giambi has not spoken publicly since the Yankees' season ended and has stayed out of view ever since The San Francisco Chronicle reported in early December that his grand jury testimony in the Balco case included an admission of illegal use of steroids. But Giambi has finally made contact with Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman.
"I've had good conversations with him," Cashman said yesterday. "He's doing well, working hard, and all his medicals are good. We're looking forward to him returning and having a lot to prove."
But the Yankees would be thrilled to shed the four years and $82 million remaining on Giambi's contract. There is very little chance they could do so.
The Yankees did not bid for Carlos Delgado, a high-profile free agent first baseman, because of their financial commitment to Giambi. They signed Tino Martinez to a one-year deal to play first base, with Giambi expected to be the designated hitter.
Giambi's agent, Arn Tellem, has said Giambi will address the news media before spring training. Cashman did not say when he spoke to Giambi, but at the news conference for Randy Johnson on Jan. 11, Cashman said he had only traded voice-mail messages with Giambi.
Now the two have spoken, and Cashman said yesterday: "He sounded determined. I don't want to speak for him, but clearly he's determined to get back to being one of the high-level offensive producers in the game."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rolls, Glanville join Yanks
January 28
New York Daily News: The Yankees all but completed their offseason business yesterday when they extended spring training invites to utility man Damian Rolls and outfielder Doug Glanville, both of whom presumably will compete with holdoverBubba Crosby for the 25th spot on the roster.
Rolls could be a particularly intriguing player since he has the ability to play almost every position. He won the Tampa starting third base job out of spring training last year but played in just 53 games, batting .162 with nine RBI. He was sent down to Triple-A in early May then suffered a season-ending wrist injury shortly after being recalled later that month. He was eligible for salary arbitration this offseason but the Devil Rays declined.
Glanville, a Teaneck product who came up with the Cubs in 1996, has been regarded as one of the better defensive center fielders in the game but he is a free-swinger at the plate. His best season was 1999, when he hit .325 with 11 homers and 73 RBI in 150 games with the Phillies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------
Click here for links to full articles then click READ MORE under Yankees news for January 28: http://www.yankeemania.com
---------------------
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Venom
Member Avatar
May the Force be with you
Admin
:clap:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · New York Yankees · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Member Legend
Administrator | Moderator | Member | Validating | Banned

Please Visit Our Affiliates





Title banner © 2007 by Venom of The Yankee Zone.
All Rights Reserved.
edge created by tiptopolive of ifsz