Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Yoshi Lighthouse. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Extracting Files from .dats?; Has it been done, and how to do it?
Topic Started: Nov 16 2017, 10:00:55 PM (144 Views)
Snowbo
Hatchling
I've been looking through the files of Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions, and I've found the file hierarchy as well as file data, though I'm not sure about how to classify what is the beginning and end of the encrypted files. I understand that this may vary from different file extensions, so I'll provide an example in the form of an image file, showing a section of fmod.dat.

Attached to this post:
Attachments: How_to_export_these.png (14.06 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Posted Image Teawater
Who are you calling an old man?

So like... you're looking for pointer lists to each file in a single .dat file?
Yeah, usually what happens is that those pointer lists are stored elsewhere... probably in the exefs/.code section. (Usually that file contains mostly code, but there can be plenty of tables near the end. - ARM9 boot file/overlay files from NDS games are also usually structured like that as well. As well as GBA games. ... (code, and then tables.)...) ... I would need to take a look to make sure if that's the way this remake does it, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.... (Going by what I saw since BIS.)

(Sorry for 1 week late reply, I did see this, but I think I forgot to respond since I never did check.)
Edited by Teawater, Nov 23 2017, 11:21:48 PM.
If you ever find an error in any of my reference materials, PLEASE let me know.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Don't mind me, I'm nothing but a spoiler.

Snowbo
Hatchling
I was looking specifically for the models that were used in the overworld, though the way I was doing it probably wasn't how it worked. Your prediction was correct, it seems they've been using a very similar encryption system in the 3DS games. I believe I've found the start of the pointers, 3760416. But I was wondering, how do you extract the files -such as a .bch- from the .dat files? Is it as simple as finding the header data, copying it from there, until the footer data, and then saving the code as its file extension?

I've snipped a picture of 0x396120 to 0x39638F, just to check if that is the hierarchy or I'm looking in the wrong section.

(It's fine, it's amazing that you still go here to answer peoples' questions)

--EDIT: Nevermind, that's the location of the files that are visible through the File Explorer; not the files within the .dat files! It must be at a different location..--

---EDIT 2: Found the field models, extracted them, but the .bchs seemed to be compressed because nothing is opening them. I'll attach one of them to here.-
Attached to this post:
Attachments: K_F_gera_field_01.bch (7.91 KB)
Edited by Snowbo, Dec 1 2017, 07:04:12 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Superstar Saga DX · Next Topic »
Add Reply

↓ It's not the truth (or is it?) Come back tomorrow to find out! (Joke.) ↓