Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
The Kalayaan, Panatag & other disputed islands; Future conflict zones?
Topic Started: Feb 2 2005, 08:00 PM (155,990 Views)
Ayoshi
Member Avatar


China can carry out exploration in Spratlys but under Philippines' watch - DFA chief

Posted Image

MANILA, Philippines - China may carry out oil and mineral exploration activities in the Philippine zone of the disputed Spratly Islands in the West Philippine Sea – but it must abide by Philippine laws.

Department Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Albert del Rosario, in an exclusive interview with News5, disclosed that China had made several overtures for possible joint exploration and development in the Spratlys even as Beijing earlier made it clear it was considering the disputed areas as sovereign territory.

The Spratlys is being claimed either in whole or in part by the Philippines, China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Brunei and Malaysia. It is widely believed to have substantial deposits of oil, gas, and minerals.

The Philippines is committed to resolving the dispute in a peaceful way, according to Del Rosario. He said Manila and Beijing had agreed not to let contentious issues be an obstacle in improving their ties.

“How do we look at China? China for us is a long standing friend,” Del Rosario said. "They are a close neighbor and we are looking to broaden and deepen our relations with China.”

Recently, the Philippine Department of Energy announced it would allow exploration activity at the Recto (Reed) Bank.

Last year, a survey ship hired by a Philippine firm was confronted by Chinese vessels at the Recto Bank, which China is claiming as part of its territory.

Earlier, Taiwan voiced opposition to the exploration activities at Recto Bank.

Del Rosario maintains Recto Bank is sovereign Philippine territory and “we have mentioned this to them that the President (Benigno Aquino III) has taken the view that what is ours is ours.”

“The Recto Bank is 87 nautical miles is within the continental shelf Palawan… and under UNCLOS (United Nations Convention On the Law Of the Sea), Recto Bank would be in integral part of the Philippines. Ergo, it is ours,” Del Rosario said.

Chinese Vice President Shin Jing Ping was one of those who broached the idea of a joint development and Del Rosario admits they are not closing the door on this.

“If they want to look at joint development, joint exploration there, we would accede to that provided that it is in accordance with Philippine law,” said Del Rosario, noting further that China could come in as an investor in these joint development projects.

“We will invite investors but they must come in the basis of being governed by Philippine law,” he said.

Under Philippine law, 60 percent of revenues of such undertaking will go to the national government, according to the DFA chief.

Despite the recent incidents involving the intrusion of Chinese vessels and actions in the disputed Spratly Islands, the Philippines continues to have good relations with Beijing.

Earlier, Manila brought its concerns on China’s actions before international bodies and had called for a multilateral approach in resolving the territorial dispute.

Del Rosario emphasized that neither the Spratlys dispute nor Manila’s renewed military cooperation with the United States will deter the Philippines from strengthening its ties with China.

“China has agreed with us that the way to move forward is to focus on the bilateral agenda and to treat contentious issues separately,” he said.

Among the agreements Aquino forged in his visit to China was to advance the economic relationship of the two countries.

“We do have a commitment with China that we would work towards a total trade of $60 billion by 2016 and that by that time also, we will be able to develop Chinese tourists coming to the Philippine to the extent of two million (Chinese nationals to visit the Philippines),” Del Rosario said.

SOURCE
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
icefrog
Member Avatar


Pacific, big enough for everyone. Yeah, right. I just read from somewhere that Japan also said that back in the 30s. And we know what happened.

Beware. Continue AFP modernization and ASAP.

Sign up for the Philippines' first E-wallet via this referral and get PHP 24.00 as a gift credited to your account:
https://coins.ph/invite/gphUpV
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
THE_NEWS_MAN
Member
[ *  *  * ]
Philippines ready to take up Chinese offer for talks on joint Spratly development

FORT DEL PILAR, Baguio City, Philippines—The Philippines continues to assert its claim over the disputed Spratlys in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) but is ready for joint development negotiations being proposed by China, Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin said here on Saturday.
The defense chief also said the country was concerned about the increase in China’s military buildup but “as long as it is transparent about how they spend their military budget,” it would not be a problem.
Gazmin graced the pre-graduation program for the Philippine Military Academy’s “Bagwis” Class of 2012. President Benigno Aquino is the guest speaker at Sunday’s graduation where he will also commission new officers from the 187 members of the class.
“We are amenable to the [Chinese offer of joint cooperation] for as long as it conforms to our laws,” Gazmin said. “As [President Aquino] said, what is ours is ours. China can be allowed to have a joint venture, but it should be based on our rules.”
Newly installed Chinese Ambassador to the Philippines Ma Keqing had offered to hold talks for cooperation in developing the contested Spratlys. While she acknowledged in a recent press briefing the 11.2 percent increase in China’s military appropriations, she said her country would not pose any threat to Southeast Asian nations that are also claiming ownership of the Spratlys.
Reacting to reports that China would increase its defense budget to 670.27 billion yuan ($106.41 billion) this year, Gazmin said: “It is in China’s interest to increase its [military] budget. We maintain that we are a little bit worried about [the increased arms spending].”
But he backtracked: “For as long as there is transparency, we should not be worried about it. Basta transparent iyong pag-gastos nila ang makikita natin (As long as they are transparent in how they spend their military budget).”
Last week, the Armed Forces of the Philippines formally received four of eight new combat utility helicopters which it bought from a Poland-based aircraft manufacturer.
The helicopters, which landed at the Air Force City in Clark Field in Pampanga, are far more advanced than any helicopters currently used by the Philippine Air Force, officials said.
But Gazmin stressed the country is banking on internationally accepted laws and regulations to settle disputes.
China “also accepts the rules-based approach, which is our main approach,” Gazmin said.
The Philippines pegs its claim over parts of the Spratlys on the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea , which prescribes how each nation defines maritime territories and how it may use maritime resources.
Both the Philippines and China signed and ratified this convention.
“But [China is] saying that it is not only UNCLOS that should be considered,” Gazmin said, adding that the treaty is only one of the mechanisms for addressing the Spratly dispute.

orig web
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
truegrit


http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?artic...ubCategoryId=63

China renews warning against unilateral action in Spratlys

MANILA, Philippines - China yesterday reiterated its warning against taking unilateral action in the disputed Spratly Islands as the Philippines maintained that oil and gas exploration near the Reed Bank is non-negotiable.

Chinese Ambassador Ma Keqing said that China and other claimant-countries cannot compromise sovereignty and territorial integrity.

“Sovereignty of each country is the issue and so is territorial integrity. I think no government can make it compromise so the only way is to negotiate with each other peacefully and sit down to talk and to find if there is any convergence on which we can find a way,” Ma said in a press conference.

Ma said China is willing to negotiate and find a solution to the dispute.

“So the thinking is finding the final solution to this issue and have a joint cooperation, because the resources are there to tap and economic development both for China and the Philippines and other countries,” Ma said. “So why not use natural resources there? But since this is under disputed area, no one can take action unilaterally, so joint cooperation is the proper way to go. That is the starting point to solve differen- ces on the issue of dispute.”

Ma said China is guided by patience and wisdom to finally find a way to start negotiation.

The Philippines had earlier announced its plan to invite foreign investors to participate in the oil and gas exploration in the area near Reed Bank.

China had demanded the Philippines not conduct the planned exploration, saying the areas are under Chinese jurisdiction.
The ambassador also explained that China is not evading the rules-based regime of the United Nations on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) and interpretation of the dispute as basis for resolving conflicting claims.

The Philippines “invited” China in validating the two countries’ territorial claims under the UNCLOS to finally settle the disputes in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea).

Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario said the Philippines is prepared to validate the country’s claims under UNCLOS.

“We are not against the rules-based interpretation of the dispute,” Ma said.

“I think there are more international norms than a certain treaty, so even upholding this treaty we can find the argument to support China’s argument and stand. It may be a little misunderstanding that China is not bound by the international norms and resort to historical facts. Historical facts are very important argument for China but there are also some international norms which support China’s principles,” she added.

The Philippines also underscored the importance of the rule of law and pressed strongly for a rules-based regime in the West Philippine Sea during the General Debate of the 66th session of the UN General Assembly.
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
fernandez705
Member
[ *  *  * ]
still continue our modernization for in case
they are probably being deceptive to slow or stop modernization but they're probably not being deceptive
still its better to be prepared than sorry.
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
superman
Member Avatar
Member
[ *  *  * ]
By all means we must strengthen our own AFP, We live in a time when people don't trust each other anymore. We must learn the lesson of history it's a never ending cycle of national interest, greed and expansion. We did the right thing of alarming international community that's why China is lying low but just like a wolves in sheep's clothes it's just taking it's time for it's next move and that we never know so we better be prepared maybe it's big!
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
Mckoyzzz
Member Avatar
Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
PDFF Mod Group
PH gets Russia's support on maritime issues
ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 03/15/2012 9:36 PM | Updated as of 03/15/2012 9:36 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Russia is supporting the Philippines' stand that rules based on transparency and diplomacy should be used to resolve maritime issues.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov aired his government's support during his bilateral meeting with Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert F. del Rosario in Moscow on March 13, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said on Thursday.

The 2 officials tackled regional and international issues, including maritime security in the Asia-Pacific region.

"They agreed that the threats faced in this area should be approached using a rules-based regime based on transparency and diplomacy. They affirmed their commitment to ensure safety of navigation and other security issues in the Asia-Pacific region," the DFA said.

The Philippines earlier asked China to end the disputes in the West Philippine Sea or South China Sea by validating the 2 countries' territorial claims under the United Nations on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).

Chinese Ambassador Ma Keqing declined to make a commitment on the issue but said Beijing is not ignoring the UNCLOS as a way to resolve territorial disputes.

Del Rosario and Lavrov also discussed Syrian crisis and the Arab Spring phenomena in their bilateral talks, according to the DFA.

The DFA chief met with Russian businessmen, diplomats and leaders of the Filipino community during his visit to Moscow.

He encouraged Russian businessmen to invest in the Philippines in the energy, tourism, public-private partnership, and business process outsourcing sectors.
Posted Image
"Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong -- Dandemis"
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
Ayoshi
Member Avatar


Recto Bank 'not disputed territory,' Aquino tells Taiwan

BAGUIO CITY, Philippines -- President Benigno Aquino III said the government will push through with planned oil explorations in Recto Bank (Reed Bank) as he reminded Taiwan the area is not part of disputed territory in the Kalayaan Island Group, also known as the Spratly Islands.

“The exploration has been ongoing even before I assumed office,” Aquino said in a tete-a-tete with the media Sunday evening.

He said Taiwan’s protest was probably anchored on China’s 9-dash line theory that lays claim to the entire South China Sea, which Manila calls the West Philippine Sea, including areas within the Philippines’ 200-nautical mile exclusive economic zone, such as Recto Bank.

“Recto Bank is not part of the Kalayaan Island Group. Recto Bank became a point of contention only after the 2009 publication of China’s 9-dash theory,” Aquino stressed.

Aquino maintained peaceful resolution is still the best way to address conflicting claims in the West Philippine Sea.

Aside from the Philippines and Taiwan, other countries that claim all or part of the Spratlys are Vietnam, Brunei, China and Malaysia.

All claimants except Brunei have a military presence in the disputed territories, which are believed to lie on top of large oil reserves.

SOURCE
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
seWer Rat
Member Avatar
amateur sewer cleaner

PPA, PN to build beaching ramp in Kalayaan Island

Tuesday, March 20. 2012


http://www.zambotimes.com/archives/45170-P...aan-Island.html

MANILA — The mayor of the Philippines' most westward municipality announced that Kalayaan, one of the nine islands composing the country's foothold in the Spratlys Chain, will soon have a beaching ramp constructed near its shoreline, aiding the further development and growth of the municipality.

Kalayaan Mayor Eugenio Biton-onon said the beaching ramp will be constructed by the Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) with the support of the Philippine Navy (PN).

He declined to give specifics and costs about the beaching ramp, which is expected to be completed by 2012, saved that it will allow roll-on/roll-off (RORO) ships to unload their cargoes directly at Kalayaan, sparing residents the difficult task of hauling their basic necessities from the transporting "banca" to the shore.
To avoid criticism, write nothing, say nothing, do nothing, BE NOTHING.
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
Ayoshi
Member Avatar


Gov’t to build beaching ramp on Pag-asa island

MANILA, Philippines—The government plans to build a beaching ramp on the Pag-asa Island in the contested Spratlys in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea).
Mayor Eugenio Biton-onon of the municipality of Kalayaan in Palawan, which has jurisdiction over the Pag-asa and other claimed islets in the Spratlys, said the ramp would be constructed by the Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) with the help of the Philippine Navy.

According to the mayor, the beaching ramp will greatly help their community since this will allow “ro-ro” (roll-on roll-off) ships to beach and unload their cargo directly to the island’s shore.

Currently, people and supplies brought in by ships have to be transferred to small bancas while at sea since the ships can not come to shore.

Since these bancas can not beach, the residents again have to haul the supplies and wade in water for several meters to bring the supplies to the shore.

Biton-onon would not say how much the construction would cost and also did not give other specifics.

But he said the beaching ramp would be finished within the year.

Biton-onon said the project should not stoke any diplomatic tension, insisting the ramp would only provide the island’s residents with some convenience in transportation.

He said they might ask the PPA afterwards to construct a modern port on the island.

The Pag-asa Island is the biggest of the group islands and islets claimed by the Philippines (collectively referred to as the Kalayaan group of islands) in the oil-rich Spartlys chain of islands.

The Philippines, Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia and Brunei claim portions of the Spratlys while China claims the entire area.
Pag-asa island has an airstrip which, according to authorities, badly needs rehabilitation.

SOURCE
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · West Philippine Sea · Next Topic »
Locked Topic