Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
AFP Modernization Program [Thread 1]
Topic Started: Aug 22 2004, 11:30 AM (252,072 Views)
icefrog
Member Avatar

Northern Luzon Command eyes new radar stations to boost territorial defense

Quote:

CAMP AQUINO, Philippines – The Philippine military in Northern Luzon is seeking to recommend setting up new radar stations to strengthen the country’s territorial defense efforts.

“We are proposing to put up littoral observatory stations in Batanes, Ilocos Norte, Cagayan and Aurora,” Major General Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr., Armed Forces Northern Luzon Command chief, told reporters in a press briefing here Friday.

He said that there were 20 radar stations nationwide, with two in Luzon — Zambales and Pangasinan, but said that these were only “limited” and did not cover the whole area.

“We are not only interested in West Philippine Sea, but we are also much interested in the Pacific Ocean,” said Catapang.

“We have so much resources. They say the Benham Rise has as much resources as the Scarborough Shoal in West Philippine Sea (South China Sea),” he said.

Read more: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/86123/northern-luzon-command-eyes-new-radar-stations-to-boost-territorial-defense#ixzz2fRRtIHSi
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

Offline Profile Goto Top

icefrog
Member Avatar

Malampaya funds for AFP upgrade urged

Quote:

MANILA, Philippines - Amid allegations that the government’s share in the earnings of the Malampaya natural gas project had been misused, two senators are pushing for the use of part of the amount for modernizing the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).

Senators Ralph Recto and Jinggoy Estrada outlined their proposal in separate bills.

They said a portion of the estimated P130-billion Malampaya fund should be used to procure military equipment and improve the training and capabilities of the country’s military.

In his Senate Bill 466, Recto is also batting for a review of the past implementation of the AFP modernization program.

“Regular review of its accomplishment shows that the slow implementation was due to the lack of funds coming from the national government,” Recto said.

Through SB 466, Recto seeks to tap a substantial amount from the Malampaya project for the AFP Modernization Act Trust Fund.

Quote:

Recto said the amount can substantially support the P75-billion funding requirements of the AFP for its modernization program over the next five years.

The program includes acquisition of communications equipment, lead-in fighter trainer jets, closed air support aircraft, long-range patrol aircraft, radar systems and engineering equipment, among others. –

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2013/09/22/1236702/malampaya-funds-afp-upgrade-urged

------

Not only a part of the Malampaya funds but also a part of the PDAF esp. the rest of the suspended and un-released PDAFs for the rest for this year.

Offline Profile Goto Top

captdiegogarcia
[ *  *  * ]
icefrog
Sep 22 2013, 01:48 AM
Malampaya funds for AFP upgrade urged

Quote:

MANILA, Philippines - Amid allegations that the government’s share in the earnings of the Malampaya natural gas project had been misused, two senators are pushing for the use of part of the amount for modernizing the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).

Senators Ralph Recto and Jinggoy Estrada outlined their proposal in separate bills.

They said a portion of the estimated P130-billion Malampaya fund should be used to procure military equipment and improve the training and capabilities of the country’s military.

In his Senate Bill 466, Recto is also batting for a review of the past implementation of the AFP modernization program.

“Regular review of its accomplishment shows that the slow implementation was due to the lack of funds coming from the national government,” Recto said.

Through SB 466, Recto seeks to tap a substantial amount from the Malampaya project for the AFP Modernization Act Trust Fund.

Quote:

Recto said the amount can substantially support the P75-billion funding requirements of the AFP for its modernization program over the next five years.

The program includes acquisition of communications equipment, lead-in fighter trainer jets, closed air support aircraft, long-range patrol aircraft, radar systems and engineering equipment, among others. –

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2013/09/22/1236702/malampaya-funds-afp-upgrade-urged

------

Not only a part of the Malampaya funds but also a part of the PDAF esp. the rest of the suspended and un-released PDAFs for the rest for this year.

I really DONT understand this.... because the 75Billion is GUARANTEED by Pnoy. The initial outlay of 75B in 5 years fall under Pnoy's administration.

But the thing is the extended modernization law doesn't limit the 5 year budget to just 75B. In fact it's just the minimum. Now with the issues cropping up that even the frigate acquisition budget is choking already, this proposal of the senators are a welcome sign. But I don't think you even needs ANOTHER LAW. The Malampaya fund had been used to acquire BRP Gorio, correct? And there is a modernization law with a minimum of 75B for the 1st 5 years. I believe the president can easily sign an allocation right away for those funds to the AFP.

The actual concern is, although we have a supportive president, Pnoy is not all out keen in pushing for a full blown modernization. Partly due to pressure from china and the US... partly because he doesn't want to have a militaristic legacy. With this in mind I believe Pnoy would be more keen on allocating Malampaya to address the country's ENERGY CONCERNS than the country's military concerns.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

icefrog
Member Avatar

^ I hope you are aware that there is also a Malampaya scam similar to and rumored to be even bigger than the pork barrel scam.

Looks like Sen. Recto wants to allocate it to something everyone can see and feel and save it from being corrupted further. Unlike the pork barrel, the royalty from the Malampaya keeps on churning. We can't suspend the royalties can't we? If they need to re-allocate it somewhere else then might as well be on the AFP modernization.

As far as I know the current law limits the use of the Malampaya fund in other allocations not related to Energy and so we can't allocate something to buy big-ticket items for AFP modernization. Hence, the needed new law.
Edited by icefrog, Sep 22 2013, 03:04 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

captdiegogarcia
[ *  *  * ]
icefrog
Sep 22 2013, 02:59 AM
^ I hope you are aware that there is also a Malampaya scam similar to and rumored to be even bigger than the pork barrel scam.

Looks like Sen. Recto wants to allocate it to something everyone can see and feel and save it from corruption.
yes I am aware but I don't get your point.

malampaya fund is covered by an existing law that regulates it's use and defense is part of the lawful allocation although if I can remember limited to acquisitions that supports the security of WPS, particularly the malampaya oil fields.

recto particularly said malampaya can support 75B, NOT ADDED to it. that's my concern. Pnoy is not yet asking anybody that he have a problem allocating for 75B. And I don't think he will have a problem given the prospect of our economy we have a lot of funds. correct?

What the good senator from batangas can do is to file an augmentation to the fund inline to acquisition of the DND that was scrapped due to budget concerns. that's were they can help in light of the existing modernization law. Coz I don't think Pnoy would allocated a budget greater that what is already allotted-75B.

My point is the ball on the modernization falls entirely now on the hands of Pnoy. The AFP/DND have already proposed their plans, some were downsized, some were scrapped entirely to fit the existing budget of 75B. What the senator from batangas is saying is that he can alleviate the budget allocation, some can be taken from malampaya but its still 75B? so what's the use really? it just gives the president extra money to use elsewhere.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

icefrog
Member Avatar

^ Now, I don't get your point. If he wants to alleviate the budget allocation/constraints - what's wrong with that, exactly? I also do not know what you meant by support but not added to? Of course it's to provide additional funds for the AFP modernization. What else could it mean?? The P75B is already accounted for and it's source of funding were already tackled even before it was signed. In fact, Drilon et al grilled the DND/AFP for the source of the P75B fund and asked them how they'll come up with P75B. Any newly found source of funds will be in addition to the P75B as far as I know.

You are making it sound like they can't go over the P75B fund whether or not they come up with additional sources of funds for the AFP modernization.
Edited by icefrog, Sep 22 2013, 03:31 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Maubanin70
[ *  *  * ]
they could use it as Energy ( in defense of the energy field) I think that's how they where able to use it to purchase the 1st WHEC.
Online Profile Goto Top

captdiegogarcia
[ *  *  * ]
read again your quote. then tell me if they're trying to add... because I don't think so. augmentation would atleast require the blessing of the president since you are messing with the defense budget already, albeit in a positive way. the act of recto is on a personal capacity not inline to the executive's prerogatives, which would mean it is only budgetary in nature if ever it push thru and hate to say it just a dagdag-bawas scheme (but not a scam). kung magdagdag ang malampaya sa afp, magbawas namn si pnoy sa afp. at the end of the day the amount would still be the same, and the procurements the same. so what gives?

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

captdiegogarcia
[ *  *  * ]
Maubanin70
Sep 22 2013, 03:33 AM
they could use it as Energy ( in defense of the energy field) I think that's how they where able to use it to purchase the 1st WHEC.
I believe what recto is trying to propose is to expand malampaya fund to be available to entire afp and not only limited to the security of malampaya.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

icefrog
Member Avatar

captdiegogarcia
Sep 22 2013, 03:40 AM
read again your quote. then tell me if they're trying to add... because I don't think so. augmentation would atleast require the blessing of the president since you are messing with the defense budget already, albeit in a positive way. the act of recto is on a personal capacity not inline to the executive's prerogatives, which would mean it is only budgetary in nature if ever it push thru and hate to say it just a dagdag-bawas scheme (but not a scam). kung magdagdag ang malampaya sa afp, magbawas namn si pnoy sa afp. at the end of the day the amount would still be the same, and the procurements the same. so what gives?
What gives is you are confused. The funding for the WHECS was taken from the Malampaya right? Did it add or subtract from the P75B AFP modernization fund? No, right? It's separate. So, the procurement would not still be the same. What's new on Recto's proposal then? He is probably trying to take way the restrictions on how the Malampaya fund is used so that it can be used by the AFP to buy things related to or not related to safe-guarding energy assets at WPS.

Maybe the proper term to be used here is that it will supplement the P75B fund.

Since this is a new law then yes of course it will still be upto the President in the end because he needs to sign it.

Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Military and Law Enforcement · Next Topic »
Locked Topic