Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DND to monitor No. Korea rocket launch
Topic Started: Mar 22 2012, 03:42 AM (6,815 Views)
seWer Rat
Member Avatar
amateur sewer cleaner

Only if they shoot down the rocket.
To avoid criticism, write nothing, say nothing, do nothing, BE NOTHING.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
icefrog
Member Avatar


But it looks like Japan and SK are serious in shooting it down if it strays on their territory. No?

Sign up for the Philippines' first E-wallet via this referral and get PHP 24.00 as a gift credited to your account:
https://coins.ph/invite/gphUpV
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
seWer Rat
Member Avatar
amateur sewer cleaner

It seems and with the super advanced US radar SBX on scene to provide accurate coordinates to its allies, anything is possible.

Japan warship leaves base before DPRK rocket launch

http://europe.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2012...nt_14961664.htm

TOKYO - Japan's Maritime Self-Defense Force's Aegis ship Kirishima on Saturday morning left its Yokosuka base for the East China Sea before a rocket launch by the Domestic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), according to local media reports.
Kirishima was carrying sea-based interceptor missiles and will be deployed on the sea with two other Aegis ships, which together are ready to destroy the rocket in outer space if it begins falling into Japanese territory, said local media.
To avoid criticism, write nothing, say nothing, do nothing, BE NOTHING.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Tsukiyomi
Member
[ *  *  * ]
Even if they shoot down the rocket, this in and of itself will not cause an automatic WW3. I could see a nuclear test conducted in a short period of time after a shoot down and/or even a shelling or naval skirmish but no ww3 right off the bat. Chances are both sides will get reeled back in before things get too brilliant.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
icefrog
Member Avatar


Talk of the Day -- Taiwan on guard against N. Korean rocket launch

Quote:
 
North Korea announced last month that it will launch a long-range rocket in mid-April to carry an earth observation satellite into orbit.

While Pyongyang said the satellite launch was one of many activities held to celebrate the centennial birthday of the country's late founder Kim Il-sung, the United States and North Korea's neighbors believed the move could be a disguised long-range missile test.

United States President Barack Obama has warned that the satellite launch would jeopardize a bilateral food aid agreement reached in early March. The deal is now on hold.

Japanese Defense Minister Naoki Tanaka even issued an order on March 30 for Japan's military to shoot down the North Korean rocket, if necessary, to protect Japan from being hit.

According to a local newspaper, Taiwan's military has also ordered its intelligence units to keep close tabs on North Korea's "Kwangmyongsong-3" satellite launch.

Taiwan could also use its newly acquired Patriot PAC-3 missile defense system to intercept the North Korean rocket were it to violate the country's territory


http://focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebNews_Det...20042&Type=aTOD


----------------


We should get our own Patriot PAC-3 missile defense system and if the US won't approve that the usual alternative is the equally proven Russian S-300.

Sign up for the Philippines' first E-wallet via this referral and get PHP 24.00 as a gift credited to your account:
https://coins.ph/invite/gphUpV
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Ayoshi
Member Avatar


Govt gears for North Korea rocket launch; warns vs. sea, air travel

Posted Image

MANILA, Philippines - (UPDATE2: 3:41 PM) The government is gearing for the planned long-range ballistic missile test of North Korea, which will start next week, announcing that it will close down airways and advised against sea travel in parts of Northern Luzon.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said the projected path of the missile will be 190 nautical miles northeast of Sta. Ana, Cagayan and 140 nautical miles east of Polilio Island, Quezon, well within the exclusive economic zone of the country.

North Korea is planning to launch its missiles between April 12 to 16, between 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. (or between 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. Manila time), despite protests from various countries.

'Raining refrigerators'

Debris the size of refrigerators could rain next week over parts of Luzon, as North Korea pushes ahead with a rocket launch despite warnings by the international community, defense and disaster officials said Tuesday, issuing warnings on avoiding being hit by these.

The good news, however, is that latest intelligence reports received by the Philippines suggest that the missile does not carry plutonium or uranium, National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council executive director Benito Ramos said on Tuesday.

Ramos said the most critical date is on April 15, which marks the centenary of the birth date of North Korea’s late founding father, Kim Il-Sung.

“The debris will be the size of refrigerators. If the missile overshoots, we are expecting possible landfall in Camarines Norte and Catanduanes,” Ramos said.

“Our advice is for residents to wait indoors and wait for the proper advisory if there is need for evacuation,” Ramos said.

Don't go out to sea

Ramos also appealed to fishermen and other sea vessels in Northern Luzon to refrain from venturing out to sea, particularly in the areas of Batanes, Calayan group of islands, Babuyan group of islands, Aparri, the coastal towns of Isabela, Baler, Casiguran and Polilio Islands.

The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines will also close affected airways during the projected period of the missile launch. A no-fly zone will be implemented from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m. Manila time, or an hour before and two hours after the launch, from April 12 to 16.

Ferdinand Tienzo, assistant chief, air traffic control of CAAP, said about 20 international flights to and from Japan and South Korea will be diverted to other routes to avoid the path of the rocket.

CAAP said it has already informed the airlines and private aircrafts of the advisory.

"Don't venture out to sea, don't fly out," Ramos stressed during a coordinating conference on Tuesday. "We do not have the capability to shoot down the missile."

The Philippine Nuclear Research Institute (PNRI) said that there is no nuclear threat in the missile launch, but it will remain prepared. Dr. Alumanda dela Rosa, PNRI chief, said they are nevertheless ready to activate its "RAD" (national radiological emergency preparedness and response) plan in case of a nuclear threat.

"Out team is ready in case of a nuclear threat," dela Rosa said.

The Philippines reiterated it has no capability to shoot down the North Korea rocket and will have to rely on other countries that have the capability.

Gazmin hopeful, but . . .

Meanwhile, Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin said the government remains hopeful that North Korea will heed calls from various countries to stop the missile launch, but admits that "based on historical facts, Korea does not listen to the majority."

"We have done our part, the next thing that we should do when the launch is effected is we have to prepare for the emergencies that will happen just in case it lands, the debris will [fall on] the land area of our territory. We have alerted the NDRRMC to give the necessary information and to do whatever there is to do in order to protect ourselves. We have also given instructions to the Philippine Navy to instruct ships to be out of the path, probable path of the missile test and also the airspace will have to be protected," Gazmin said.

SOURCE
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Tsukiyomi
Member
[ *  *  * ]
The chance of anyone getting hit by that debris is remote as hell. Mostly fear mongering and soon prices of commodities at the palangkes will shoot up due to "concerns over supply".

I doubt a bamboo hut or a thin tin roof will do much to stop any falling debris that did end up raining over land.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
aktibista
Recruit
[ * ]
Joma Sison must be gloating that the nuclear debris would be hitting Philippines. A gruesomee illwisher like the teen in the movie DAMIEN. :lollol:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
israeli
Member Avatar


Philippines braces for North Korea rocket launch
By Matikas Santos
INQUIRER.net
2:35 pm | Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012


MANILA, Philippines—The Philippines on Tuesday said it will implement a no-fly zone and advised all sea-faring vessels, including fishermen, from going out to sea in the area where North Korea’s rocket is expected to splash down into the sea.

Airlines and private aircrafts will not be allowed to pass through the no-fly zone 190 nautical miles northeast of Sta. Ana, Cagayan province and 140 nautical miles east of Polilio Island, Quezon province, where the rocket is expected to land.

Ferdinand Tienzo, assistant chief, air traffic control of the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) said the no-fly zone will be implemented from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m. from April 12 to 16.

All affected international flights will take other routes to avoid the rocket’s path, Tienzo said.
Benito Ramos, executive director of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, advised ships and fishermen from nearby areas such as Polilio Island and Baler to steer clear of the rocket’s path.


Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin told reporters that the defense department is not planning any evacuation “but advised [nearby residents] to avoid the area or seek cover.”

<snipped>

Gazmin added that, historically “North Korea has not been successful in its previous operations.”

He said that the rocket could stray closer or farther to Luzon from its target path over the Pacific Ocean. “We need to be careful and prepare what needs to be done in order to protect ourselves from the debris,” Gazmin said.


<snipped>

Gazmin however said that “based on historical facts, [North Korea] does not listen to the majority.”

The United States and other countries have expressed alarm and said that the rocket launch is actually a ballistic missile test.

South Korea and Japan have already declared that they will shoot down the rocket if it threatens to enter their territory. The Philippines however has no capability to shoot down the rocket.


More of the article here.
"To secure peace is to prepare for war." - Carl Von Clausewitz
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Parastriker
Member Avatar
Member
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:
 
"We do not have the capability to shoot down the missile."


Hell. At least he was honest enough to say so.

Bets on how many people would come out and go "kalakal" those debris?
Success through information, victory through disinformation.

"Good leaders make efficient followers. Great leaders make good followers. But true leaders make leaders out of mere followers."

"Measuring the intelligence of a common internet user is as easy as looking at his/her grammar."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Military and Law Enforcement · Next Topic »
Add Reply