| Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| The Kalayaan, Panatag & other disputed islands; Future conflict zones? | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Feb 2 2005, 08:00 PM (156,094 Views) | |
| Marschall | Mar 3 2011, 12:45 AM Post #301 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
The JMSU deal is dead then? |
|
"THE BEST PARENT AND GUARDIAN OF LIBERTY AMONGST MEN IS TRUTH" ~ Pope Leo XIII, Immortale Dei “When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven’t got any.” - G. K. Chesterton MSantor is not a man of sound reason. Savages have always preferred the club for they know that they are powerless against the pen. But who is the greater fool - the savage or the one that gives him power? May Truth rebuke you. | |
![]() |
|
| Fmr TOPP Awardee 82'PNP | Mar 3 2011, 06:00 AM Post #302 |
|
PDFF Moderator
![]()
|
Absolutely, dead as a cold turkey. That is a waste of time anyway. |
![]() "GUILTY CONSCIENCE NEEDS NO ACCUSER" | |
![]() |
|
| Samir_Duran | Mar 3 2011, 06:56 AM Post #303 |
|
THE GHOST
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Same thing that happened with the SEATO. |
![]() |
|
| Frenzy | Mar 7 2011, 03:34 PM Post #304 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Coast Guard ships start patrolling Reed Bank in Palawan At least three Philippine ships have arrived in an area in Western Palawan to prevent a repeat of an encounter between a Philippine exploration vessel and three Chinese Navy patrol boats last week. The three ships have started enforcing the Philippines' sovereignty over the area as of Monday, according to a report by radio dzBB's Carlo Mateo. Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) commandant Admiral Wilfredo Tamayo said he is confident the presence of the vessels will prevent a repeat of last week's incident. On Saturday, the PCG said the ships were sent included: two search-and-rescue vessels with Special Operations Group divers and a medical team; and a monitoring-control-surveillance (MCS) vessel. The PCG said the vessels "have been specifically tasked to conduct maritime patrols and assist said DOE-contracted survey vessels, to include those currently undertaking marine seismic survey within the area of Reed Bank, west of Palawan which earlier reported being harassed by Chinese vessels." The PCG pointed out the Reed Bank is only some 80 nautical miles west of Palawan mainland. http://www.gmanews.tv/story/214639/coast-g...bank-in-palawan |
![]() |
|
| Vermonter | Mar 7 2011, 09:11 PM Post #305 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Coast Guard vessel to back up PH ship harassed by Chinese in Spratlys By Jerome Aning Philippine Daily Inquirer First Posted 19:21:00 03/07/2011 MANILA, Philippines—A vessel of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) was dispatched to rendezvous Monday night with a survey ship that was reportedly harassed by two Chinese patrol boats at Reed Bank in the disputed Spratly Islands. Admiral Wilfredo Tamayo, the PCG commandant, said in a text message that the search-and-rescue (SAR) vessel Nueva Vizcaya, dispatched three days ago, would meet MV Venture at Reed Bank. “It (Nueva Vizcaya) has not yet established contact [with the Venture],” Tamayo said. Another SAR vessel, the San Juan, was also dispatched from Puerto Princesa City, Palawan, Monday afternoon to join the Nueva Vizcaya in escorting the Venture. One Islander plane and one monitoring-control-surveillance (MCS) vessel from the PCG have also been placed on standby in Puerto Princesa, he said. The PCG chief described the situation in Reed Bank as “quiet,” adding, “We have also coordinated with the survey ship's mother company and so far there have been no adverse reports.” Tamayo said two other PCG vessels, which he did not identify, were also conducting maritime patrols and assisting government-contracted vessels in the area, involved in marine research and oil-exploration activities. “The PCG Air Group is likewise alerted for the conduct of air patrols. So far, [there are] no reports of any unusual incidents or sightings from the marine survey vessels,” he said. The Philippines asked the Chinese government to explain why the Chinese patrol boats harassed the Venture as it was conducting a survey of Reed Bank near Palawan's Malampaya oil field. The Venture was an oil-exploration ship contracted by the Department of Energy. Reed Bank is part of a larger but underwater landmass known as the Reed Table Bank. A London-based firm, Forum Energy PLC, has been conducting seismic surveys in the area since 2005. According to its website (http://www.forumenergyplc.com/operations/oilandgas/reed-bank.aspx), the firm's exploration license was converted into a service contract on Feb. 2, 2010. The company claimed that in 2006, results from its 3D seismic program, as verified by independent consultants, indicated expected reserves of 3.4 trillion cubic feet (TCF) gas from sands tested in the three wells that were drilled. The whole area, covering 290 square miles, could have 10 to 20 TCF in gas reserves, according to the website. http://globalnation.inquirer.net/news/brea...ese-in-Spratlys |
![]() |
|
| Vermonter | Mar 8 2011, 11:19 AM Post #306 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Nice to know we are seen at par allies with the Nigerians, concerning the Hamilton cutters. |
![]() |
|
| spraret | Mar 8 2011, 06:45 PM Post #307 |
|
PDFF Admin Support
![]()
|
Spratlys tensions to be raised at Asean-East Asia meeting—Indonesia
http://globalnation.inquirer.net/news/brea...eetingIndonesia |
![]() |
|
| spearhead | Mar 8 2011, 08:55 PM Post #308 |
|
DoctorNO, Your Neutral Observer.
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
A GOOD READ EVERYBODY! SOURCE II.CONCEPT The acquisition of the missile capability can be undertaken through various approaches; however, as a matter of indisputable fact and like any other acquisition or procurement activity, the program will be constrained with cost and funding issues. Likewise, missile capability for external defense will be influenced by deployment and employment doctrines and rules of engagement, respectively, which will take into consideration identification of strategic locations and platforms for these systems in order to optimize the use of the system. Nonetheless, herewith are the various approaches to missile capability acquisition, under a government to government procurement program with corresponding and realistic financing payment scheme package as instrument for realization and completion: Option 1: Acquisition of missile capability shall be done by Major Services and within a period 5 years for each Service, taking into account production and integration cycles for the weapon system. The program should be start with the Philippine Navy for its designated Capital Ships that will need missile mounting re-configuration. The Navy needs to be prioritize for this program considering that it already has the platforms that will carry such weapon system. The range of weapons effectiveness can be extended by the ships conducting territorial defense patrols. The PAF could not yet accommodate such system on their fixed winged aircrafts currently in their inventory; however, PAF can consider accommodating air-to-surface or air-to-air missiles for their rotary assets, particularly the Combat Utility Helicopters (CUH) and Night Capable Attack Helicopter (NCAH) which they are currently acquiring and provided further that these assets have provisions for the mounting of missiles. The PA ground mobile missile launchers could be accommodate last in the phasing in of such weapon system as the quantity required and utility of such ground assets would be limited due to geographic considerations. The PA may consider acquiring Surface to Air and limited range Surface to Surface missiles. Options 2: Acquisition of missile capability shall be done simultaneously by the Major Services; however, the program can be stretch for a longer period of time and until requirements are fully met. Similar to option 1, this option can accommodate skills training of personnel during the life of the phasing in of the weapon system in each Major Service. Option 3: Acquisition of missile capability may be undertaken using a combination of both options 1 and 2; however, it must be provided that one unit of each class of missile system be used not only for training but also as a dedicated prototype for reverse-engineering and / or research and development with the end objective of tapping the Self-Reliant Defense Program (SRDP) for the eventual setting up of a local production line for either a similar and / or improved model of the prototype system. Option 4: Acquisition of missile capability be limited to only the PN and PAF with the PA specializing competence on Field Artillery. Again, PN and PAF may use options 1 and 2 or a combination of both options in the realization of the program. III. IMPLEMENTATION If the acquisition of the missile capability will be pursued, then, the following stages will have to be seriously undertaken: a. Identifying and defining missile needs requirement b. Defense and AFP Hard Core Stand on the acquisition of missile capability c. Stakeholder advocacy and management d. Government to Government Procurement with Financing Package e. Doctrine Development and Training Cycles in tandem with Production f. Installation and System Integration Module with Training g. Operation and Maintenance with Training h. System Handling and Storage of ILS or replacement provisions i. Open Systems / Research and Development with Training j. Reproduction and Upgrading of System k. Secured Decommissioning or Disposal of Systems IV. CONCLUSION The acquisition of missile systems for external defense posture is a program whose time has come. The realization of the program, even if implemented in phases due to cost and funding factors, addresses the capability gaps for over-the-horizon weapon and damage-to-enemy-forces delivery. The program also assures the beneficiary organization – the AFP – of an entry in technological advancement in weapon system which shall boost confidence in undertaking core mission and promote initiatives for improvements in operational performance. It seeks to lessen the weapon systems gap awareness and capability with neighboring armed forces. The acquisition of missile capability using the government to government procurement approach with financing payment scheme addresses not only upfront funding limitations but the same will also guarantee quality products as well as an assurance that friendly and allied nations also carry such weapon system in their inventory thereby allowing joint operations capacity when such type of operations are required in the future. Likewise, since such weapon system is in an allied country’s inventory, the capacity for this country for maintenance and training can be easily requested or tapped as a resource for maintenance and training. V. RECOMMENDATION Based on the foregoing, the Philippine Navy recommends consideration and approval of the proposed concept for the acquisition of missile capability in order to address the external defense requirement of the country. However, sustainment programs – logistics management – for the missile capability should be inputted in the decision making criteria. Relative to the recommendation of establishing a Missile Capability Acquisition Program is a parallel recommendation for the consideration of a Torpedo and Mine Capability Acquisition Program. Torpedo could either be launched in various platforms – through ships and watercrafts or from aircraft, to include coastal launched capability, as the latter could be an armed component of the established Coast Watch System. Military to install radars on nine Spratly islands by Florante S. Solmerin Manila Standard March 8, 2011 THE military said Monday it will install radar equipment on nine islands in the disputed Spratlys to monitor intrusions even as the Coast Guard said it deployed three patrol vessels to secure a government oil survey ship reportedly harassed by two Chinese boats in the South China Sea. “With the available resources that we have right now, all we can do is to react,” Western Command chief Lt. Gen. Juancho Sabban said in an interview in Camp Aguinaldo. “But we will be installing radars in all our claimed islands for fast monitoring.” On March 2, two Chinese Navy patrol vessels harassed an Energy Department survey ship, the m/v Veritas Voyager, in the Reed Bank, but left after the Navy and Air Force sent aircraft to the area. Seismic testing for gas by an Anglo-Filipino consortium had been halted after an incident in which Manila says two Chinese boats threatened to ram a survey ship, the government said. Energy Secretary Jose Rene Almendras said the seismic tests would resume after the Philippines and China held talks to resolve the dispute. Manila would send maritime affairs experts to Beijing later this week for negotiations. “They had to pack up and reconstitute everything,” Almendras told reporters, saying it would take a few days to restart the tests. “We have to wait, but we hope to resume.” The Philippines has already filed a diplomatic protest with the Chinese government over the incident, but Beijing has yet to respond to it. Foreign Secretary Alberto del Rosario said the Energy Department’s research vessel was well within the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone. Over the weekend, Coast Guard chief Admiral Wilfredo Tamayo said two vessels with divers and medical teams on board and a surveillance vessel were sent to patrol the waters off the southwestern province of Palawan and help the government-contracted ship doing a seismic survey of the area. Sabban suggested that the government could renovate an airstrip on Pagasa Island and turn it into an airbase so it could respond faster to such incidents. “We have an airstrip on Pagasa Island already, and all we have to do is to make an airbase to augment our maritime patrols, especially in the vicinity of our claimed islands,” Sabban said. “We’re the first one to build an airstrip, but we’ve already been surpassed by the kind of airstrips that Vietnam, Taiwan and Malaysia have put up in the Spratlys.” US Ambassador to the Philippines Harry Thomas Jr. urged the Spartlys claimants, especially China, to act with restraint. “We urge restraint on all sides,” he said. “We urge that the South China Sea issue be resolved in the negotiating table. We believe that the Asean states and China should sit down according to the 2002 Code of Conduct.” With Bloomberg and PNA. |
"Men of War must learn the art of numbers or he will not know how to array his troops." - Plato![]() ![]() | |
![]() |
|
| pachador | Mar 19 2011, 02:27 AM Post #309 |
![]()
|
AFP lagging in developing fortifications in Spratlys By Jaime Laude (The Philippine Star) Updated March 19, 2011 12:00 AM Comments (10) View comments MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine military is lagging behind China, Vietnam and Malaysia in developing fortifications in the disputed Spratly Islands in the South China Sea. In a report, the Armed Forces of the Philippines said claimant countries – except Taiwan and Brunei – have strengthened fortifications in the islets and shoals in the Spratlys. From one islet it began occupying in 1984, Malaysia now has troops on five islets. On the Malaysian-occupied Swallow Reef, there is now a 1,200-meter runway as well as a naval station in an island known as Layang-Layang, which had been a dive resort for tourists. The runway can reportedly accommodate heavy civilian and military transport planes. The airfield is only an hour’s flight from Kota Kinabalu and is considered vital to defending Malaysia’s claim. “Its air bases located at Kota Kinabalu and Labuan could serve as staging points to launch their sophisticated F-18 and Russian-MIG 29 Fulcrum. This is not to mention that Malaysian destroyers have mid- and long-range surface-to-surface missile,” the military report read. The report also cited Malaysian’s plan to procure new Sukhoi SU-35 aircraft from Russia. The reports also said surveillance photos taken during routine patrols over the Kalayaan Group showed Beijing’s steady military buildup in the area despite its being a signatory to the 2002 Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea. Latest surveillance photographs taken in 2010 showed different machine gun emplacement as well as additional communications antennae. Naval vessels have also been anchored in Chigua Reef. http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?artic...ubCategoryId=63 |
![]() |
|
| innonni | Mar 19 2011, 11:55 AM Post #310 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Malaysia's probably fortifying their islands so the Chinese cant plant flags everywhere. If China attacks, were gone. It would take billions of pesos to defend the islands against a chinese attack. Thats why the Philippines should start now in modernization, but not to a point that we'll buy anything available thats at least more "modern" than our current ships, like the recent Hamilton acquisition, which I think is a bad buy. There are other vessels, better and more modern than that 40 year old cutter that can be used as "training" or "transition" ships. |
|
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. -George S. Patton | |
![]() |
|
| 2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous) | |
| Go to Next Page | |
| « Previous Topic · West Philippine Sea · Next Topic » |




![]](http://z1.ifrm.com/static/1/pip_r.png)









8:32 AM Jul 11