| Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| Very old infos. But what the heck just wanna share | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: May 3 2006, 11:56 PM (727 Views) | |
| shipwreck | May 3 2006, 11:56 PM Post #1 |
|
Trainee
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
These infos are quite old.. wonder what happened.. US trade mission on observation tour at Clark CLARK FIELD— A 32-man American trade mission are here on an observation tour. The mission is sponsored by Boeing Co. and Philippine International Trading .Corp. and is composed of top executives [from leading American corporations. The delegates arrived yesterday. The mission, headed by Boeing, will represent a cross section of U.S. industries with companies like Parker Hannifin, Vickers, Caepell, Picker International, Hughes Electronics, Waste Products Institute, WW Ranstech, Northrop Gruman IT Services, Electronic data System, Honeywell and General Electric. The companies represent various sectors in automotive, electronics, environmental, metal-working and information technology. Clark Development Corp. (GRC) president and CEO Romeo David will head the delegation that will welcome the U.S. trade mission. Later, a grand reception at the Bicentennial Park here hosted by CDC and Clark International Airport Corp. (CIACor) will be rendered to the U.S. trade mission. The CDC president said the American executives will meet with locators and businessmen in the Metro Clark area. David said the mission will introduce U.S. companies to business opportunities in the Philippines, particularly in the Clark Special Economic Zone (CSEZ). David also said the trade delegation will be given a briefing tomorrow on the development of the former American military base six years after the Philippine Senate voted not to renew the Military Bases Agreement with the U.S. Last month, Boeing Co. through its wholly-owned subsidiary McDonnell Douglas Corp. signed a memorandum of understanding with CIACor. CDC sources said McDonnell Douglas is currently undertaking an industrial participation program for the F/ A-18 Hornet, described as a multi-mission tactical aircraft currently being used by the U.S. Navy and the U.S. Marine Corps. The source said the Philippines is one of the countries currently evaluating the F/A-18 to replace its aging fleet of F5 Freedom Fighters. The F/A-18 has proven to be the most versatile combat aircraft in service with its superiority in day and night strike missions, reconnaissance, forward air control and close air support, the source added. However, two militant groups here questioned the plan of Boeing to put up a military aircraft support center here. The People's Task Force for Bases Clean-Up said the Boeing project in Clark confirmed their suspicions that the former home of the U.S. 13th Air Force is still being eyed as a possible U.S. military access point like Sumbang Point along Sarangani Bay in Mindanao. On the other hand, Nuclear Free Philippines Coalition has challenged the government to give more information to the public on the CIACor-Boeing project. Sun Star 27 Oct 1997 CL groups oppose plan to build Clark military aircraft support center ANGELES CITY—Two militant organizations have questioned the plan to build a military aircraft support center at the Clark Special Economic Zone, site of the former Clark Air Base. This, after the Clark International Airport Corp. (CIACor) and the aviation industry giant The Boeing Company through its wholly-owned subsidiary McDonnel Douglas Corp. signed a memorandum of understanding last week. But the news, coming at a time when talks of setting up a US naval base persist in Mindanao and with Rep. Wigberto Tanada (Quezon, LP) indicating that the Status of Forces Agreement (Sofa) and the Access Gross-Servicing Agreement (Acsa) are already a "done deal," has stirred the hornet's nest in a city where the country's anti-bases movement has taken roots. The project CDC's press release said McDonnel Douglas are currently undertaking an industrial participation program for the F/A-18 Hornet, a multi-mission tactical aircraft being used by the US Navy and the US Marine Corps. It added that F/A-18 Hornet has proven to be the most versatile combat aircraft in service with its superiority in day and night strike missions, reconnaissance, forward air control and close air support. The trade mission of Boeing, CDC said, will enable supplier companies for F/A-I8s to explore investment opportunities in the country. In its webpage, Boeing said that the F/A-18 is currently being evaluated by Austria, Chile and the Philippines. The Armed Forces of the Philippines, currently on a Modernization program despite threats of budget cuts, will replace its aging fleet of F-5 Freedom Fighters with F/A-18 Hornets. The People's Task Force) for Bases Clean-Up, which has since pressed the government to lodge complaints against the toxic contamination of Clark and Subic by the United States, condemned the signing of the memo. Myria Baldonado, task force chair, said the Boeing project in Clark "confirmed their suspicions that the former home of the 13th US Air Force is still being eyed as a possible US military access point like Sunabang Point along Sarangani Bay in Mindanao. Earlier, the US Embassy has denied reports that the United States was planning to setup new military bases in the country, particularly in the Socsargen area in Mindanao. Baldonado said the Boeing project gave "more weight" to Tanada's conclusion that the US military access agreement is already a done deal. She added that the US military's "desperate attempt" to come back is happening at a time when there is strong pressure from Japan to close down US bases especially in Okinawa due to strong opposition generated by a rape case. The Nuclear-Free Philippines Coalition (NFPC) got hold of a document entitled the US Fleet Intelligence Center Brief which showed that 22 commercial ports have been seriously considered for US military access in the Philippines including Sarangani and Subic Bay. "It is interesting to note that though Clark is not listed down in the brief, the US government has insisted that by virtue of the Mutual Defense Treaty, they can use even the Ninoy Aquino International Airport and other Philippine airports in time of emergency," she explained. The memo, she stressed, violated the bases conversion law which should intend the former baselands for productive and civilian ventures. The project, she said. also fits US "design" of negotiating for military access in the "guise of bringing new investments." The NFPC has challenged the government to inform the public on the Ciacor-Boeing project. Saying the people deserved the right to be informed, NFPC chair Prof. Roland Simbulan raised several questions on the project. "Since maintenance and repair of military aircraft is involved, does this mean that an RP-US Acsa has already been forged? If the answer is 'no', then does it mean that the Acsa is inevitable?," asked Simbulan. He said that "if the answer is 'yes' then it must be in the form of an executive agreement but why is it being kept secret? Why is it not being made public?" "Is the McDonnel Douglas Aircraft Maintenance Center for servicing F/A-18 Hornet aircraft intended for the Philippine Air Force? Or is it for military aircraft of foreign countries?" Finally, Simbulan asked if the Senate is privy to the Ciacor-McDonnel Douglas memorandum of agreement. Lawyer Arlene Buan from this city said that "something very suspicious is being cooked up in Clark." He said the site could become "a magnet" for attacks from unfriendly forces where aircraft is manufactured, repaired, refueled or stationed. "I don't see any problem if the project were commercial in nature, but would give it a big no if the project services foreign military aircraft. Commecial undertaking But the Clark Development Corp., which oversees the economic zone, allayed fears expressed by the groups. Romeo David, president of CDC, could not be reached for comment. A member of his staff said he was sick. CDC external affairs officer Lycette Ramos is in Singapore on a business trip. Noel Tulabut of the CDC media affairs office said the project was "still very fluid" and that it would most likely be commercial in nature, serving the needs of Clark as an international airport. Gen. Tereso Isleta, Ciacor vice president for operations, said he was not aware of the memo signing. "There are interests, pero walang pang pirmahan," he said during a telephone interview. But a military aircraft support center, he said, would be supporting the requirement of the PAF in its modernization bid. He said too that the project will be well within the development track of the CSEZ. "Ciacor is into aviation-related projects. The airport can then compete with Singapore if we have aviation projects as manufacturing, repair. It will even create business and employment for the people," Isleta said. Asked if the efforts of the US in Sarangani Bay were in anyway related with the Boeing project, he said "that's too far out, that's in the south and we're in the north." |
![]() |
|
| jammerjamesky | May 4 2006, 08:07 PM Post #2 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Yah old but still true to its form. In a sense that PAF recieved the Technical Data Transfer of F-18 in 2004 thru FMS of the US Government. Although it was a long talked abouts of the fly boys that F-18 and JAS -39 will be the future MRF. Still optimistic that we might get the two planes in the future. |
![]() |
|
| shipwreck | May 8 2006, 11:01 AM Post #3 |
|
Trainee
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Hey guys some more old info's. And any info about what kind of missiles do the afp acquired? thanks Annual report on Swedish arms trade from SPAS to ENAAT 1998/99 The sale of fighter aircraft's (JAS 39 Gripen) There have been tremendous efforts from the Government and the industry to find a buyer of the JAS Gripen system. Until 1999 the plane hasn't been exported and over the last years marketing towards Chile, Philippines and South Africa has been strong. The main actor in opposing the efforts to sell these planes has been the Swedish Fellowship of Reconciliation (the Swedish branch of IFOR). In 1998 they arranged a seminar in which SPAS took part. The seminar had prominent speakers as Oscar Arias as guests. Over the year SFOR and SPAS has tried to raise opposition to these deals. SPAS was also able to reveal that the Swedish ambassador to the Philippines more or less urged the Philippine Government to reconsider their decision to postpone their plans to buy fighter aircraft's. Interesting is also that this occurred soon after the Philippines used their airforce in the internal hostilities. and.. Other controversial recipients SPAS also revealed Swedish exports of missiles to the Philippines, grenades to Nepal, APCs to Saudi Arabia and fire-guidance system to the United Arab Emirates. During the Kosovo-war we also criticised arms trade to Nato. A positive result was the denial to grant a permit for machine guns to Venezuela in 1998. here the link for the full article http://www.svenska-freds.se/english/enaat199911.shtml |
![]() |
|
| jammerjamesky | May 9 2006, 06:25 PM Post #4 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Anong missiles yun ? |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · Philippine Air Force · Next Topic » |





![]](http://z1.ifrm.com/static/1/pip_r.png)




8:52 AM Jul 11