Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Jee. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Black Walnut; The brown stain found in the green husk of black walnuts contains organic IODINE
Topic Started: Mar 30 2011, 04:14 PM (2,408 Views)
yass
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
This got me excited when I ran across it. I was simply turning up search results when looking for references about the Spiderwort, which is mentioned here. I will post about Potassium in this thread as well so you can see it's benefits to our health and understand the synergistic relationship between Iodine and Potassium when working together, not to mention, the real value of Potassium in and of itself in relation to our health.

As excited and enthusiastic as I was I ran across a reference at the Curezone that caused me to rethink matters, then again later, I thought about somethings that caused me to rethink the reference from Curezone, causing me to want to investigate the matter for myself to remove all doubt. I will explain what's behind the rethinking shortly.
-Love will lead
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

yass
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
I ran across this looking for information about Spiderwort. Interestingly, I read a reference saying that "The brown stain found in the green husk of black walnuts contains organic iodine". Now, this is significant because I've just been doing a study on iodine, potassium iodide, and so on, which led me to a reference about Spiderwort changes colors if there was radiation present. This also mentions Spiderwort as being one of the plants that grows near Black Walnut.

I'm probably going to have to split the posts up.

Black Walnut Trees Produce Juglone, Toxic to Many Other Plants

Quote:

Black Walnuts produce a substance known as juglone which is toxic to many plants, and can cause allergic reactions in humans and horses. Juglone is excreted primarily in the roots, saturating the soil in a radius of 50-60 feet or more in a mature tree. The buds and nut hulls are also high in juglone.

Posted Image

The relationship between plants in which one produces a substance which affects the growth of another is known as "allelopathy", a condition Pliny noted in black walnuts around 77 A.D. (Additional common landscape trees with allelopathic properties are sugar maple, tree-of-heaven, hackberries, southern waxmyrtle, American sycamore, cottonwood, black cherry, red oak, black locust, sassafrass, and American elm.) Juglone is alleopathic to many plants, while other plants are very tolerant of it. (See lists of juglone-sensitive and juglone-tolerant plants below.)

Juglone occurs in the leaves, bark and wood of black walnuts although to a lesser degree than their roots and hulls. A Black Walnut sapling can spread juglone twice the radius of its small canopy. English Walnut and Carpathian Walnut trees are sometimes grafted onto Black Walnut rootstock (Juglans nigra L.) and Butternut rootstock (Juglans cinerea L.), making those trees produce toxins as well. Because juglone is poorly soluble in water, it tends not to leach out of the soil. Many plants such as tomato, potato, blackberry, blueberry, azalea, mountain laurel, rhododendron, red pine and apple may be injured or killed within one to two months of growth within the root zone of these trees. A few other trees closely related to black walnut produce limited quantities of juglone although toxicity is seldom observed. Those trees are butternut, English walnut, pecan, shagbark and bitternut hickory.

Posted Image
Black Walnuts in Husks
Posted Image
Black Walnut Leaves

The presence of juglone is highly concentrated immediately under the leaf canopy of black walnuts, both from the tree roots and the accumulation of dead and dying debris. Decaying roots from a dead black walnut tree can still contain juglone for many years. The leaves containing juglone may be composted where the juglone will break down in several weeks from the presence of bacteria, air and water. If you want to test the toxicity of composted walnut leaves, plant tomato seedlings in it. Tomatoes are highly sensitive to juglone and will quickly die in its presence.

Posted Image

Fresh sawdust and ground black walnut mulch should not be used around plants sensitive to juglone. Black walnut pollen (usually in May) has caused allergic reactions in humans and horses and black walnut bedding in horse stalls has a similar effect. However, mulch made from walnut bark is said to be safe to use on even juglone-sensitive plants after composting 6 months to a year. Frankly, I’d rather not take the chance. And of course, breakdown is directly affected by soil type, micro-organisms and drainage. Spring is a good time to check your vegetable and flower beds for new seedlings emerging from the nut hoard squirrels may have planted the previous fall. Pulling them out now before their roots take hold is quite easy.

There are some benefits to growing black walnuts. One is the delicious nutmeat, and another is the dye you can make from the hulls. Black walnuts have been recommended for pastures on hillsides in the Ohio Valley and Appalachian mountains to hold the soil and prevent erosion. They provide shade for cattle. There is also said to be a beneficial effect on growing Kentucky bluegrass in pastures.

Medicinal Properties of Black Walnuts

Black Walnut has antifungal; anti-parasitic and antiseptic properties. Rubbed on the skin, Black Walnut extract is reputed to be beneficial for eczema, herpes, psoriasis, and skin parasites. External applications have been known to kill ringworm. The Chinese are said to use Black Walnut to kill tapeworms with extremely good success.

The brown stain found in the green husk of black walnuts contains organic iodine, which has antiseptic and healing properties and also makes a good insect repellant.

There are several things a gardener may consider if you have black walnuts on your property. You should locate your garden area as far from the walnuts as possible. If that is not possible, consider raised beds but build them in such a way as to prevent black walnut roots from getting in to the planting area. Keep the area clean of all leaves and other debris from the black walnut trees.

Culinary Properties of Black Walnuts

Black walnuts have a strong, rich, smoky flavor with a hint of wine. Use them any recipe that call for nuts. Caution: the black walnut flavor may overpower everything else. Combine them 1:3 with English walnuts to tone down the flavor.

Black Walnut Chicken Quiche

1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon flour
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
1 cup milk
1 cup Black Walnuts, chopped
1 baked 9-inch pie crust

Mix chicken, cheese, onion, flour and 1/2 cup Black Walnuts. Sprinkle into crust. Mix beaten eggs, milk and mustard. Pour over chicken mixture; top with remaining Black Walnuts. Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes. 6 servings.
-Love will lead

yass
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Juglans nigra Posted Image

Medicinal Uses

Alterative; Anodyne; Antiinflammatory; Astringent; Blood purifier; Blood tonic; Detergent; Emetic; Laxative; Pectoral; Vermifuge.

Dictionary:

1. Alterative = Tending to restore to normal health
2. Anodyne = Capable of soothing or eliminating pain
3. Antiinflammatory = Preventing or reducing inflammation.
4. Astringent = Tending to draw together or constrict tissues; styptic.
5. Blood purifier = agent that rids blood of impurities; cleanse.
6. Blood tonic = invigorating, refreshing and restoring blood
7. Detergent = A cleansing substance that acts similarly to soap
8. Emetic = Causing vomiting.
9. Laxative = stimulates evacuation of the bowels
10. Pectoral = Useful in relieving disorders of the chest or respiratory tract.
11. Vermifuge = Anthelmintic = expelling or destroying parasitic worms especially of the intestine

Black walnut is toxic for horses!

The juice from the fruit husk is applied externally as a treatment for ringworm[222, 257]. The husk is chewed in the treatment of colic and applied as a poultice to inflammations[222].

Posted Image

The bark and leaves are alterative, anodyne, astringent, blood tonic, detergent, emetic, laxative, pectoral and vermifuge[4, 222, 257]. Especially useful in the treatment of skin diseases, black walnut is of the highest value in curing scrofulous diseases, herpes, eczema etc[4]. An infusion of the bark is used to treat diarrhoea and also to stop the production of milk, though a strong infusion can be emetic[21, 257]. The bark is chewed to allay the pain of toothache and it is also used as a poultice to reduce the pain of headaches[222, 257].

A tea made from the leaves is astringent[222]. An infusion has been used to lower high blood pressure[257]. It can be used as a cleansing wash[21]. The pulverized leaves have been rubbed on the affected parts of the body to destroy ringworm[257].

The sap has been used to treat inflammations[257].

Posted Image

Edible Uses

Oil; Sap; Seed; Sweetener.

Seed - raw or cooked. A sweet, rich distinctive delicious flavour it makes an excellent dessert nut and is also widely used in confections, cakes etc[2, 34, 82, 183]. The kernel is hard to extract and the oil it contains quickly turns rancid[101, 159]. The unripe fruits can be pickled[183]. The seed is borne in solitary fruits or in pairs and is 3 - 4cm in diameter[82, 229]. The nuts can leave a permanent stain on clothing[226].

An edible oil is obtained from the seed[101, 183]. A sweet taste but it tends to go rancid quickly[159]. Used as a seasoning in bread, squash and other foods[183].

The tree yields a sweet sap that can be drunk or concentrated into syrup or sugar[101, 102, 183]. It is tapped in spring.

Other Uses

Compost; Dye; Filter; Herbicide; Insecticide; Repellent; Tannin; Wood.

A brown dye is obtained from the nuts, husks and bark[14, 57, 101, 159]. It does not require a mordant[169]. The husks can be dried for later use[169].

A brown dye is obtained from the leaves and stems[168]. It does not require a mordant[168]. The dye turns black if it is prepared in an iron pot[168]. The leaves can be dried for later use[169].

The husks are rich in tannin[226].

The husks can be made into a high quality coal (does the report mean charcoal?[K]) and is then used as a filter[226]. It was used in gas masks[226].

The leaves repel fleas and have been used as a strewing herb[20, 201, 257]. They are also used as an insecticide against bed bugs[222]. The ground up husks are also insecticidal[226].

The leaves produce substances that depress the growth of other plants. These substances are washed onto the ground by rain and inhibit the growth of plants beneath the tree[18, 20, 159]. The roots also produce substances that are toxic to many plant species, especially apples (Malus species), members of the Ericaceae, Potentilla spp and the white pines (certain Pinus spp.)[200].

An alternative ingredient of 'QR' herbal compost activator[32]. This is a dried and powdered mixture of several herbs that can be added to a compost heap in order to speed up bacterial activity and thus shorten the time needed to make the compost[K].

Wood - very ornamental heavy, hard, strong, close-grained, very durable. Easily worked, it glues well, does not warp, shrink or swell much and takes a good polish. It weighs 38lb per cubic foot. A very valuable timber tree and possibly the most sought after wood in N. America, it is used in cabinet making, ship building, veneer etc[1, 46, 61, 82, 101, 149, 227, 229, 235].

http://drclarkia.com/juglans_nigra.htm
-Love will lead

yass
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

http://www.gardengrapevine.com/Walnuts.html

A tip for fishermen:

Posted Image
Quote:

A strange plus for Fishermen: when you empty Walnut wash into mowed grass, Fishworms race for the surface!

They may be sensitive to the toxin Juglone, in the Hulls.

Some Fishermen say that a burlap bag of mashed Walnut Hulls swished in a stream will cause the Fish to float to the surface.

http://www.gardengrapevine.com/Walnuts.html
-Love will lead

yass
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Folklore

The Romans associated the walnut with the Juno, the Roman goddess of women and marriage and the wife of Jupiter. This association led to the unique wedding practice of throwing walnuts at the bride and groom as a symbol of fertility. Women often carried walnuts to promote fertility.

There is a legend that presumes walnuts were one of the gifts presented to Jesus by the three wise men.

Posted Image

English merchant sailors transported walnuts across the globe during Medieval times. Walnuts became so associated with the English that they were often called English walnuts, a name that is still used today.

One custom in Poitou, France is to have the bride and groom dance around the city's gigantic walnut tree. The villagers believe that by participating in this dance the bride will produce an abundance of milk for her baby.

In the French countryside, it was tradition to hang a bag of walnuts from the ceiling beam in the kitchen to represent abundance. Walnuts also represented longevity.

Some young men in the French countryside believed the walnut tree to possess aphrodisiac powers and attempted to sneak a leaf into the shoe of a young woman they admired.

Along with some items of amusing folklore, the walnut tree holds a few dark superstitions. In seventeenth century Italy there was a walnut tree, the Tree of Benevento, that was believed to be the place where witches gathered. According to a legend, the Bishop removed the tree, roots and all, but another witch-haunted tree grew where the original stood.

Another legend warns it is unlucky to plant walnut trees too close to a stable because it might bring illness and death to the animals. Even travelers along the road were warned not to choose the walnut tree as a refuge for the night, fearing they may become ill.

Superstitions and fears also surrounded the shade of the walnut tree. A passage in Pliny's writings states that the shadow of the walnut tree dulled the brain. He also considered the walnut tree a nuisance wherever it was planted.

Another superstition warns that one should not try to grow anything near the walnut tree, because it contains evil or poison.

The medieval Doctrine of Signatures stated that because the shape of the walnut resembled the brain, the nut would be beneficial for all ailments associated with the head and brain, including headaches. Later, toward the end of the fourteenth century, walnuts were thought to cause headaches.

One superstition held that if a walnut were dropped into the lap of a person suspected of being a witch, she would be unable to rise from a sitting position as long as the walnut remained in her lap.

http://www.vegparadise.com/highestperch411.html

I was kind of irritated that I hadn't saved this after having read it so I had to do a search, which luckily, brought it up (doesn't always work that way). I found a couple more results that look interesting. I haven't read them yet but think I'll post references to them with links for later reading maybe.

Tree Medicine and Magic - The Walnut: The Witchcraft Tree for ...

"13 Jan 2009 ... Once believed to be a vessel of evil, the walnut tree has long been ... in North America are the white or butternut walnut and the black walnut tree. ... The leaves from the tree are gathered in the spring or summer and ..."
http://www.suite101.com/content/tree-medicine-and-magic-the-walnut-a89915

The Walnut Tree in Natural Medicine and Magic - Associated Content ...

"22 Nov 2010 ... The leaves from the tree are gathered in the spring or summer and dried ... It once was called the tree of evil since witches in Italy are said to ... Black Walnut is an Herbal Remedy that Can Stop Sweating, and Fight ..."
www.associatedcontent.com/article/6045548/the_walnut_tree_in_natural_medicine.html
-Love will lead

yass
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
-Love will lead

yass
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Interestingly, when I went looking for that witch story which I'd found amiss in the resources I'd collected, I first went to Mountain Rose Herbs thinking I'd read it in their folklore info but it wasn't there. While referencing it, though, I noticed that today, their bulk Black Walnut Hull powder is OUT OF STOCK... Notify me!

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/b.html

It wasn't out of stock yesterday...

Gee, I wonder why... no, really, I don't. I was thinking about getting some, will explain why shortly, here in a bit.

*note - this is an organized, restructured thread to take place of the notes thread on this topic. Original date of this post was Mar 17 2011 for reference.
Edited by yass, Mar 30 2011, 04:22 PM.
-Love will lead

yass
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Black Walnut
Juglans nigra

Black Walnut is one of the most well-known, valuable and largest native hardwoods in North America, widely distributed in the eastern states and extending northward to Canada. The Black Walnut trees grow over 100 feet tall with trunks measuring 3 feet in diameter. They thrive in mixed forests on moist soil with good drainage, commonly found in valleys.

The Black Walnut is covered with a green pulp coating while on the tree, which turns black when it falls on the ground or kept in storage.

In Russia the Black Walnut is known by the common name of Greek Nut (Juglan regia), which grows in Kaukaz and Middle Asia. Russian folk medicine came to rely on the Black Walnut for various botanical treatments.

In India and Pakistan, the Black Walnut is known as Akhort or Akshot, with similar uses in traditional Indian and Pakistani folk medicine.

Black Walnut Hull Extra Strength Tincture vs. Capsules

Pure and potent Black Walnut Hull is available in two different forms: Extra Strength Tincture and freeze dried in capsules. The Black Walnut Hulls are harvested in early fall, while the hulls are still green.

The Black Walnut Hull Extra Strength Tincture is extracted in ethyl alcohol. Although tinctures are an effective way of taking this herbal supplement, the freeze-dried Black Walnut Hulls in capsule form preserves most of the properties of the Black Walnut Hull, even properties that alcohol nullifies in the process of making a tincture. Recovering alcoholics may also prefer the alcohol-free Black Walnut Hull Capsules.

Some people may prefer taking the Black Walnut Hull Capsules to avoid the bitter taste of the liquid tincture. Freeze dried Black Walnut Hull is encased in pharmaceutical grade gelatin capsules, which is derived from pure bovine sources and undergoes extreme pH conditions, ion exchange, and sterilization to effectively eliminate the infectivity of prions.

1 teaspoon of Black Walnut Hull Extra Strength Tincture is equal to 1 capsule of the freeze dried Black Walnut Hull.

http://www.blackwalnuthull.com/
-Love will lead

yass
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Uses for Black Walnut Hulls
By Melissa LaRose, eHow Contributor

Black walnuts are not the easiest nut to crack. Their hulls are tough and are not recommended for composting due to a chemical called juglone that is found in many parts of the black walnut tree. While juglone can be toxic to a few vegetables and plants, it isn't harmful to humans. What can be done with a difficult to crack shell? There are many beneficial uses for black walnut hulls, once they are cracked.

Ground Hulls
1. After the nut meat has been removed, the hulls (shells) of black walnuts are typically ground and sold for use in other products. The ground shells, called meal, is mostly used as an abrasive or a grit. This grit is sold as a tumbling abrasive in the jewelry industry and for polishing soft metals, plastics and fiberglass. Because black walnut shell grit does not break down easily it can be reused many times.

Commercial Appeal
2. Further commercial applications find black walnut shells being used in the petroleum industry as an ingredient in maintaining seals (preventing oil from escaping). Shells are also used as a filtration product where the walnut shell assists in the separation of crude oil and water. In both instances the ground walnut shell is environmentally safe.

Agrashell
3. Referred to as an agrashell product, walnut shells are ground and used as ingredients in filler and adhesive products for plywood. Known as a blasting ingredient, black walnut shell is also used as an extender and a filler in dynamite. Cold casting methods use the shell mixed with resins. The shell is ground in various grades adhering to the needs of each product. Its size is referred to as a sieve size.

Body Care Industry
4. Once ground the shell has the ability to aid exfoliation, which makes it a desirable ingredient for the cosmetics industry. The ground black walnut shell is used in facial scrubs, body scrubs, foot scrubs and in soaps. Some dental abrasives also contain ground shells. Grit sizes tend toward a very tiny granule for denture polishing and slightly larger for smoothing the skin.

Black Walnut Dyes
5. Historically, black walnut has been used as part of the fabric dyeing process for centuries. Black walnut hulls help to produce the color black to a range of sepia tones due to the tannins it contains. Evidence of black walnut use is found in the remains of Pompeiian dyeworks and through the writings of Pliny The Edler, a naturalist and author from the first century.

Read more: Uses for Black Walnut Hulls | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5072513_uses-black-walnut-hulls.html#ixzz1Ga2L2GZ6
-Love will lead

yass
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]

Important to be green hull... for parasites
-Love will lead

yass
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
I'm too lazy to clean this up, get the bullets up, etc. As-is for whatever it's worth.

Posted Image

Excerpts from Practical Herbalism

In recent times, Black Walnut earned a great reputation as a vermifuge and anti-parasitical remedy, particularly for those affecting the intestinal tract. As a rich source of organic iodine, black walnut (the hulls in particular) also gained much popularity as nourishment for the thyroid, especially in the interior parts of the country where sea vegetables were hard to come by.
Indicated Usages – Internal:
# Ballooned or relaxed colon
# Constipation
# Diarrhea
# Parasites (intestinal worms)
# Sore throat, tonsillitis
# Warts

Indicated Usages - External:
# Abscesses, boils
# Acne
# Conjunctivitis, eye disorders
# Nosebleed
# Leukorrhea, yeast infection, candida
# Hemorrhoids
# Eczema, psoriasis, shingles
# Ringworm (tinea)
# Sore throat, tonsillitis
Excerpts from Nutritional Herbology

Black walnut tones and helps heal inflamed tissues. It is also said to be effective in enhancing the elimination of various microbes from the bowel. Herbalists also recognize it as a thyroid stimulant since it is relatively rich in the trace mineral iodine.

Black walnut has traditionally been used to treat hemorrhoids, intestinal worms, wounds and bruises.

Black walnut is typical of astringent plants. Its action is based on its tannin content. Tannins work topically to tone the body tissues they come in contact with. They function by precipitating free proteins which are generally present only in damaged and inflamed tissues. The term tannin comes from its use in tanning animal skins. This makes black walnut useful in treating inflammatory conditions of the bowel with special usefulness in treating hemorrhoids.

The tannins in black walnut are also thought to encourage the elimination of unwanted microbes in the colon. Herbalists believe that the acidic nature of tannins make life uncomfortable for the alkaline loving yeasts and microbes that can infect the bowel. Acid producing flora like lactobacillus acidophilus seems unaffected by the presence of tannins.

The content of iodine in black walnut is greater than most herbs. I have not been able to find any printed history of its use as an iodine supplement. Many herbalists report great success using black walnut to treat thyroid deficiency conditions.

Contains astringent compounds that shrink inflamed tissues of the digestive system. It also contains bitter compounds that are antifungal and decrease the secretion of fluids in the digestive system. Black Walnut has been used to treat hemorrhoids, inflammatory skin conditions, colitis, intestinal worms and parasites and fevers.
Excerpts from The How to Herb Book

Black Walnut is most commonly associated with killing and expelling parasites, internal and external. Black Walnut is also effective on the malaria parasite and on tapeworm.

* Used for Herpes and Impetigo. Paint sores with extract and take internally.
* High in organic potassium, iodine, and manganese.
* Muscle and nerve food; strengthens and builds tooth enamel, contains natural fluoride.
* Balances sugar levels, regulates body fluids.
* Helps to burn up toxins which can then be carried out of the body by laxative herbs.
* Parts used – leaves, bark, and nut hulls.

Has been used in the following:
# Antiseptic
# Athlete’s foot
# Boils
# Cankers (extract)
# Cold sores (extract)
# Dandruff
# Eczema
# Herpes (extract)
# Impetigo
# Malaria parasite
# Mouth sores
# Poison ivy, oak
# Ringworm
# Skin rash
# Sores, ulcerated
# Tape worm
# Tooth enamel
# Uterus, prolapsed
# Worms - parasites, expels
From Our Reading and/or Experience...

* Avoid internally during pregnancy.
* We use it in tincture combinations and capsules. Of course, it can be used in many other types internal and external remedies. Except as a tea, as powders are not normally used in tea combinations.
* Black Walnut can be used to benefit anyone: men, women (avoid internally during pregnancy), children and animals.
* It can be used as often as you would like, and in any way you choose.
* As is the case with most herbs, Black Walnut should be stored in a dark, dry, and cool place.

http://www.morethanalive.com/Black-Walnut-hull-powder
-Love will lead

yass
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
I'm going to abruptly cross over to Potassium now, and will revert back to black walnut hulls post-potassium.

Excerpted from The Miracle of GARLIC & VINEGAR

pg 36

And it all boiled down to one very simple word...

Potassium

T
hat's because folk medicine practitioners, like Jarvis, believe that potassium is the most important of all of the minerals that are necessary for good health. "It is so essential to the life of every living thing that without it there would be no life," Jarvis wrote.

In the last five to 10 years, orthodox medical researchers all over the world have proven the importance of potassium in a number of ways, thus endorsing the findings of the country doctor from New England. Dr. Louis Tobian of the University of Minnesota School of Medicine in Minneapolis, conducted a number of important experiments, which clearly demonstrated that a proper potassium intake can dramatically reduce the symptoms in patients suffering from heartbeat irregularities by well in excess of 50 percent. It will also ensure that every single chemical reaction in the body works at its best. Other studies conducted in a number of centers have shown that nerve and muscle functions throughout the entire human body can suffer severely when the sodium-potassium balance is off.

One fundamental fact all doctors know today is that potassium counteracts the damaging effects of sodium and prevents high blood pressure. It stops unwanted fluid retention and regulates the body's water balance. It normalized the heart rhythm and works in cells to keep sodium in check.

Dr. Tobian recommends eating a banana and a potato or grapefruit every day to make sure that you get all the potassium you body needs. They are very low in fat and high in fiber. What's more, they have so few calories that they can be eaten without worrying about weight gain.

To get all of the potassium that your body should ideally have every day, you cannot find a better source than vinegar, writes Jarvis - and apple cider vinegar is the best kind.

Dr. Blodgett believed there is something that occurs in the vinegar that makes the potassium more effective than if it comes from any other source. There are two reasons for that. First, other minerals in the vinegar activate and 'potentiate' the potassium - that is to say, they make it work better. Dr. Jarvis agrees.

He writes: "I have come to the conclusion that potassium alone is not as effective in producing results as potassium with associated minerals, some of which must activate the potassium.

"One reason for the versatility of apple cider vinegar as a remedy in Vermont folk medicine is that it associates minerals with potassium. These are phosphorus chlorine, sodium, magnesium, calcium, sulfur, iron, fluorine, silicon and trace minerals."

The second reason vinegar makes potassium so effective is that it presents the mineral in an acid medium, "and nature always combines potassium with an acid. I'd have to guess potassium needs an acid medium to work," Blodgett concluded.

Proper Growth

"D
rink your vinegar and you'll grow up big and strong" is probably not something you heard in your house when you were a child, but it would havve been absolutely true had your mother said it.

Potassium's main function is to promote cell, tissue and organism growth. This also means that potassium is necessary to replace worn-out tissue and dead cells. Basically, it sustains life. Slow growth in a child - or a failure to grow - could well be a sign of potassium deficiency, and so are signs of premature aging such as loss of hair, tooth decay or fingernails that are either brittle and tear, or soft and bend. That means that young and old alike need plenty of potassium.

"Potassium requirements are at a maximum when they are being used in infancy to build body tissues. But the requirements continue throughout life and there is no substitute for potassium," Jarvis writes.

And there is no better source of potassium that vinegar - particularly apple cider vinegar.

-Love will lead

yass
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Signs of a Potassium Deficiency

1. Loss of mental alertness; difficulty with decision-making; lapses in memory
  2. More frequent episodes of mental and muscle fatigue; loss of stamina and easy tiring
  3. Sensitivity to cold and a propensity to cold hands and feet
  4. Calluses on the bottom of the feet and growing corns
  5. Constipation troubles
  6. Susceptibility to sickness; frequent colds
  7. Temporary losses of appetite with bouts of nausea and vomiting
  8. Slow healing of cuts and bruises
  9. Frequent and bothersome itches
  10. Bothersome tooth decay
  11. Pimples
  12. Twitching of the eyelids or the corners of the mouth
  13. Muscle cramps, especially in the legs, most often at night
  14. Difficulty relaxing
  15. Difficulty sleeping
  16. Soreness in the joints; other symptoms of arthritis

If you detect more than five of these signs, you could be suffering from a potassium deficiency. While it may be advisable to see a physician, remember that as you grow older you need more potassium. Since this mineral is non-toxic, it's a good idea to increase your intake of it whether you see a doctor or not.
-Love will lead

yass
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
How to Increase Potassium Intake

1. Shake paprika in your food once or twice a day - it's a rich source of potassium.
  2. Drink a glass of grape juice twice a day.
  3. Alternatives are: a glass of apple juice or cranberry juice twice a day.
  4. Eat a large banana every day.
  5. Turn to grapefruits and other citrus as long as they're in season.
  6. Eat two large potatoes each day (baked, boiled or cooked in some other way that does not bathe them in fat).
  7. Eat two or three raw carrots a day.
  8. Add tomatoes to your salad and tomato sauce to your pasta.
  9. Eat at least two salads a day. Go heavy on the leafy greens, especially spinach, watercress, escarole, romaine lettuce and other dark leafy greens.
  10. When cataloupe is in season, make it a regular treat.
  11. Snack on sunflower seeds.

Note:

Dr. Earl Mindell, author of The Vitamin Bible, says alcohol, coffee, sugar and diuretics are the enemies of potassium. If you drink large amounts of coffee, you may ironically find yourself the victim of frequent fatigue. That is the direct result of potassium depletion.
-Love will lead

yass
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
This would be the last thing I brought in before I read something that caused me to think twice, do some 'lot's of searching' and not coming up with anything that would contradict the veracity of the statement I'd read about Black Walnuts. I would think again later and decide on what the best course would be to do, to approach the truth of the matter, and I'll talk about that in the post after next.

BLACK WALNUT HULL

<<Black Radish | Black Walnut Leaf>>

Posted Image

Botanical: Juglans nigra
Family: Juglandaceae (walnut)
Other common names: Walnut, Greek Nut, Carya, Jupiter's Nut

Rich in vitamin C and other important nutrients, Black Walnut Hull is an exceptional laxative that relieves constipation and promotes bowel regularity. It is also thought to lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels, as well as burn off fatty materials and toxins in the blood. Black Walnut Hull is often used to expel internal parasites, including ringworms, pinworms and tapeworms, and its antiviral qualities may even do away with troublesome warts!

Disclaimer:
The information presented herein by Herbal Extracts Plus is intended for educational purposes only. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat or prevent disease. Individual results may vary, and before using any supplements, it is always advisable to consult with your own health care provider.

History:
The Walnut tree is a large, handsome, deciduous hardwood with a rough bark that sometimes exceeds one hundred feet in height. There are fifteen species of Walnut growing worldwide in the dry, temperate zones of Asia, Europe and North and South America. Six species are native to the United States, and the Black Walnut is among them, growing in the eastern states and up through Canada. Black Walnut is one of the best-known, largest, and most valuable native hardwoods, but it is not plentiful. It does, however, grow rapidly in mixed forests and rich, moist, well-drained soil, such as found in valleys. Certain plants are sensitive to the roots and leaves of Black Walnuts, which exude a distinctive odor when bruised, and will not grow under or near them. Walnut is a highly ornamental tree and is often planted for roadside shade and shelterbelts. It is cultivated for commercial walnut production in Europe and the United States, where it is used for culinary and medicinal purposes, and its beautiful, figured wood is made into fine paneling, salad bowels and used in cabinet making. Walnut has been used in herbal medicine for thousands of years, with the Roman naturalist, Pliny, mentioning it in the first century A.D. Its botanical species, Juglans, is derived from the Latin reference to the god, Jupiter, and glans, meaning "nut" or "walnut." In the Golden Age, when men lived on acorns, the gods dined on walnuts, thus providing us with another common name, Jupiter's Nut. The English name is partly Teutonic in origin, with the Germans calling it wallnuss. The seventeenth-century herbalist, Nicholas Culpeper, prescribed Walnut to draw poisonous venom from snakebites and spider bites. Native Americans used the Black Walnut Hull for the very same purpose we use it today - as an extremely effective laxative. Long before vitamins and minerals were discovered, herbalists used Black Walnut both externally and internally for easing scrofula, ulcers, wounds, rickets, scurvy and as a gargle; and Russian military hospitals also used Walnut as a cleansing and quick healing medication for wounds and ulcers. Walnut is a popular food and is included in candy, ice cream and cake flavoring. The outside pulp of the nut is used as a dye (it was actually the main source of brown hair dye until early in the twentieth century). In the last century, Black Walnut Hull was known as one of the "most mild and efficacious laxatives" available, and it was listed in the United States Pharmacopœia from 1820 through 1905. The leaves, husks, inner bark and nuts have remained a valuable treatment in herbal medicine to this day, where it is now used clinically for many kinds of skin diseases and as a laxative. Some of the constituents in Black Walnut include beta-carotene, B-vitamins and vitamin C, fatty acids (linoleic, oleic, linolenic, palmitic), calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, lysine, protein, limonene, sulfur, iodine, phosphorus, quercetin, potassium, selenium, silicon, zinc, tannin and juglone (5 hydroxy-1, 4-napthoquinone).

Beneficial Uses:
Black Walnut Hull is highly valued as a very effective herbal laxative and used to relieve constipation and to promote bowel regularity. It is strongly purgative, but at the same time is considered safe.

As a vermifuge, Black Walnut Hull cleanses the body of many types of parasites. It expels intestinal parasites during the normal course of laxative-induced cleansing of the body; and the hulls' high tannin and juglone content is believed to oxygenate the blood and kill parasites. Black Walnut Hull is particularly effective against pinworm, tapeworm and ringworm infestation.

Black Walnut Hull is said to be a fine antiviral that is effective in removing warts, which are growths caused by viruses. It may also be helpful in cases of herpes virus and cold sores.

As an antifungal, Black Walnut Hull is thought to be an excellent treatment for fungal infection, relieving leprosy-type skin diseases, athlete's foot and Candida albicans. Topically, a salve of Black Walnut has helped to alleviate nail fungus.

Black Walnut Hull is considered an antiseptic with antibacterial agents in the essential oil (juglone) and a high organic iodine content that combats infectious micro-organisms and bacterial infection. It has been used to combat malaria, syphilis, boils, acne and other bacterial infections.

Black Walnut Hull may help to lower blood pressure and serum cholesterol levels and is believed to burn up toxins and fatty materials while balancing blood sugar levels. This activity may help to ward off heart disease.

The tannins in Black Walnut Hull (and Leaves) possess an astringent quality that is thought to shrink the sweat glands and reduce excessive sweating. The herb is said to help control menorrhagia, the excessive loss of blood during periods. It is also used to control diarrhea.

Black Walnut Hull is considered a tonic that aids digestion and the intestinal system. It helps to relieve colic, heartburn and flatulence. As a cholagogue, Black Walnut stimulates the flow of bile into the intestines and is thought to ease bilious colic and pain in the spleen.

Based on Turkish folk medicine, the husks or leaves of Walnut species may be beneficial for internal use in the treatment of glandular disorders including thyroid problems.

Recommended Dosage:
Take two (2) capsules, one (1) time each day with water at mealtimes.

Contraindications:

Currently, there are no major warnings or contraindications with the use of Black Walnut Hull Herbal Supplement, but because of the lack of research, little is known about the potential side effects of Black Walnut Hulls or Leaves. However, allergy to tree nuts is common, and allergic reactions to Walnuts have taken place. People who are allergic to other nuts, especially pecans, may also react to Walnuts or Walnut products. Because there is a high tannin content in Black Walnut, it should not be used on a continual basis.

http://www.herbalextractsplus.com/black-walnut.cfm
-Love will lead

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Garden and Healing Herbs · Next Topic »
Add Reply