AimGlobalProducts
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
BRP Ang Pangulo; The Presidential Yacht
Topic Started: Jan 17 2006, 11:14 AM (7,289 Views)
israeli
Member Avatar

http://news.inq7.net/regions/index.php?ind...&story_id=63192

‘Ang Pangulo’ burns; 4 injured
First posted 03:05am (Mla time) Jan 17, 2006
Inquirer

CAMP VICENTE LIM, LAGUNA—A 10-minute fire damaged the presidential yacht BRP Ang Pangulo while it was undergoing repair at a pier in Bauan, Batangas on Saturday, the Inquirer learned yesterday.

A report reaching this camp said the fire started at around 6:30 a.m. It was put out about 10 minutes later by responding firemen.

The vessel was undergoing repair at the Keppel Dry Dock in Barangay San Miguel when the fire broke out, the report said.

It said investigators have yet to determine the cause of the fire.

But a source told the Inquirer that a short circuit in the main engine of the vessel started the fire.

The source added that the Presidential Security Group barred arson investigators from entering the yacht.

For still unknown reasons, the PSG personnel deployed in the area instructed even the local police not to divulge the incident to the media, the source said.

“The PSG said the directive came from Malacañang,” the source told the Inquirer.

Four Navy personnel were slightly injured as they helped put out the fire. The Navy said the yacht suffered “minor damages.”

In a statement, the Philippine Navy said Vice Admiral Mateo Mayuga, Navy chief, has ordered an investigation.

The fire damaged the boat’s airconditioning unit, water pipes, electrical wiring, dust catcher room, skylight openings and sight glass for reserve tanks and pressure gauges.

The VIP and other rooms were spared from the fire.

The Navy said the boat could have been destroyed had not its watches acted immediately.

The watches, who were on routine inspection, noticed smoke near the access door to the main and auxiliary engine rooms, according to the initial report submitted by the Ang Pangulo commanding officer, Commander Gaudencio Collado Jr.

The watches failed to control the fire with extinguishers. They were joined by the crew and shipyard personnel in putting out the fire.

Firefighters from the Bauan Bureau of Fire Protection and the crew of other boats in the shipyard also helped put out the fire.

The Ang Pangulo (or AT 25) has been undergoing repairs at the Keppel Batangas Shipyard in Bauan, Batangas since November.

The repairs are expected to be finished in February.

The Philippine government bought the yacht for $3 million in 1959. It can accommodate up to 400 people.

The yacht became controversial when, in August 1998, then President Joseph Estrada announced that private donors pooled P100 million to give it a facelift.

In January 2001, President Macapagal-Arroyo said she would sell all presidential luxury assets, including the Ang Pangulo, to generate revenue, but the boat remained in government hands.

The government tried to sell it for $5.5 million, but there were no takers.
"I'm very determined. If I decide what something is worth doing, then I'll put my heart and soul to it. The whole ground can be against me, but if I know it is right, I'll do it. That's the business of a leader." - Lee Kuan Yew
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

saver111
Member Avatar
PDFF Moderator
PDFF Mod Group
They should better auction it with that amount as reserved. It could fetched a higher price.
Posted Image

Justice for Daniel Lorenz Jacinto

HELP END PIRACY NOW!:
http://www.itfseafarers.org/petition.cfm

Tantalus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
sound suggestion saver, but if still no one bites, sell the damn thing as scrap...at least we can save the maintenance and repair allocation for that useless ship

saver111
Member Avatar
PDFF Moderator
PDFF Mod Group
Anybody got this vessel's specs and features? Maybe we can help post it for auction and help the PN dispose of it in a way not disadvantageous for our gov't. Photos of it and its interior would be nice. I understand this was renovated during Erap's time. Sir Manokski?
Posted Image

HELP END PIRACY NOW!:

saver111
Member Avatar
PDFF Moderator
PDFF Mod Group
What's the status of this vessel? Extent of damages and how much it would cost the gov't to make it operational?
Posted Image

HELP END PIRACY NOW!:

israeli
Member Avatar

Ate Glu now has "other plans" for the BRP Ang Pangulo...

GMA envisions BRP Ang Pangulo as another Mercy
By Roel Pareño
The Philippine Star 06/12/2006

ZAMBOANGA CITY - Impressed by the medical facilities of the USNS Mercy and noting the widespread need of medical assistance by poor Filipinos, President Arroyo is considering turning the presidential ship Ang Pangulo into a floating hospital similar to the Mercy, an official said.

Mrs. Arroyo started to entertain the idea following her visit to the USNS Mercy in Jolo island and saw the value of having that kind facility, according to National Security Adviser Secretary Norberto Gonzales.

Gonzales, who accompanied the President, told newsmen at the Lantaka Hotel here how Mrs. Arroyo noticed there was an urgent need for medical attention specially in the far-flung areas accessible only by ship, like Basilan, Sulu, Tawi-Tawi and other islands in the country

"I think she’s considering that maybe Ang Pangulo can be used as something similar, not necessarily in the same category (of the USNS Mercy)," Gonzales said.

While the US named the former oil tanker Mercy, local media here suggested the Ang Pangulo can be named as RPNS (Naval Ship) Gloria, which sounds like mercy.

But Gonzales refused to second-guess saying that the people can suggest the name of the Philippine version of the US Mercy.

However, Gonzales said that personally he will not be surprised if suddenly the Ang Pangulo becomes a hospital ship.

Allaying budgetary concerns, Gonzales assured that the government is capable of running one floating emergency hospital.

"If ever, I think what you will do is something that you are capable of sustaining it in small scale," Gonzales said.

Gonzales also said more non-government organizations can be tapped to help sustain the program even as he cited Filipinos as known for coming and responding to calls for assistance and help.

"I believe if Ang Pangulo becomes a medical ship we will not run out of medical volunteers," he said.

A mobile and floating clinic had been tried before in a small scale in the late 1980s but this was not sustained. Gonzales said he was not sure what went wrong.
"I'm very determined. If I decide what something is worth doing, then I'll put my heart and soul to it. The whole ground can be against me, but if I know it is right, I'll do it. That's the business of a leader." - Lee Kuan Yew

saver111
Member Avatar
PDFF Moderator
PDFF Mod Group
The reason why I ask since this will involve renovations, right?

Since Erap's time it was refurbished may times for "other purposes" which before it getting burned could have been sold at a higher price. With the money from the sale we could buy dedicated ships like the Tenix SAR Class or more second hand vessels.

Same goes with the Presidential Fokker, still no takers? We could get C-130s and C-47s for its sale.
Posted Image

HELP END PIRACY NOW!:

maniegom
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
GMA's move to have it become an improvised hospital ship is creditable on her intentions and I salute her for that.

However, this ship's present size and capabilities should also be taken into consideration (and as a yacht) especially since it's been laid down since the 50's and a donation to us from Japan. In so many words, it is not capable for such a task despite the good intentions. Tantalus is right on the money to scrap this floating hazard and reserve the funds from it for whatever it can be channeled through (it doesn't matter where).

We got too many floating junks and they are really not essential to our national defense or intentions. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you just don't hoist your ensign and think to believe that this is your naval asset unless it can at least do the task it is assigned for.

Our Peackock classes are in all actuallity patrol vessels and not corvettes. Don't get too spun up the axle thinking they are something more. They are not designated for such a class and are incapable to do such a function. They can only patrol and that's it.

The bottom line will be funding again for a better fleet, but please be aware that it is more of a sacrifice to our willing Sailors who are willing to bring these junks out to sea and not the vessels themselves.

These serving and brave few Sailors deserve the best who are protecting our freedoms. Patriotism is foolish unless you provide these brave souls the more than deserved proper equipment to accomplish that mission. Unless you yourselves are willing to make that ultimate sacrifice.

Hell, at least a suicide bomber has a better chance of inflicting damage to their enemy. Our floating junks are more of a hazard to itself to its Sailors onboard, than the enemy forces sinking it!

mazingu
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
saver111
Jun 13 2006, 11:40 AM
What's the status of this vessel? Extent of damages and how much it would cost the gov't to make it operational?

The ship apparently has been repaired and rehabiltated, the Prez has ordered the Ang Pangulo to deliver relief goods for Typhoon Frank victims:

GMA orders use of BRP Ang Pangulo in delivery of relief goods

By Marvin Sy
Wednesday, July 2, 2008

With so much relief goods coming in from local and international donors for the victims of typhoon Frank, President Arroyo has ordered the use of the presidential yacht BRP Ang Pangulo as a mobile logistics hub for the distribution of these goods.

During the National Disaster Coordinating Council meeting at the Iloilo airport, the President said the presidential helicopters have also been involved in the rescue operations since day one and now that the transport of the relief goods has become an issue, the presidential yacht would be utilized for this purpose.

“Because there is now a lot of relief goods coming from all over, it’s transport that is now the problem. From day one the presidential helicopters were involved in the rescue, now the presidential yacht is also going to be used as a moving logistics hub,” she said.

Earlier, Defense Secretary and NDCC chairman Gilbert Teodoro said the government is experiencing some problems with the transport of relief goods to the affected areas because of limited air resources.

All of the Armed Forces of the Philippines C-130 planes are already being utilized to transport the goods, and even the United States Navy has provided helicopters to assist in the relief efforts.

Teodoro noted that roll-on, roll-off ferries have also been utilized to transport the goods by sea.

Some commercial shipping companies have also offered to help transport the goods on their vessels.

http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Headline...aid=20080701143

pachador

the old name of BRP Ang Pangulo was RPS Lapu-Lapu, the Flagship of the Philippine navy. see old Time magazine article below:

Welcome Aboard

The sleek, 2,200-ton yacht Lapu Lapu knifed across Tokyo Bay on a trial run at 17 knots, and in her wake eddied a succession of troubles for Carlos Garcia, President of the Philippine Republic. One of 15 ocean-going vessels to be built by the Japanese as war reparations to the Philippines, the Lapu Lapu* cost $2,500,000, is 275 feet long and powered by diesel engines. She will carry a crew of 92, and has room for 48 passengers.

In Manila the magazine Philippines Free Press questioned Garcia's need of a presidential yacht at a time when he is urging austerity on his fellow countrymen. Diosdado Macapagal, Garcia's Vice President and political enemy, promised that if he won the next presidential election he would sell the yacht, because she "is a symbol of extravagance at the height of the people's economic suffering."

In Tokyo the clamor had its effect. Newsmen were at first curtly refused permission to go aboard the yacht while Filipino officers and men were being trained to handle her. Then newsmen were suddenly invited to explore the Lapu Lapu "from end to end." Explained a Filipino official to reporters: "The Lapu Lapu is not a presidential yacht. It is a navy ship." An aide tried to warn him: "If you do not give the press the entire truth, they will ferret it out." "But," replied the first official, "if I give the wrong facts who will be blamed?" At that point a reporter interrupted them: "If this is a navy ship, why are the chairs marked 'President's chairs?' " Said the second official to the first: "There, you see? I told you!"

President Garcia himself seemed to be almost as wavering as his Tokyo officials. He first declared that the presidential yacht was necessary for "safety, prestige and speed'' in his island-hopping tours, and added that, anyway, the Lapu Lapu was not costing the nation scarce dollars, and could be used by his presidential successors as well as himself. As criticism mounted, Garcia designated the Lapu Lapu as "flagship" of the Philippine navy (making her. apparently, the only unarmed fleet flagship in the world). He promised that she would be available for "mercy missions" in case of typhoons, tidal waves and such.

Time Magazine Feb 23, 1959
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...,825583,00.html

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Philippine Navy · Next Topic »
Add Reply