| Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| Police vests may not be bulletproof; Second Chance Body Armor | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Jun 23 2005, 04:48 PM (1,607 Views) | |
| saver111 | Jun 23 2005, 04:48 PM Post #1 |
|
PDFF Moderator
![]()
|
To all PNP and other law enforcement agencies, please check your issued vest, baka isa sa mga ito ang gamit nyo. Police vests may not be bulletproof, firm says Agencies urged to replace body armor containing Zylon The Associated Press Updated: 11:47 a.m. ET June 22, 2005 TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. - The nation’s largest supplier of bullet-resistant vests to law enforcement agencies is urging its customers to replace vests containing the fiber Zylon, saying they may not be safe. Second Chance Body Armor said Wednesday it had sent notices to police agencies nationwide. The warning affects about 58,000 Tri-Flex vests and an additional 40,000 Ultima and Ultimax vests with Performance Pacs, the company said in a statement. New research shows that vests made even partially with Zylon “may fail to perform and result in serious injury or death,” it said. Second Chance, based in Central Lake, Mich., is undergoing reorganization in federal bankruptcy court after being targeted in numerous lawsuits claiming its vests made with Zylon are defective. The company said it would ask the court to devise a procedure for vest owners to make claims arising from the latest warnings. “While Second Chance has not received any reports of field failures of the products in question, we felt it was our obligation to report these new research findings immediately,” said Matt Davis, the company’s vice president of sales and marketing. “The safety and well-being of all the officers who wear our body armor is of primary importance to Second Chance, and we strongly encourage all officers to replace ballistic vests that contain Zylon as quickly as possible,” he said. Second Chance began making vests with Zylon in 1998, saying it was lighter and more comfortable than other fibers used in body armor. The company announced in 2003 it had concerns about the durability of Zylon vests and recalled more than 130,000 of them made entirely with Zylon. Since then, lawsuits have been filed in at least nine states, and federal and state investigations have been started. The latest notice pertains to vests containing a mixture of Zylon and other materials. |
|
Justice for Daniel Lorenz Jacinto HELP END PIRACY NOW!: http://www.itfseafarers.org/petition.cfm | |
![]() |
|
| fieldmouse | Jun 23 2005, 05:27 PM Post #2 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
they should rename the vest No Chance Body Armor.
|
|
the mouse assault | |
![]() |
|
| saver111 | Dec 26 2008, 04:04 PM Post #3 |
|
PDFF Moderator
![]()
|
DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE ANNOUNCES FINDINGS ON DRAGON SKIN BODY ARMOR WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Department of Justice (DOJ), Office of Justice Programs (OJP) announced today that it has determined that the Pinnacle Armor, Inc. bulletproof vest model SOV 2000.1/MIL3AF01, is not in compliance with the requirements of OJP's National Institute of Justice (NIJ) voluntary compliance testing program for bullet-resistant body armor. Effective immediately, this body armor model will be removed from the NIJ list of bullet-resistant body armor models that satisfy its requirements. Pinnacle Armor, Inc. is the maker of "dragon skin" body armor. NIJ, OJP's research, development, and evaluation component, has reviewed evidence provided by the body armor manufacturer and has determined that the evidence is insufficient to demonstrate that the body armor model will maintain its ballistic performance over its six-year declared warranty period. http://www.defensetech.org/archives/2007_08.html |
|
Justice for Daniel Lorenz Jacinto HELP END PIRACY NOW!: http://www.itfseafarers.org/petition.cfm | |
![]() |
|
| mazingu | Sep 9 2010, 07:33 AM Post #4 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadl...proof-vests-etc By Ramon Tulfo Philippine Daily Inquirer First Posted 23:24:00 09/08/2010 THE PRESIDENT has ordered Philippine National Police chief Jess Verzosa to file administrative charges against a high-ranking PNP official for the purchase of substandard bullet-proof vests and other equipment used by the Special Action Force (SAF). SAF is the PNP’s commando unit that was not utilized during the Luneta hostage crisis. P-Noy issued the order after a surprise visit to the headquarters of the elite force. Verzosa is not the right guy to file the administrative case against the concerned PNP official since he himself approved the purchase of the substandard equipment. By the way, the concerned PNP official has already retired. * * * A Camp Crame insider says the former high PNP official P-Noy wants charged committed other irregularities. The retired police general was also responsible for the purchase of defective shotguns, substandard M-16 ammunition and used M-16 rifles that were made to appear as factory-fresh. He also made purchases of defective night vision goggles, substandard rubber boats and gas masks. The retiree made the PNP buy the equipment from a firm he allegedly partly owns, according to my source. * * * When the defective or substandard equipment were given to SAF, Chief Supt. Leocadio Santiago, then the SAF commander, did not accept them. Santiago reportedly called up the PNP general and told him, “Okay lang na gumawa kayo ng pera, pero huwag naman ninyo patayin ang mga sundalo ko (It’s okay if you make money, but not at the expense of the lives of my men). Some of the substandard equipment were returned to Camp Crame and then diverted to ordinary police units, says my source. * * * How were the rifles made to appear new? My source says old barrels from M-16 rifles were sent to a gun repair shop which sawed off the barrels, then polished these to make it appear they were short barrels of “baby” M-16 Armalites. The refitted M-16 rifles, along with the defective shotguns and bullets, are now being used by ordinary PNP units. |
![]() |
|
| saver111 | Sep 9 2010, 12:00 PM Post #5 |
|
PDFF Moderator
![]()
|
So, a real dedicated Commander could reject any equipments he deemed will put his men in harm's way which should have been the case. Any substandard equipments returned will be a cause for investigation why such equipments were returned. BTW, bullet proof vests have expiration dates that's why a lot of surplus units are being sold in the market. There are also maintenance procedures in keeping it in good conditions of which I doubt our local PNP units are aware of. |
|
Justice for Daniel Lorenz Jacinto HELP END PIRACY NOW!: http://www.itfseafarers.org/petition.cfm | |
![]() |
|
| Cpl.goose | May 20 2014, 01:53 PM Post #6 |
|
Recruit
![]() ![]() ![]()
|
If a PNP officer had a personal plate carrier, could he utilize it in a go bag in the event an officer met hard contact against a perp? Got a few in-laws from my wife and they are PNP officers. Would like to help send my wife's family some sturdier gear. |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · Philippine National Police · Next Topic » |









![]](http://z1.ifrm.com/static/1/pip_r.png)
8:48 AM Jul 11