Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
The Kalayaan, Panatag & other disputed islands; Future conflict zones?
Topic Started: Feb 2 2005, 08:00 PM (155,995 Views)
spearhead
Member Avatar
DoctorNO, Your Neutral Observer.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Expect china to fight hard for this potential billions of dollar economic boost.

Philippines should protect these 2 areas with all the rights as it is rightly belong to filipinos alone. Let those drilling companies begin!
"Men of War must learn the art of numbers or he will not know how to array his troops." - Plato

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
LadyNightstalker
Trainee
[ *  * ]
I hope we can tap a lot of westerners to invest in drilling up the oil. I don't want to see the bully CHINA beef up all our oil. ;) Maybe we can also ask regional powers like SoKor and Jap. ;)
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
spearhead
Member Avatar
DoctorNO, Your Neutral Observer.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Insight: Conflict looms in South China Sea oil rush

ReutersBy Randy Fabi and Manuel Mogato | Reuters – 9 hours ago


Quote:
 
PUERTO PRINCESA, Philippines (Reuters) - When Lieutenant-General Juancho Sabban received an urgent phone call from an oil company saying two Chinese vessels were threatening to ram their survey ship, the Philippine commander's message was clear: don't move, we will come to the rescue.

Within hours, a Philippine surveillance plane, patrol ships and light attack aircraft arrived in the disputed area of Reed Bank in the South China Sea. By then the Chinese boats had left after chasing away the survey ship, Veritas Voyager, hired by U.K.-based Forum Energy Plc.

But the tension had become so great Forum Energy chief Ray Apostol wanted to halt two months of work in the area.

"They were so close to finishing their work. I told them to stay and finish the job," Sabban, who heads the Western Command of the Philippine Armed Forces, told Reuters at his headquarters in Puerto Princesa on Palawan island.

Over the next few days, President Benigno Aquino would call an emergency cabinet meeting, file a formal protest with China, and send his defense secretary and armed forces chief to the Western Command in a show of strength.

The March 2011 incident is considered a turning point for the Aquino administration. The president hardened his stance on sovereignty rights, sought closer ties with Washington and has quickened efforts to modernize its military.

A year later, Forum Energy is planning to return. Top company executives told Reuters the company intends to sail to Reed Bank within months to drill the area's first well for oil and natural gas in decades, an event that could spark a military crisis for Aquino if China responds more aggressively.

The U.S. military has also signalled its return to the area, with war games scheduled in March with the Philippine navy near Reed Bank that China is bound to view as provocative.

"This will be a litmus test of where China stands on the South China Sea issue," said Ian Storey, a fellow at the Singapore Institute of Southeast Asian Studies. "They could adopt the same tactics as they did last year and harass the drilling vessels, or they might even take a stronger line against them and send in warships."

A decades-old territorial squabble over the South China Sea is entering a new and more contentious chapter, as claimant nations search deeper into disputed waters for energy supplies while building up their navies and military alliances with other nations, particularly with the United States.

Reed Bank, claimed by both China and the Philippines, is just one of several possible flashpoints in the South China Sea that could force Washington to intervene in defense of its Southeast Asian allies.


READ MORE.
"Men of War must learn the art of numbers or he will not know how to array his troops." - Plato

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
icefrog
Member Avatar


This is why armed trainers is the preference. We need those ASAP for scrambling purposes.

Some air-worthy donated F5s to boot on interim-basis.
Sign up for the Philippines' first E-wallet via this referral and get PHP 24.00 as a gift credited to your account:
https://coins.ph/invite/gphUpV
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
Ayoshi
Member Avatar


Beijing Resents Manila's Oil Exploration

By ROY C. MABASA
February 29, 2012, 11:01pm
MANILA, Philippines — Beijing has expressed disapproval of Manila's decision to proceed with plans to offer foreign investors 15 offshore blocks for oil and gas exploration that possibly include two areas near Palawan that China has said are part of its sovereign territory.

Reaffirming China's indisputable sovereignty over the Nansha Islands (Chinese name for the South China Sea) and its adjacent waters, Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei stressed in a regular news briefing in Beijing that it is unlawful for any country or company to explore oil and gas in sea areas under Chinese jurisdiction without the permission of the Chinese government.

Hong issued the protest following the announcement made by Energy Secretary Jose Almendras on the sidelines of the First European Union-Philippines Energy Meeting on Monday that the Philippine government hopes to award contracts to the winning bidders within March.

Almendras further said companies are allowed to submit pre-qualification documents until the middle of the week. It was not clear, however, whether the oil exploration permits would include Area 3 and Area 4 in Reed Bank. Both areas, located about 80 kilometers to the north-west of Palawan, are being contested by China and the Philippines.

Hong urged relevant countries to adhere to the spirit of the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea and refrain from taking moves that will complicate or aggravate the dispute, and make due efforts for the peace and stability of the South China Sea. Aside from the Philippines and China, Vietnam, Malaysia, and Brunei claim sovereignty over some areas in the South China Sea, which are rich in natural resources.

SOURCE
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
Santi Kampilan
Member Avatar
Member
[ *  *  * ]
It is amazing how China concocted the "dotted line scam" to legitimize its claim to our EEZ and steal our resources right in front of the whole world to see.

It is for that reason that we need to do the following:

1) Allow the 3,300 US Marines from Okinawa to be stationed (within the bounds of VFA) in Ulugan Bay.
2) Bring in the F-16's or Mirage 2000-9's.
3) Bring in the AMX's, T-50's/ F/A 50's or other trainers.
4) Bring in the Maestrale/soldati's, Descubierta's, Minervas's asap. Hot transfer if possible.
5) Do as many exercises as much as possible with the US
6) Buy some F-5's asap until some air assets come like the AMX's or F-16's.
7) Station the LCS's of the US navy in the Ulugan Bay.
8) China will to continue to threaten us but we should continue to sell the drilling rights to our EEZ. This way it will hasten the arrival of the ready war materiel and the US Marines, Littoral Combat Ships, F-16's.
For all you know, their bullying will piss off the Americans and give us more ready war materiel such as F-18's, jet trainers and OHP's.

These Chicoms are not our bosses for they do not have rights to our continental shelves. It is just up to us if we will heed to their creeping invasion!
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
Santi Kampilan
Member Avatar
Member
[ *  *  * ]
This threat might be just a bluff. What difference does it make? We are already in Malampaya fields. This Malampaya area straddles their "dotted line scam". How come they are not making a fuzz about it? Area 3 and 4 are no different. Maybe this time around they won't allow us to sell the rights because they will loose credibility in its claim. Nevertheless we should be ready. Remember now, these are communists. They are heartless and God-less. Let us not be tricked by their creeping invasion. :nono:
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
THE_NEWS_MAN
Member
[ *  *  * ]
^^ yes it might be a bluff,but what if it isnt??? USA cant deploy that much man power here in PHILIPPINES lawssssssssss kuno.we should not depend with the desition of US.we should check out our own back yard like the INDIANS.INDIA and CHINA has a argument on there borders that resently that a Chinese Ambassador Insulted INDIA about there boarder problems.USA owns CHINA trillions and they are loaning every single day worth 8 billion dollars(not sure if the amount is correct).Good side of this story though that the US congress just approve an additional 25 or 50 million for us(read the article it might stay that amount ,but also can increase or decrease anytime). just wish our congress has more brain cell that they can see that we need to increase our AFP budget atleast 2 billion yearly and hopefully UNCLE SAM would be nice enuff to sell us there OLD stuff ,but quality wise its a good deal rather than nothing. UNCLE MAO is ratling every single country here in ASIA expt SINGAPORE I think.we should line up new allys Like JAPAN VIETNAM and INDO go join there programs like the FX of korea even just put 200 million so we can secure a 5 gen jet.(+freebies).in other hand JAPAN can help us building a warship that can be called a warship using our cheap labor well traind welders and the man power and build a sub factory here in philippines WINWIN situation to every body.expt for CHINA this country is getting really aggressive because they got the cash and the man power even though they are using Old copy soviet weapons ,but surely that old soviet weapons are tested and CHINA can copy them in a blink of an eye because they got to much factories.
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
fernandez705
Member
[ *  *  * ]
as for allowing us forces in the Philippines they need to rent yearly because they are using our resources, we use the rent money that we get to procure more advance equipment and the yearly million dollar money we get from america can be used to procure equipment.
as for the recto bank (which belongs to ours via by the EEZ law) 30 trillion cubic feet of oil may be worth 13.5 trillion dollars (in my calculations, pls correct me if im wrong).
allowing other countries to invest in our oil will suppress chinas aggression towards us.
we should encourage other countries to build weapons in our country because of cheap but highly skilled workforce this gives us experience which may lead into self reliance projects.
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
spearhead
Member Avatar
DoctorNO, Your Neutral Observer.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bluff or not, it's better be safe than sorry.
"Men of War must learn the art of numbers or he will not know how to array his troops." - Plato

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · West Philippine Sea · Next Topic »
Locked Topic