Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
The Kalayaan, Panatag & other disputed islands; Future conflict zones?
Topic Started: Feb 2 2005, 08:00 PM (155,976 Views)
fatbat_mca
Member Avatar
Member
[ *  *  * ]
China sends reinforcement in standoff with PH Navy

By TESSA JAMANDRE, VERA Files

It's now one against three in the ongoing standoff in Scarborough shoal in the South China Sea, with a lone Philippine Navy vessel up against three Chinese Marine Surveillance (CMS) ships whose presence, officials say, violates Philippine sovereignty.

China sent the 1,000-ton maritime surveillance ship Yuzheng 303, sighted eight nautical miles from the position of the BRP Gregorio del Pilar, after it sent a marine surveillance aircraft at around 2 p.m. Wednesday (April 11).

When the Yuzheng 303 was approaching southwest of Scarborough, two CMS ships with bow numbers 75 and 84 that were already in the area steamed towards the approaching Chinese vessel.

Philippine military officials say the Chinese naval presence plus air cover was meant as a show of force. It was China's response to the April 10 incident when the Gregorio del Pilar apprehended Chinese fishing boats in Scarborough shoal, also called Panatag.

The vessels are part of China's Fisheries Law Enforcement (CFLE) command tasked to protect Chinese fishing vessels and personnel. It belongs to China's South China Sea Corps based on Guangzhou and transferred from the Chinese Navy in 2009.

The Yuzheng 303 and the marine surveillance aircraft arrived at Scarborough while Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario, Navy chief Vice Adm. Alexander Pama, and Philippine Coast Guard chief, Vice Adm. Edmund Castor Tan were conducting a media briefing on the standoff.

Del Rosario said there was a clear violation of Philippine sovereignty. He hoped to arrive at a diplomatic solution but said that if the Philippines is challenged, "it is prepared to secure its sovereignty."

Tan said the Coast Guard's search and rescue vessel is expected in the area Thursday (April 12). "Our role is just to be there to show our presence," he said.

Pama confirmed that all preparations are being undertaken including sending ships, but he refused to disclose the number and their positions. "We are ready but we have no intentions of telegraphing our intentions in the area," Pama said.


The Philippine Navy's cautious move is in accordance with President Aquino's guidance of "white to white, gray to gray." "White to white" means civilian ships are to deal only with civilian ships, in this case the Philippine Coast Guard to the Chinese Marine Surveillance. "Gray to gray" means navy to navy.

This directive sprung from the Reed Bank incident last year when China's marine surveillance ship warded off the Philippine commissioned seismic vessel Voyager. The President has said that Coast Guard will take the primary role of enforcing maritime laws.

In the meeting in Malacañang Tuesday evening, the primacy of the Coast Guard's role in the conduct of vessel search and seizure (VBSS) was reiterated.

The military's Northern Luzon Command, which has operational control of the area, took part in the meeting via teleconferencing. It said that following the issuance of Executive Order 57 creating the Coast Watch Council under the office of the Executive Secretary, it is primarily the Coast Guard that is mandated to enforce maritime laws and effect necessary arrests.

But it was also agreed upon that when the Navy is in an area for patrol, it can also enforce maritime laws such as VBSS, as they did in Scarborough shoal on April 10 when they found eight Chinese fishing boats with sizable quantities of endangered marine species, corals, live sharks and giant clams.

However, neither seizure of illegal cargoes nor arrest of the Chinese fishermen had been done.

Pama said they are still in consultation with concerned agencies of government on the issue of filing appropriate charges against the Chinese fishermen.

The Coast Watch station in the area has monitored foreign fishing vessels as early as three weeks ago but it was only on April 8 that a naval islander aircraft confirmed the sighting. The BRP Gregorio del Pilar, the country's lone modern naval patrol frigate acquired from the US last year, was on its way to Northern Luzon as part of the contingency measures for North Korea's rocket launch when it confirmed the presence of Chinese fishing vessels in the Scarborough shoal.

Scarborough or Panatag shoal, just 124 nautical miles from Zambales, is not enclosed in the country's straight baseline. It is treated as a regime of islands of the country's Archipelagic Baselines submitted to the United Nations Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf (CLCS).

The shoal is not new to incidents involving Chinese fishermen. On May 23, 1999, a Philippine Navy patrol craft sank a Chinese fishing vessel in a collision incident.
There had also been attempts by China to put markers on the shoal but these were subsequently blasted by the Philippines.

The Philippines on Wednesday lodged a diplomatic protest when Chinese Ambassador Ma Keqing was summoned to the DFA. Likewise the Philippines Charge d'Affaires in Beijing was summoned by China's foreign ministry. A note verbale from China on the incident is to be expected, Del Rosario said.

Ma Keqing reiterated her country's position that Scarborough is an integral part of Chinese territory.

Yuzheng 303 is the same ship that escorted a Chinese fishing vessel that also figured in a standoff with Petrovietnam's commissioned exploration vessel in June last year. That incident in the waters disputed by Vietnam and China also triggered a diplomatic standoff after China cut off the cable lines of Vietnam's Viking 2 that got entangled with the anchor lines of Chinese fishing vessel 6226.

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/blogs/the-inbox/c...-021443120.html
oh my sofie!
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
zztopy
Member
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:
 
The Philippine Navy's cautious move is in accordance with President Aquino's guidance of "white to white, gray to gray." "White to white" means civilian ships are to deal only with civilian ships, in this case the Philippine Coast Guard to the Chinese Marine Surveillance. "Gray to gray" means navy to navy.


good strategy by ph govt so far..if china sends their white ships, then we respond in the same manner to preserve the moral high ground we are currently holding. :thumbsup:
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
AZKALS
Member Avatar


Compromise possible in the ongoing maritime standoff around Scarborough Shoal ... :armycool:


http://news.yahoo.com/philippines-china-ey...-023017546.html


Offline Profile Goto Top
 
fatbat_mca
Member Avatar
Member
[ *  *  * ]
China would certainly want this to end in a diplomatic manner, thats why they did not send their navy ships.

World opinion is heavily against them, what with the pictures of corals & live sharks in the holds of their fishing vessels published around the world.

oh my sofie!
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
shoot_to_kill
Member
[ *  *  * ]
fatbat_mca
Apr 12 2012, 11:56 AM
China would certainly want this to end in a diplomatic manner, thats why they did not send their navy ships.

World opinion is heavily against them, what with the pictures of corals & live sharks in the holds of their fishing vessels published around the world.


here we go now i know why you posted such messages.

they are sending destroyers and this was in the news, 2 destroyer infact(most probably lurking).(this was reported in the local news and international and also posted by some forumers here)
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
fatbat_mca
Member Avatar
Member
[ *  *  * ]
shoot_to_kill
Apr 12 2012, 12:15 PM
fatbat_mca
Apr 12 2012, 11:56 AM
China would certainly want this to end in a diplomatic manner, thats why they did not send their navy ships.

World opinion is heavily against them, what with the pictures of corals & live sharks in the holds of their fishing vessels published around the world.


here we go now i know why you posted such messages.

they are sending destroyers and this was in the news, 2 destroyer infact(most probably lurking).(this was reported in the local news and international and also posted by some forumers here)

OK smartboy, kindly post the link to the news story that China is sending 2 destroyers.

You claim its in the local & international news...where? :armyroleyes:

It seems youre the one who is propagating hearsay here.
oh my sofie!
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
israeli
Member Avatar


remember these faces:

Posted Image
-- Chinese crew members forced to pose with their catch. If found to have been caught in PHL waters, they could be charged with poaching. (Source: GMANews.tv)
"To secure peace is to prepare for war." - Carl Von Clausewitz
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
israeli
Member Avatar


China sends reinforcement in standoff with PH Navy
By VERA Files | The Inbox – 4 hours ago


Posted Image
-- the Yuzheng 303. (Source: http://china-pla.blogspot.com)


It's now one against three in the ongoing standoff in Scarborough shoal in the South China Sea, with a lone Philippine Navy vessel up against three Chinese Marine Surveillance (CMS) ships whose presence, officials say, violates Philippine sovereignty.

China sent the 1,000-ton maritime surveillance ship Yuzheng 303, sighted eight nautical miles from the position of the BRP Gregorio del Pilar, after it sent a marine surveillance aircraft at around 2 p.m. Wednesday (April 11).


When the Yuzheng 303 was approaching southwest of Scarborough, two CMS ships with bow numbers 75 and 84 that were already in the area steamed towards the approaching Chinese vessel.

Philippine military officials say the Chinese naval presence plus air cover was meant as a show of force. It was China's response to the April 10 incident when the Gregorio del Pilar apprehended Chinese fishing boats in Scarborough shoal, also called Panatag.

The vessels are part of China's Fisheries Law Enforcement (CFLE) command tasked to protect Chinese fishing vessels and personnel. It belongs to China's South China Sea Corps based on Guangzhou and transferred from the Chinese Navy in 2009.

The Yuzheng 303 and the marine surveillance aircraft arrived at Scarborough while Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario, Navy chief Vice Adm. Alexander Pama, and Philippine Coast Guard chief, Vice Adm. Edmund Castor Tan were conducting a media briefing on the standoff.

<snipped>

Tan said the Coast Guard's search and rescue vessel is expected in the area Thursday (April 12). "Our role is just to be there to show our presence," he said.

Pama confirmed that all preparations are being undertaken including sending ships, but he refused to disclose the number and their positions. "We are ready but we have no intentions of telegraphing our intentions in the area," Pama said.


The Philippine Navy's cautious move is in accordance with President Aquino's guidance of "white to white, gray to gray." "White to white" means civilian ships are to deal only with civilian ships, in this case the Philippine Coast Guard to the Chinese Marine Surveillance. "Gray to gray" means navy to navy.

This directive sprung from the Reed Bank incident last year when China's marine surveillance ship warded off the Philippine commissioned seismic vessel Voyager. The President has said that Coast Guard will take the primary role of enforcing maritime laws.


In the meeting in Malacañang Tuesday evening, the primacy of the Coast Guard's role in the conduct of vessel search and seizure (VBSS) was reiterated.

The military's Northern Luzon Command, which has operational control of the area, took part in the meeting via teleconferencing. It said that following the issuance of Executive Order 57 creating the Coast Watch Council under the office of the Executive Secretary, it is primarily the Coast Guard that is mandated to enforce maritime laws and effect necessary arrests.

But it was also agreed upon that when the Navy is in an area for patrol, it can also enforce maritime laws such as VBSS, as they did in Scarborough shoal on April 10 when they found eight Chinese fishing boats with sizable quantities of endangered marine species, corals, live sharks and giant clams.

However, neither seizure of illegal cargoes nor arrest of the Chinese fishermen had been done.


Pama said they are still in consultation with concerned agencies of government on the issue of filing appropriate charges against the Chinese fishermen.

The Coast Watch station in the area has monitored foreign fishing vessels as early as three weeks ago but it was only on April 8 that a naval islander aircraft confirmed the sighting. The BRP Gregorio del Pilar, the country's lone modern naval patrol frigate acquired from the US last year, was on its way to Northern Luzon as part of the contingency measures for North Korea's rocket launch when it confirmed the presence of Chinese fishing vessels in the Scarborough shoal.

<snipped>

The Philippines on Wednesday lodged a diplomatic protest when Chinese Ambassador Ma Keqing was summoned to the DFA. Likewise the Philippines Charge d'Affaires in Beijing was summoned by China's foreign ministry. A note verbale from China on the incident is to be expected, Del Rosario said.

Ma Keqing reiterated her country's position that Scarborough is an integral part of Chinese territory.

Yuzheng 303 is the same ship that escorted a Chinese fishing vessel that also figured in a standoff with Petrovietnam's commissioned exploration vessel in June last year. That incident in the waters disputed by Vietnam and China also triggered a diplomatic standoff after China cut off the cable lines of Vietnam's Viking 2 that got entangled with the anchor lines of Chinese fishing vessel 6226.


More of the article here.
"To secure peace is to prepare for war." - Carl Von Clausewitz
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
THE_NEWS_MAN
Member
[ *  *  * ]
PH pulls out warship from Scarborough


MANILA - The Philippines said Thursday it had pulled its biggest warship out of a standoff with Chinese vessels, but the impasse was not resolved with China sending a third ship to the disputed waters.

"The Philippine navy ship has been pulled out," Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario told reporters.

source
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
Zero wing
Member Avatar
ZAFT Sepcial Forces Operative for SEA
[ *  *  * ]
I think we should make a base on Scarborough so that this would never happen again those people have no respect for us we should cut tie with them.
"No sacrifice is too great in the service of freedom."

“As long as we are not willing to provide an adequate, suitable and capable defense for this country, we will be oppressed, demeaned and dishonored. We will be the stepping mat of every country in this region,”(Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile)

“Just because we are a very weak country militarily, we should not be taken advantage of by more powerful countries" (Senate committee on national defense and security chairman Panfilo Lacson)
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · West Philippine Sea · Next Topic »
Locked Topic