| Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| The Kalayaan, Panatag & other disputed islands; Future conflict zones? | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Feb 2 2005, 08:00 PM (155,987 Views) | |
| Tsukiyomi | Apr 2 2012, 09:50 PM Post #1371 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Based on Azkals latest post in this thread...it seems we should do more joint naval exercises with all claimants while excluding the chicom pigs. Basically have a schoolyard game and leave the bully out. Present this united front to make it hard for them to pull their bilateral crap. They are simply trying to break down the efforts at cooperation between us and the viets. United we stand. They are worried and we should give them a reason to be worried. I wonder what kind of pressure we could put if we pull the other claimants in a room to negotiate this issue away without the chicoms present and then present the results to the UN. Chipigs would crap themselves. |
![]() |
|
| fernandez705 | Apr 3 2012, 01:58 AM Post #1372 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
its funny in a global warming meeting all the western countries were complaining about china not reducing their carbon foot print and china replied that the western countries had already developed so let us develop. now in this spratlys dispute their the ones bulliying us and oder less developed countries. china you had your turn to developed so let us develop. in the past they couldn't defend the spratlys so countries occupied it, now that their strong, they want it back but instead of the less develop countries backing down were putting our feet down and not backing down. |
![]() |
|
| spearhead | Apr 3 2012, 02:12 AM Post #1373 |
|
DoctorNO, Your Neutral Observer.
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Philippines to forge ahead with Spratlys tourism plan April 2, 2012 9:06pm The Philippines plans to develop a disputed island in the South China Sea into a tourism center with a 100-meter (330-ft) concrete wharf, officials said on Monday, a bold assertion of its sovereignty that is bound to rile China. Last week, China protested the planned construction of a beaching ramp by the Philippines on the coral-fringed island, the second largest in the Spratlys and the biggest occupied by the Philippines in the contested region. The 37-hectare (91-acre) island, with its Philippine name Pag-asa, is habitable, boasting fresh water and a small population of a few hundred people. Beijing, which claims the South China Sea as its territory based on historical records, said last week that China had "indisputable sovereignty" over the area. The development of Pag-asa comes as a territorial squabble over the South China Sea enters a new and more contentious chapter, with claimant nations searching deeper into disputed waters for energy supplies while building up their navies and military alliances, especially with the United States. Proven and undiscovered oil reserve estimates in the South China Sea range as high as 213 billion barrels, the US Energy Information Administration said in a 2008 report. That would surpass every country's proven oil reserves except Saudi Arabia and Venezuela, according to the BP Statistical Review. US President Barack Obama has sought to reassure regional allies that Washington would serve as a counterbalance to a newly assertive China in the South China Sea, part of his campaign to "pivot" US foreign policy more intensely on Asia after a decade of war in Iraq and Afghanistan. Read more. |
"Men of War must learn the art of numbers or he will not know how to array his troops." - Plato![]() ![]() | |
![]() |
|
| THE_NEWS_MAN | Apr 3 2012, 03:18 AM Post #1374 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Del Rosario reiterates nation’s commitment to rule of law on Spratlys he Philippines adheres to the primacy of international law in resolving territorial disputes in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea), Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario told a meeting of Southeast Asian diplomats in Cambodia Monday. Speaking at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) Foreign Ministers’ Meeting in Phnom Penh, Del Rosario said abiding by the rules set by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea is the legitimate way of dealing with conflicting and overlapping claims in the Spratly islands in the West Philippine Sea. Apart from the Philippines and host Cambodia, Asean also groups Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, Thailand, Burma (Myanmar), Laos, and Vietnam. Four Asean members—the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, and Brunei—are claimants in the Spratlys, along with China and Taiwan. In his remarks, Del Rosario also reaffirmed the Philippines’ “commitment to the maintenance of peace and stability in the region.” He noted that as Asean commemorates the 10th anniversary of the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea, signed in Phnom Penh in 2002, Asean was “now working to identify the main elements of the regional code of conduct.” Source |
![]() |
|
| Ayoshi | Apr 3 2012, 04:16 PM Post #1375 |
![]()
|
Phl wants Asean stand on Spratlys PHNOM PENH – The Philippines wants the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to take a common stand on regional maritime disputes, particularly over the potentially oil-rich Spratly Islands, before dealing with China on the issue. “On the Code of Conduct, it is important for ASEAN to first agree among themselves on the draft text of the COC before meeting with China,” Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario declared yesterday in a statement read before a gathering of foreign ministers of the regional bloc. “The Philippines believes that the COC must contain the following fundamental elements: Guidelines by which stakeholder-states are to conduct themselves in the West Philippine Sea,” Del Rosario said. “I think the difference of opinion lies in the fact that we are advocating that a draft of the COC be prepared before we sit down with China,” he said. “Others are taking the view that China should be invited to come in for the initial discussion.” He stressed the need for “mechanisms on dispute settlement, including the appropriate structure for its effective implementation” as well as “provisions relating to cooperative activities, as may be appropriate, for the disputed areas.” He reiterated the country’s adherence to international laws, particularly the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), in dealing with the regional problem. “We believe that a rules-based approach under the dispute settlement mechanism established in UNCLOS is the legitimate solution in addressing conflicting and overlapping claims in the West Philippine Sea,” he added. “The Philippines hopes that the Code of Conduct will be a real move forward not merely in terms of form, but more importantly in substance,” the foreign affairs secretary stated further. The Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea (DOC) was signed here in 2002, between ASEAN and China. READ MORE |
![]() |
|
| THE_NEWS_MAN | Apr 3 2012, 06:42 PM Post #1376 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Defense chief calls China a bully in Spratly dispute ANILA, Philippines—Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin said China was singling out the Philippines because it has the weakest defense capability among the six nations that have laid claim to the oil-rich Spratly Islands in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). In a news forum with defense reporters Tuesday, Gazmin was asked why China would protest every move made by the Philippines on its claimed territory when it does not do the same against the likes of Vietnam and Malaysia which have also built on occupied islands. “Maybe we’re their favorite,” Gazmin said. “They see that in the region in terms of the capability of the armed forces, we are the weakest. You look at Malaysia, they have a strong armed forces. Vietnam has a strong armed forces. Brunei also has a strong armed forces. “We are below par. So of course if you are going to bully, you would look for the weakest. You do not get someone who is your equal.” The Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Vietnam claim portions of the Spratlys, which China claims entirely. China’s latest protest had to do with the Philippines’ reported plan to construct a beaching ramp on Pag-asa Island, the biggest of the Philippine-occupied islands in the Spratlys collectively referred to as the Kalayaan group of islands. Kalayaan is considered a municipality of Palawan province. “Pag-asa is ours. We have a mayor there, we have a Philippine flag. Why do we need to ask permission from whichever country if we have to do repairs,” Gazmin asked. “If you do that, it means you doubt whether it’s yours. But that is ours. We don’t have to ask permission from anyone.” Gazmin said the beaching ramp and other developmental projects planned on Pag-asa could not be interpreted as military construction. “Those are not for the military. That is for commercial and tourist purposes, for our economic growth. It is not a military base although we do have a military post there. But that is not what we will expand,” he said. He said they are concentrating on constructing a beaching ramp for now to help the island’s residents. He said it would cost about P300 million. “We will just have to pool our resources together to be able to realize its completion,” Gazmin said. He said after the completing the beaching ramp, they will think of how to further develop the island, saying he was misquoted in having said that they plan to develop Pag-asa Island as a tourist spot. “We will first discuss where we’re headed,” Gazmin said, adding the island offers many opportunities once the beaching ramp is constructed and the runway repaired. He said while other nations have developed their claimed islands into tourist spots, Pag-asa could also be a regular source of fisheries and aquatic resources. Kalayaan Mayor Eugenio Biton-onon has said the ramp would be constructed by the Philippine Ports Authority with the help of the Philippine Navy to help their community. He said the beaching ramp will allow “ro-ro” (roll-on roll-off) ships to beach and unload their cargo directly on the island’s shore. Currently, people and supplies brought in by ships have to be transferred to small boats and the residents then haul in the supplies by wading in the water. SOURCE here we go again gazmin admited that our weakest defense capability among the six nations that have laid claim to the oil-rich Spratly Islands.i dont know if his to naive or what he should not talk to much.he should push for our modernization rather than talking kng AYW mo mabuli ang PHILIPPINAS e gumawa k nang paraan hinde un puro laway ang binibitawan mo |
![]() |
|
| THE_NEWS_MAN | Apr 3 2012, 06:45 PM Post #1377 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Asean, China bring rift to summit PHNOM PENH, Cambodia—New differences could undercut attempts by Southeast Asian countries and China to forge a pact aimed at preventing territorial conflicts from erupting into violence, diplomats said Tuesday at the start of a regional meeting. The disputes in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) and North Korea’s planned rocket launch this month are top security worries expected to feature prominently at a two-day summit of Southeast Asian leaders in the Cambodian capital, Phnom Penh. Myanmar, meanwhile, was basking in praise from colleagues for its recent democratic reforms. It was a marked reversal for the country, condemned for years for massive human rights violations, from its previous black sheep image at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations’ annual gathering. Myanmar President Thein Sein was to brief fellow leaders on Sunday’s historic by-elections, which saw pro-democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi’s opposition party sweep to victory. Cambodia, the 10-nation Asean’s steward this year, has wanted to focus on nonpolitically volatile issues like the goal of transforming Southeast Asia from a disparate cluster of fledgeling democracies, socialist states and monarchies into a European Union-like bloc that could compete in a bustling region dominated by rising giants such as China and India. Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen outlined the financial problems roiling the world, including skyrocketing oil prices, that he said could lash the region if it did not lock arms in unity. He did not touch on controversial security issues. “Asean is facing challenges that need to be addressed in order to realize its objective of ‘one community, one destiny,’” Hun Sen said in a speech, mentioning this year’s summit theme. Ahead of the leaders’ summit, foreign ministers and senior diplomats discussed a proposal to turn a nonbinding 2002 political declaration into a legally binding “code of conduct” to discourage aggression and prevent armed clashes among China and five other claimants — including Asean members Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam — in contested West Philippine Sea areas, officials said. Taiwan also makes claims to the West Philippine Sea. China has said it wants to take part in the drafting of the code with Asean. But Philippine Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said the bloc’s members should complete a version among themselves before discussing it with China. “Our position is we need to draft the COC (code of conduct) and then we’re ready to sit down with China, not before,” Del Rosario said. China has rejected arrangements that would force it to negotiate with a bloc of nations over the disputes, preferring one-to-one talks with each claimant. Chinese officials, who were not present at the Phnom Penh meetings, have relayed a proposal for the setting up of a 10-member group of experts and prominent statesmen that can help think of solutions, but Vietnam and the Philippines outrightly rejected the idea, according to two Southeast Asian diplomats involved in the discussions. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media. Despite differences, Asean Secretary-General Surin Pitsuwan said it was a sign of progress that China was willing to join Asean in discussing ways to solve the disputes. The conflicts have settled into an uneasy standoff since the last fighting, involving China and Vietnam, killed more than 70 Vietnamese sailors in 1988. North Korea’s planned rocket launch is also expected to be a main topic at the summit. US officials say the rocket is actually a test of long-range missile technology and that parts could fall in Southeast Asia. North Korea insists it is planning to place a peaceful observation satellite into orbit sometime between April 12 and 16. Source kng alam nyo nang iniipt tau nang CHINA bkt hinde kayo gumalaw hinde un magpapainterview kayo tapos lintek puro reklamo nmn ang ginagawa nyo. |
![]() |
|
| AZKALS | Apr 3 2012, 08:00 PM Post #1378 |
![]()
|
SND Gazmin has called China a 'BULLY' and has singled out the country due to it's weak military forces ... http://globalnation.inquirer.net/31605/def...spratly-dispute |
|
| |
![]() |
|
| Tsukiyomi | Apr 3 2012, 08:35 PM Post #1379 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Frenandez705: in the past they couldn't defend the spratlys so countries occupied it, now that their strong, they want it back but instead of the less develop countries backing down were putting our feet down and not backing down. [/COLOR=purple] Not quite right... In the past China never really cared about occupying land masses outside of its borders such as reefs and atolls. Take the Senkaku (Daiyoutai) for example. So their occupation of these areas had nothing to do with the strength of their armed forces. It was not until resources such as oil and gas were found in these areas that China started clamouring. Day late, piso short! Japan had already made it a point to develop the Senkaku Vietnam had already developed the Paracels Look at when we started having doubts about the global oil supply and when the Chinese government started freaking out about these supposed lost lands. Coincidence? |
![]() |
|
| aktibista | Apr 3 2012, 08:51 PM Post #1380 |
|
Recruit
![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Vietnam considers itself an ally of AFP for its "non-homicidal or anti-homicidal policy of not planting land mines". To quote the anonymous Vietcong general, "what has a 10 year old innocent child have to do with "alleged crimes of America" referring to Joma Sison. |
![]() |
|
| 2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous) | |
| Go to Next Page | |
| « Previous Topic · West Philippine Sea · Next Topic » |




![]](http://z1.ifrm.com/static/1/pip_r.png)





8:30 AM Jul 11