| Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| The Kalayaan, Panatag & other disputed islands; Future conflict zones? | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Feb 2 2005, 08:00 PM (155,951 Views) | |
| Julian | Apr 26 2012, 01:38 PM Post #1731 |
|
Recruit
![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Guys!!! I'm just new to this Forum but have been reading the topics here. I don't know if somebody read about this Article from Robert Kaplan or maybe somebody post it already. How We Would Fight China Kindly check this site, I think this maybe helpful. Petition to the UN Hope this sites can contribute to this forum at least we will know the eyes of every nations are focus now on China's actions. |
![]() |
|
| AZKALS | Apr 26 2012, 02:00 PM Post #1732 |
![]()
|
Welcome to the PDFF forum and Thanks for sharing those links ...
|
|
| |
![]() |
|
| AVBsupersonic | Apr 26 2012, 04:09 PM Post #1733 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Nice find Julian! Welcome to PDFF!
|
| "Some are just lucky that they're not under oath and are not classified!"- Blue badge | |
![]() |
|
| THE_NEWS_MAN | Apr 26 2012, 11:19 PM Post #1734 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Aquino gov’t to seek third party mediation in Scarborough row MANILA, Philippines—The Aquino administration would seek a third-party mediator to the country’s ongoing conflict with China over the ownership of Panatag Shoal, the Palace said on Thursday as it rejected Beijing’s call for Manila not to take their conflict to other nations. “Let’s just say that we agree to disagree on that respect,” presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said in response to China’s call for the Philippines not to raise tension by bringing their dispute over Panatag shoal or Scarborough Shoal to other countries. Lacierda made it clear that the government would like to raise the dispute to the International Court on the Law of the Sea (ITLOS) and had as basis the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). China’s claim is based on its “nine-dash line theory.” Lacierda said it would be “more prudent” to “approach a third-party mediator” to break the deadlock between two parties. “And under UNCLOS, we have the ITLOS to take care of that. And so we’re just using the mechanisms provided for by international conventions,” he added. Lacierda said Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin and Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario were expected to take up the Panatag shoal standoff during their meeting with their American counterparts, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and State Secretary Hilary Clinton, dubbed as “2 plus 2” in Washington DC next week. “What we’re sure of is the Scarborough Shoal (incident) will be discussed but other than that, we don’t know yet what will be the outcome. So let’s wait for the outcome of the discussions of the 2 plus 2 talks,” Lacierda said. Filipino and Chinese vessels had been stationed in the shoal –located just off waters of Zambales — for over two weeks as the two nations claim ownership over the area. source |
![]() |
|
| THE_NEWS_MAN | Apr 26 2012, 11:21 PM Post #1735 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Philippines to seek US help in dealing with China over Spratlys issue — DFA MANILA, Philippines —The Philippines plans to “maximize the benefits” that can be derived from its Mutual Defense Treaty with the United States during the “2 + 2″ meeting between Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario and Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, and their US counterparts—Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Defense Secretary Leon Panetta—scheduled for April 30 in Washington. This was disclosed on Thursday by Del Rosario during a press briefing at the Department of Foreign Affairs headquarters in Pasay City. “This is a good time to do it,” he said. Aside from the US, Manila has been “trying to enlist the assistance of our international partners,” like Japan and Australia, among others, in building a minimum credible defense posture, he said. However, according to Del Rosario, the Philippines is not motivated by the Scarborough Shoal dispute in establishing such a position. “This minimum credible defense posture was discussed as early as last year, but the resolve to strengthen our military has been decided since Day 1 of the Aquino administration,” Del Rosario pointed out. Nevertheless, the standoff between the Philippines and China over the shoal, which Manila calls Bajo de Masinloc and Panatag, has been tabled for discussion during the 2 + 2 meeting in the US capital, he said. On Friday, the DFA head is scheduled to meet with President Benigno Aquino at Malacañang to “review the proposed agenda” of the Philippine side in that meeting. “It looks like we will have a very good meeting that’s ahead of us where we’d be able to discuss our strategic alliance,” Del Rosario told reporters. According to Del Rosario, “discussions on the Scarborough Shoal and West Philippine Sea issues will come up under the topic maritime security, where we certainly will be discussing freedom of navigation, unimpeded commerce and the safe transportation of people in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea).” Asked if they would ask the US government’s help in resolving the dispute, he said they “would want all nations, including the US, to make a judgment as to what’s happening there and what the implications are to their own countries.” Source |
![]() |
|
| THE_NEWS_MAN | Apr 26 2012, 11:25 PM Post #1736 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
PH seeks US military help amid China row MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines said Thursday it would seek more US military help during top-level talks next week, as it ignored a warning from China not to "internationalize" a tense territorial dispute. Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said the Philippines was looking to the United States to help it achieve a "credible" defense system, and wanted to extract maximum benefits from a mutual defense treaty between the allies. Signed in 1951, the treaty calls on both sides to come to each other's aid in times of external attacks, and the Philippines has highlighted the pact as it stands up to Beijing over rival claims to the South China Sea. "We are going to the United States in order to be able to maximise the benefits derived out of this mutual defence treaty," del Rosario told reporters. "The idea of achieving a minimum credible defence posture is something that we should try to do." Del Rosario and Defence Secretary Voltaire Gazmin are expected to meet with their US counterparts Hillary Clinton and Leon Panetta in Washington on April 30. The meeting comes as the Philippines is locked in an increasingly tense dispute with China over Scarborough Shoal, a group of islets in the South China Sea where vessels from both sides have been in a stand-off since April 8. China on Wednesday warned the Philippines not to "internationalise" the issue and force other countries to take sides. But del Rosario said Thursday the dispute also impacted other countries that wanted unhampered access to vital sea lanes. "I think all nations who have an interest in keeping freedom of navigation... should be watching carefully as to what is happening there," he said. "We would want all nations, including the United States, to make a judgment on what is happening there and what the implications are to their own country," he said. Del Rosario did not say what specific help the Philippines wanted in the US talks, but defence officials earlier said Manila would ask to acquire a coast guard vessel and F-16 fighter jets. China claims all of the South China Sea as a historic part of its territory, even waters close to the coasts of the Philippines and other Southeast Asian countries. Experts say the overlapping claims are a potential flashpoint that could destabilise regional security. The Philippines has accused China of increasingly being aggressive in staking its claims. Source now we will see if US is really a friend that would give us weapons and missile system HOPEFULLY |
![]() |
|
| THE_NEWS_MAN | Apr 27 2012, 03:18 AM Post #1737 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
China vows to defend rights in maritime row—Xinhua BEIJING—China’s military on Thursday vowed to defend the country’s territory amid a stand-off with the Philippines in the disputed South China Sea, the official Xinhua news agency said. China is locked in a maritime dispute with the Philippines over the Scarborough Shoal in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea), which is considered a potential Asian flashpoint due to the overlapping claims of several nations. “China’s armed forces bear the responsibility for the task of defending the nation’s territorial sovereignty and safeguarding maritime rights and interests,” defense ministry spokesman Geng Yansheng was quoted as saying. China claims all of the West Philippine Sea as a historic part of its territory, even waters close to the coasts of the Philippines and other Southeast Asian countries. Geng added the military would cooperate with Chinese government bodies handling fishery and maritime affairs to safeguard the country’s rights, Xinhua said, but gave no further details. The Philippines said Thursday it would seek more US military help during top-level talks next week, despite China’s warning not to “internationalize” the tense territorial dispute. Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said the Philippines was looking to the United States to help it achieve a “credible” defense system, and wanted to extract maximum benefits from a mutual defense treaty between the allies. The United States and the Philippines are now holding military exercises though officials of both countries deny a link to the dispute with China. The Philippines has complained over the past two years that China has become increasingly aggressive in staking its claim to the waters, with tensions spiking over the Scarborough Shoal standoff. China itself is currently holding naval exercises with Russia off the Chinese coast which included live-fire drills on Thursday, state media said. The exercises are the first ever dedicated naval drills between the two countries. China plans more military exercises with Russia and central Asian countries belonging to a regional grouping, which have been scheduled for June in Tajikistan, Geng said. He added that China’s recent tests of its first aircraft carrier had no relationship to the “current regional situation.” That vessel, a refitted former Soviet carrier called the Varyag, underwent its second sea trial in November last year. Source |
![]() |
|
| Furbolling | Apr 27 2012, 01:20 PM Post #1738 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
a message to China from Philippines.. "even a RAT will bite the Cat if cornered " |
|
"Brothers!! What we do in life, Echoes through Eternity" -Maximus | |
![]() |
|
| THE_NEWS_MAN | Apr 27 2012, 10:11 PM Post #1739 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
China OKs project on disputed West Philippine Sea isle BEIJING—China has approved a development project that would support tourism and fishing around West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) islands, a move likely to inflame territorial disputes. Southernmost Hainan province wants to build a supply dock over more than 823 acres of water off Jinqing island, part of the Paracel chain. Vietnam claims the Paracels as its territory and has protested China’s tourism plans there. The State Oceanic Administration said Thursday it agreed “in principle” to Hainan’s proposal. It is considering a proposal for another supply dock in the West Philippine Sea, the statement said without elaborating. Hainan Vice Governor Tan Li has said he was determined to start tourism development in the Paracel Islands this year. The Paracels and other territory in the West Philippine Sea are claimed variously by China, Vietnam and four other nations for their potential oil and gas deposits, rich fishing grounds and proximity to busy commercial sea lanes. Also on Thursday, the Philippines said China violated a 2002 pact when Chinese government ships prevented Filipino authorities from arresting Chinese fishermen at a disputed shoal this month. Philippine Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario said in Manila that China’s aggressive actions at the Scarborough Shoal violated an accord between China and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations that discourages aggressive acts in the West Philippine Sea. Del Rosario said Manila would consider any Asean offer to intercede to end the shoal dispute, which began April 10. Source i know this isnt part of our claim.sa nakikita ko ito na ang mitcha nang shooting war hinde laban sa pinas kaso laban sa vietnam.kung nagkaputukan sana nmn magising ang mnga congresso matataba at mnga general na tamad.at wag puro sumbong ang gawin taasan ang atin military budget and open a joint military base tulad nang sabe nang isang japanese news. |
![]() |
|
| icefrog | Apr 27 2012, 11:17 PM Post #1740 |
![]()
|
I severely doubt these current rumors. How on earth it can be sold w/o anyone knowing it. Impossible. This is just black propaganda and a way to divert the perceived current admin's ineptness to handle the situation and blame it again on the past administration. |
|
Sign up for the Philippines' first E-wallet via this referral and get PHP 24.00 as a gift credited to your account: https://coins.ph/invite/gphUpV | |
![]() |
|
| 2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous) | |
| Go to Next Page | |
| « Previous Topic · West Philippine Sea · Next Topic » |




![]](http://z1.ifrm.com/static/1/pip_r.png)



8:30 AM Jul 11