| Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| 20 fishermen killed in Basilan | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Jan 24 2012, 01:15 PM (507 Views) | |
| seWer Rat | Jan 24 2012, 01:15 PM Post #1 |
|
amateur sewer cleaner
![]()
|
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/133199/20-fis..._medium=twitter ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines—At least 20 fishermen were killed in an attack by still unidentified men off Sibago Island in Basilan on Monday, military and police officials said. Colonel Jose Johriel Cenabre, Marine operations officer of the Naval Forces in Western Mindanao, said the bodies of the slain fishermen had been recovered and were to be brought here on Tuesday. Chief Superintendent Bienvenido Latag, Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao police director, said the fishermen were aboard three fishing boats when attacked by an unspecified number of gunmen. The identities of the victims and the killers are still being determined, he said. |
| To avoid criticism, write nothing, say nothing, do nothing, BE NOTHING. | |
![]() |
|
| AZKALS | Jan 24 2012, 01:35 PM Post #2 |
![]()
|
Reuters news has reported 15 casualties so far... |
|
| |
![]() |
|
| zztopy | Jan 24 2012, 04:49 PM Post #3 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
lets not be too fast accusing the malaysians of having a hand in this tragic incident |
![]() |
|
| arvcab | Jan 25 2012, 07:21 AM Post #4 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
http://ph.news.yahoo.com/gunmen-kill-15-ph...-025328911.html Gunmen have killed 15 Philippine fishermen and wounded three others in a sea attack by suspected local rivals, the military said Tuesday. The fishermen were killed by men armed with assault rifles off the insurgency-torn southern island of Basilan on Monday, regional military spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Randolph Cabangbang told AFP. "They (victims) were fishing on another group's turf," Cabangbang told AFP in a telephone interview. He said the authorities had ruled out the potential involvement of Islamist militants or Muslim guerrillas, who are also active in Basilan. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but police have identified several suspects and arrests are expected shortly, Cabangbang said. A military unit was ordered to provide security for police investigators as well as to help track down the suspects, described by the authorities as heavily armed. "There is an operation to track down the attackers, who could also be fishermen. This attack could be connected to a turf war," said regional military commander Major-General Noel Coballes. The victims were all residents of the southern city of Pagadian, about 160 kilometres (100 miles) to the northeast, and were attacked as soon as their three boats approached the tiny island of Sibago, off Basilan's east coast. Other fishermen in the area later discovered the shooting and took the three wounded victims to hospital, Cabangbang said. The bodies of the 15 dead fishermen were taken back to Pagadian, he added. Rights groups have said a culture of impunity pervades the Philippines, where there are more than 1.1 million unlicensed firearms, on top of the 1.3 million guns in the hands of authorised police and military personnel. The combined tally means there is roughly one firearm for every 40 Filipinos. |
![]() |
|
| Frenzy | Jan 25 2012, 07:43 PM Post #5 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Police disarms villagers in killing probe MANILA, Philippines — Philippine police say they have disarmed villagers on a southern island as part of an investigation into a massacre that killed 15 fishermen in a suspected feud over lucrative fishing grounds. Regional police officer Felicisimo Khu said Wednesday that the Sibago Island residents and their confiscated guns will be tested to determine if they fired the weapons in Monday’s attack on a group of rival fishermen who were aboard three boats. He says no suspects have been named. Khu says only four bodies have been recovered from the sea but the other 11 fishermen are missing and presumed dead. He says visiting U.S. troops sent a plane to help in the search. http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/134167/police...n-killing-probe |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · General Military and Law Enforcement · Next Topic » |









![]](http://z1.ifrm.com/static/1/pip_r.png)
2:48 PM Jul 13