| Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| The Kalayaan, Panatag & other disputed islands; Future conflict zones? | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Feb 2 2005, 08:00 PM (155,961 Views) | |
| THE_NEWS_MAN | Apr 17 2012, 07:47 PM Post #1631 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Gazmin to discuss China standoff with US defense chief MANILA, Philippines – Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin on Tuesday said he plans to discuss the ongoing territorial dispute with China with US defense secretary Leon Panetta in Washington at the end of the month. Gazmin said he will be joined by Foreign Affairs Albert del Rosario in the meeting, scheduled on April 30. Joining Panetta in the upcoming meeting is Secretary of the State Hilary Clinton. Gazmin said the meeting will discuss regional issues, bilateral ties, defense and economic cooperation. Asked if the standoff at the Scarborough Shoal will be discussed, he said: "I'm sure this will be one of the subject matters." He added that he expects the US to act only if their interest is involved. “If it’s not, it’s not for the good of their interest, then I'm sure they won't act,’ he said. The defense chief said the US could offer equipment upgrades that would help the Philippines safeguard its maritime resources. The Department of Foreign Affairs earlier filed its second diplomatic protest against China over China’s alleged harassment of the Philippine-registered MY Saranggani. Gazmin said a suspected Chinese aircraft buzzed a Filipino fishing vessel at the disputed Scarborough Shoal on Monday. He said the buzzing was tantamount to telling the Filipino fishing vessel, which recently arrived the shoal, to leave the contested area. The buzzing was reported by the Coast Guard whose BRP Edsa Dos is in the area, along with two Chinese maritime surveillance ships. China claims all of the South China Sea as its own on historical grounds, even waters approaching the coasts of the Philippines and other Southeast Asian countries. The rival claims have been a source of regional tensions for decades, although the Philippines and Vietnam have accused China over the past year of becoming increasingly aggressive in asserting its position. On April 8 the Philippines found the eight Chinese fishing boats at Scarborough Shoal, and deployed its warship to arrest the crew. China quickly deployed three civilian maritime vessels that took turns in blocking the warship. In a bid to calm the situation, the Philippines pulled back its warship and replaced it with a coast guard vessel late last week, and the fishing vessels sailed away over the weekend. A lone Philippine coast guard boat now remained in the area on Tuesday, facing off with two Chinese civilian ships. Source |
![]() |
|
| Mckoyzzz | Apr 17 2012, 08:48 PM Post #1632 |
|
Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
![]()
|
Only a modernized military can stop China bullying: PH defense chief 17-Apr-12, 4:42 PM | Jaime Sinapit, InterAksyon.com MANILA, Philippines - Only a modernized military can stop China from bullying the Philippines over the Panatag (Scarborough) Shoal and other disputed areas in the West Philippine Sea, Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin said on Tuesday. Gazmin said the government through the Department of Foreign Affairs (AFP) has been exhausting all means for a peaceful resolution and enforcement of maritime laws but China has remained uncooperative. “Well, the third option is a credible deterrence: upgrade the capability of our Armed Forces. But again, this is not directed towards to China or any of the countries in the region; this is for our protection to make sure that our laws are enforced and we are able to protect our territorial waters,” Gazmin said. The commander of the Northern Luzon Command (NOLCOM), Lt. Gen. Anthony Alcantara, visited Monday the officers and crew of the Philippine’s biggest warship, BRP Gregorio del Pilar, currently on dock and waiting for mission order from higher-ups at the Poro Point in La Union. “It was just a normal visit to our troops in that area especially our Navy men assigned at the BRP del Pilar. I just relayed to them orders from higher-ups and I’m not at liberty to divulge it to the media because it’s all operational,” Alcantara said. ![]() The US-made BRP Gregorio del Pilar and the British-made Peacock, the only available warships the Philippines, are on standby for mission order at Poro Point in La Union. At right, Nolcom chief Lt. Gen. Anthony Alcantara (center, in camouflage uniform), gives instructions Monday inside the BRP Gregorio del Pilar to the ship commander, Capt. Alberto Cruz (seated right second in Navy uniform), Commodore Cesar Taccad, commander of the Naval Forces Northern Luzon Command) and other officers and men of the warship. Gazmin lamented that China seems to prefer bullying its neighbors such as the Philippines rather than resolve the issue lawfully and legally under given laws such as the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). The Panatag Shoal is about 165 nautical miles of Zambales province and situated well within the 200-nautical-mile (UNCLOS provision) exclusive economic zone (EEZ) of the Philippines. “We cannot resolve this on the basis of the UNCLOS if one party (China) did not want to cooperate and face the international court of justice. As far as we are concerned, we are always ready and pushing for this but they (China) don’t like it. Their (China) only basis of claiming the area is ‘history’,” Gazmin said. The volatile situation at the Panatag Shoal is far from over after the two maritime surveillance vessels (84 and 71) of China returned to the area last Sunday and was joined by another fishing vessel Monday. Two ships of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) and MY Sarangani, a private ship manned by a French team conducting archeological research, were also in the area. A Chinese aircraft buzzed the Philippine vessels. “An aircraft buzzed over our vessels. We are certain that this was a Chinese aircraft. The incident was yesterday afternoon (Monday). We will have to get into specifics,” Gazmin said. ... Standing orders: assert sovereignty at all times Meanwhile, Gazmin said President Benigno Aquino III has instructed the DFA and the DND to assert the Philippine rights over the Panatag Shoal. “We’ve to fight for it and we will not leave the area. Of course, we cannot afford to go to war at this time and therefore we’ve to continue our talks with Chinese authorities,” he said. He also rejected unsolicited advice to seek assistance from the United States. “This is a thing that we don’t have to ask for because the area is ours. But I am sure that if the standoff will affect their (US) own interest they will help us. But again we should stand on our own and right now we are in the process of trying to diplomatically settle the issue,” Gazmin said. The longer the standoff at Panatag Shoal, the greater the impact will be on the economic activity in the area, particularly for local fishermen, Gazmin said. “The most affected here are our fishermen because of this standoff,” he said. interaksyon.com |
![]() "Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong -- Dandemis" | |
![]() |
|
| Ayoshi | Apr 18 2012, 03:29 AM Post #1633 |
![]()
|
'Let's jaw-jaw, not war-war' MANILA, Philippines - Some quarters have noted that the Philippines can’t win even in pitikan ng ilong – flicking of noses – against China, according to President Aquino. So borrowing a phrase from Britain’s wartime Prime Minister Winston Churchill, Aquino said yesterday, “It’s better to jaw, jaw, jaw than to war, war, war.” Aquino said that while the Philippines is strongly protesting China’s incursion in Scarborough Shoal, it is acknowledging the preeminence of diplomacy in resolving the standoff involving two Chinese vessels and a Philippine search and rescue ship. Scarborough, which the Philippines calls Panatag Shoal, lies just 120 nautical miles from Zambales and is well within the country’s 200-mile exclusive economic zone. “It will be more difficult if we are not talking. And there is a quote from, I think, Churchill – well, it’s attributed to Churchill… It is: ‘Better now to jaw-jaw than to war-war.’ That might be a flippant way of saying it but the minute that you stop talking, (it will be more difficult),” he said. “We are still in constant touch with them. We are still clarifying… stressing and clarifying and reiterating our respective positions,” the President said. “We have been ready to protect our sovereignty to the limits of our capabilities. But, again, I will appeal to all of you. Before, it was being stated that in a boxing bout with China, with 1.3 billion (population) and we are 95 million, kahit sa pitikan ng ilong, di tayo mananalo (even in a nose flicking match, we will not win),” he said. “So what are we going to gain if we dramatize or worsen the situation and enrage each other to the point of (going into war?)” Aquino said. READ MORE >>> |
![]() |
|
| icefrog | Apr 18 2012, 03:46 AM Post #1634 |
![]()
|
How about if we buy, buy and not just talk, talk!! Release more funds!! |
|
Sign up for the Philippines' first E-wallet via this referral and get PHP 24.00 as a gift credited to your account: https://coins.ph/invite/gphUpV | |
![]() |
|
| pachador | Apr 18 2012, 05:18 AM Post #1635 |
![]()
|
I'm starting to wonder if the giant will do a mischief reef part 2 construction of structures in scaborough shoal because it looks like they seem to be keeping a permanent presence with their ships over there. I hope not otherwise, the philippine' trigger hand will be forced or we just back down and be humiliated |
![]() |
|
| truegrit | Apr 18 2012, 07:18 AM Post #1636 |
![]()
|
Mostly likely it will come to this when all of a sudden a Big Chinese Supply ships with loads of building materials enough to build another fortress Outpost. if this thing happened, what will the PN and PCG do? Just sit, watch and protest again? If we do this tactics to them on China's owned shoal in Spratly Islands, I bet this will fire at us without any hesitation coz they know we hesitate and just run off. Talagang malakas ang loob ng mga Intsik na yan at pinag-mumukha sa atin ang gagawin nilang pag-nakaw ng Yaman Dagat at Territoryo natin.. At ganito ang mangyayari kung lagi na lang tayo ng TALK TALK TALK Diplomatic. Dapat may Force Projection or Muscle to show them. We can never defeat the whole PLAN forces but we can inflict a Lot of Damage to them that they would think more than twice of doing it again. |
![]() |
|
| pachador | Apr 18 2012, 07:36 AM Post #1637 |
![]()
|
kung sa pusoy pa, ipinakita na natin ang ating baraha. biruin mo sinasabi natin na jaw jaw lang at no war war. its true we dont want war but no need to verbalize it. |
![]() |
|
| spearhead | Apr 18 2012, 07:38 AM Post #1638 |
|
DoctorNO, Your Neutral Observer.
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
I wonder what's in FVR's mind now. |
"Men of War must learn the art of numbers or he will not know how to array his troops." - Plato![]() ![]() | |
![]() |
|
| Mckoyzzz | Apr 18 2012, 02:24 PM Post #1639 |
|
Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
![]()
|
China's side of the standoff story... Chinese Embassy Clarifies Philippines-China Standoff April 17, 2012, 4:19pm So much has been said or written on the Philippines-China standoff over the Panatag Shoal (Huangyan Island) even as both sides have been trying to settle the issue through diplomatic means. In a bid to explain the Chinese side, Zhang Hua, spokesman of the Chinese embassy, tries to answer questions over the disputed shoal: 1. Q: How did Huangyan Island Incident Happen? A: Huangyan Island area has been the traditional fishing ground of Chinese fishermen for generations. Twelve Chinese fishing boats were harassed by a Philippine Navy ship in the lagoon of Huangyan Island in the morning of April 10. The Chinese side lodged representations with the Philippine side. 2. Q: What’s your comment on the Philippines’ claim on the sovereignty of Huangyan Island? A: Huangyan Island is China’s territory. It is China that first discovered this island, gave it the name, incorpo¬rated it into its territory, and exercised jurisdiction over it. The Philippine territory is set by a series of international treaties, in¬cluding the Treaty of Paris(1898), The Treaty of Washington(1900) and the Treaty with Great Britain (1930), none of which ever referred to Huangyan Island or included this island into its territory. Until 1997, the Philippine side has never disputed China’s juris¬diction of and development on Huang¬yan Island. On the other hand, the Philippines indicated on a number of occasions that Huangyan Island was beyond its territory. According to the international law, including United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea(UNCLOS), the Philipines’ claim of the juristiction rights and sovereignty rights over Huangyan Island with the arguments of Exclusive Economic Zone(EEZ) is groundless. UNCLOS allows coastal states to claim a 200-nautical-mile EEZ, but coastal states have no rights to infringe on the inherent territory and sovereignty of other countries. The Philippines asserts that Huangyan Island is closer to its territory, but in fact “geographical proximity” has long been dismissed by the international law and practice as the principle of the solution of territory ownership. 3. Q: What is China’s stance on this incident? What is the situation right now? A: The Chinese side holds that peace and stability should be main¬tained at Huangyan Island area, with fishing undisturbed. China and the Philippines have differences over the sovereignty of Huangyan Island, but after several rounds of consultations, both sides agreed not do anything to complicate or aggravate the situation. Since this incident happened, the Chinese side has been in contacts with the Philippine officials at various levels including Foreign Secretary Del Rosario both in Beijing and Ma¬nila. Both sides agreed to settle the incident through diplomatic means. In view of the complex situation in that area, which involved Navy ship, pub¬lic service vessels, and fishing boats, China’s fishing boats left on April 13 in order to help defuse the situation. However, the Philippine side hasn’t withdrawn its ships. As of 2 p.m. of April 16, there were still boats remain¬ing at that area. Unexpectedly, an archaeological vessel was found in the lagoon conducting salvage archaeol¬ogy, this infringes on China’s rights, and violates relevant international conventions. These above activities by the Philippine side raised further grave concerns of the Chinese side on the situation there. 4. Q: The Philippine side said a Chinese surveillance ship had harassed a Philippine-registered archeologial vessel with 9 French nationals on aboard. What’s your comment? A: There is, indeed, an ancient Chi¬nese wreck ship in Huangyan Island area, of which China has the owner¬ship. In accordance with relevant in¬ternational conventions and Chinese laws, it is illegal to conduct salvage activities without the permission of the Chinese government. We urge the archaeological vessel leave the area immediately. 5. Q: The Philippine side assert¬ed that there arrived another Chinese surveillance ship in Huangyan Island area on April 14th, which is interpreted that China is taking actions to aggregate the situation. What’s Your comment? A: The Chinese public service vessels are conducting legitimate patrols for law enforcement in Huangyan Island area. The incident is resulted from the infringement by the Philippine Navy Flagship Gregorio del Pilar, and the Philippines’ coast guard vessels still remain there. In this context, the Chinese public service vessels have to stay there to watch out the situation. We urge the Philippine side to withdraw all of their vessels from Huangyan Island area, and restore peace and stability there. 6. Q: What’s your comment on the reports that the Philippine side has found endangered maritime spicies in the Chinese fishing boats? A: In protecting the endangered maritime species, the Chinese side has always educated its fishermen to abide by relevant Chinese and international laws and regulations. The relevant Chinese authorities will, as always, administer, investigate, and prosecute any violations in accor¬dance with above-mentioned laws. 7. Q: How do you think the situation will develop? A: Departing from our good will of developing friendly relations with the Philippines, we are ready to engage in further discussions with the Philippine side and try our best to settle the incident properly. Manila Bulletin |
![]() "Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong -- Dandemis" | |
![]() |
|
| Xwolf | Apr 18 2012, 03:12 PM Post #1640 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
I really don't want a 1 liner response.. but i cant help it. SCREW YOU CHINA! (just letting off some steam) Now what our dear ambassador from geylandchink has finally spoken only points out that his intelligence (his I.Q.) is really way low that he is only proving that they don’t have a ground to stand on the issue. |
|
-I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.- | |
![]() |
|
| 2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous) | |
| Go to Next Page | |
| « Previous Topic · West Philippine Sea · Next Topic » |




![]](http://z1.ifrm.com/static/1/pip_r.png)









8:30 AM Jul 11