| Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
- Pages:
- 1
- 2
| STINGRAY; Navy's Counter-terrosim task force | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Oct 19 2004, 04:05 PM (1,587 Views) | |
| flipzi | Oct 19 2004, 04:05 PM Post #1 |
|
R-A-T-S
![]()
|
http://philstar.com/philstar/NEWS200410190403.htm Navy deploys anti-terror patrols The Philippine Star 10/19/2004 The Philippine Navy deployed yesterday an anti-terrorist task force to patrol resort islands as well as strongholds of al-Qaeda-linked Muslim extremists, officials said. Dubbed "Stingray," the force consists of a US-built patrol boat, two 24-meter (78-foot) gunboats, a small airplane commonly used in searches and two Navy teams. The patrol will provide visibility for anti-terror efforts, and would be able to react quickly to any attack, Navy spokesman Capt. Geronimo Malabanan said. "Stingray serves as the Navy’s anti-kidnapping and counterterrorist force that covers the waters of the entire archipelago, wherever a terrorist threat from the sea may be imminent," Malabanan said. Its deployment came after officials announced last week that the al-Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf group was behind an explosion in February that killed more than 100 people on board a ferry in the country’s worst terrorist attack. Security of ships and shipping lanes from terrorists and pirates, as well as natural disasters and accidents, has been a huge concern in the archipelago nation. It will be deployed in western Mindanao, near the Abu Sayyaf’s stronghold, as well as around Cebu and Palawan islands, the country’s main tourist destinations, Malabanan said. "Naval intelligence networks have been established and strengthened across the country to support the national campaign to put an end to terrorism, both foreign and domestic," the navy chief, Vice Adm. Ernesto de Leon, said in a statement. The task force was created in 2001 but the ships had to undergo repairs. De Leon earlier said that the key tourist destinations in Palawan, Boracay in Aklan and Dakak Resort in Dipolog City are the main areas which the task force will be watching. "Its operation first seeks to deter criminal activities through its presence and high visibility in identifiable possible threat areas. The rapid counter-action aspect... is the effective pursuit, apprehension and neutralization of the enemy if any untoward incident perpetrated by terrorists occurs," he said. De Leon said with the Cyclone Class warship, the Navy can at least match the high speed mobility of the Abu Sayyaf bandits who use speedboats in their acts of brigandage. Under the command of Commander Romeo Nebres of the Philippine Military Academy Class ’82, Stingray’s 200-man complement include the Navy’s elite units. Nebres’ wife Mary Ann, who is seven months pregnant, and their two children saw the Stingray commander off at the Navy headquarters along Roxas Boulevard in Manila. Meanwhile, Defense Secretary Avelino Cruz bared yesterday a five-year modernization plan for the Navy, saying that by 2010, the department would have purchased 15 units of 78-foot patrol boats, 30 units of 11-meter fast attack gunboats and two units of landing ships. Tourism Secretary Joseph Ace Durano, who was also at the sendoff yesterday, lauded the Navy for the launching of Stingray, saying it would help boost the country’s tourism industry. — Jaime Laude ================================================== GO SWAGs !!! HUNT THEM ALL DOWN :thumb: :thumb: |
![]() " Sovereignty resides in the people and all government authority emanates from them! - Art. II Sec 1, Philippine Constitution " " People don't care what we know until they know we care. " getflipzi@yahoo.com | |
![]() |
|
| ColdDeadFish | Oct 19 2004, 05:00 PM Post #2 |
|
Major
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Hey flipzi, why don't you start a SWAG thread or site?
|
| |
![]() |
|
| Numbers | Oct 19 2004, 06:00 PM Post #3 |
|
PDFF Moderator
![]()
|
Ya, the SWAGs and the PMC Force Recon are the less talked about spec ops units here. :aberet: |
|
One little two little three little four little... Behind every successful man, there is a woman And behind every unsuccessful man, there are two. A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.... | |
![]() |
|
| flipzi | Oct 20 2004, 08:38 AM Post #4 |
|
R-A-T-S
![]()
|
GOOD NEWS! nasa drawing stage na. i'll be needing your help a lot in collecting photos of them. Philippine Special Operations Forces and title. :thumb: :thumb: Lahat na. SWAG MSS MFR SF SR SAF JSOG ABB...? hehehe |
![]() " Sovereignty resides in the people and all government authority emanates from them! - Art. II Sec 1, Philippine Constitution " " People don't care what we know until they know we care. " getflipzi@yahoo.com | |
![]() |
|
| ColdDeadFish | Oct 21 2004, 04:15 PM Post #5 |
|
Major
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Ayan ka na naman, mapapagbintangan ka na namang leftist symphatizer just like in PASR, cge ka! |
| |
![]() |
|
| flipzi | Oct 21 2004, 04:24 PM Post #6 |
|
R-A-T-S
![]()
|
hehehe mahirap masyado serious at baka seryosohin din tayo ng mga tinatamaan ng usapin natin. ive learned my lesson... ...and they've learned theirs as well. that's part of learning , i guess. ![]() :thumb: |
![]() " Sovereignty resides in the people and all government authority emanates from them! - Art. II Sec 1, Philippine Constitution " " People don't care what we know until they know we care. " getflipzi@yahoo.com | |
![]() |
|
| flipzi | Oct 25 2004, 02:26 PM Post #7 |
|
R-A-T-S
![]()
|
DUDES, if you have any photos of the Stingray team, please post them here or just tell us the link. thanks.
|
![]() " Sovereignty resides in the people and all government authority emanates from them! - Art. II Sec 1, Philippine Constitution " " People don't care what we know until they know we care. " getflipzi@yahoo.com | |
![]() |
|
| flipzi | Jan 26 2005, 01:42 PM Post #8 |
|
R-A-T-S
![]()
|
Navy seizes P7-M worth of illegal logs in Cebu Posted 12:18pm (Mla time) Jan 26, 2005 INQ7.net Get INQ7 breaking news on your Smart mobile phone in the Philippines. Send INQ7 BREAKING to 386. THE PHILIPPINE Navy seized seven million pesos worth of illegal logs from a cargo vessel in Cebu City, its spokesman captain Geronimo Malabanan said Wednesday. Operatives of Task Force Stingray on board BRP Salvador Abcede intercepted MV Condor, loaded with 200,000 board feet of Lawaan lumber late Monday, Malabanan said. "The operation came after Navy intelligence operatives received reports that a Cebu-bound vessel from Davao was transporting illegal logs," Malabanan said. The logs will be turned over to Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR). They are temporarily under the custody of Naval Task Force 51 based in Cebu City, he said. MV Condor is owned and operated by the Goodwill Shipping Corp., he said. The government intensified efforts against illegal logging after flashfloods left over a thousand people dead or missing in Eastern Luzon in late 2004. Denuded forests were blamed for the floods. ==================================================== Why did they not confiscate the boat also? The President's directive was clear. NO TRANSPORTING OF LOGS. If that aint part of the law yet then lawmakers must stipulate the seizure of the boat and teh filing of charges against the boat owners as well. That is one of the loopholes of in the existing law. How will the boat owners or even trucking companies resist their clients when the deal involves a great amount of money. No matter if the cargo is illegal or not, it will still provide them a good profit. BTW, Good job, STINGRAY ! :thumb: :thumb: |
![]() " Sovereignty resides in the people and all government authority emanates from them! - Art. II Sec 1, Philippine Constitution " " People don't care what we know until they know we care. " getflipzi@yahoo.com | |
![]() |
|
| Numbers | Jan 26 2005, 05:39 PM Post #9 |
|
PDFF Moderator
![]()
|
Not only antiterror but also anti illegal logging...god job Stingray :thumb: But the trees should not have been cut in the first place...where is our newly-minted anti illegal logging czar? |
|
One little two little three little four little... Behind every successful man, there is a woman And behind every unsuccessful man, there are two. A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.... | |
![]() |
|
| flipzi | Jan 27 2005, 09:15 AM Post #10 |
|
R-A-T-S
![]()
|
That should be the main case here. The DENR should do more. We have to consider that the owners of logging concessions have reached the Senate and Congress. These lawmakers are seeminlgly bragging that they are above the AFP and the different govt offices.... and that they can do anything they want... no matter if it is right or not. Even the late former House Speaker Ramon Mitra was identified as among the top loggers then in Aurora. Current House Speaker Jose de Venecia admitted he had an interest in these logging concessions... and so is Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile. Nonetheless, the AFP can do more if they want to. They have the strength and the weapons to fight for what is right. Anyway, the lawmakers wont stay there long anyway. STOP THE CUTTING OF TREES. So what if they are lawmakers? Noone is above the law. If the majority of the lawmakers will dare to trample upon the public's interest just to protect their greed... .. then let's remind them what a barrage of artillery fire and bullets can do to them. There'll be less chances of culprits bribing goverment men just to secure the smooth transport of these logs ..... when there'll be no log no transport in the first place. The AFP should intensify its effort in protecting our forests. What's the use in seizing the logs anyway, when forest lands that can now erode at anytime and endanger the lives of the communities downhill, have been stripped of trees already? Masabat mo man yung kahoy eh.... para anu pa?... Kalbo na rin gubat at delikado na rin sa flashfloods at erosion. If the DENR officials believe that merely reforesting the forest will solve the problem, .. they are wrong! Much of Aurora's and Quezon's forest cover are secondary growth forest already. The primary tress, the centuries-old Lawaan trees had been cut already. Even if you plant these young trees, they will not be as affective as the old-aged trees that have rooted much deeper, which gave the soil a much more stable hold. That's one of the reasons why even the Aurora mountains, which still have a good cover of secondary-growth forests, arent safe from erosions including flashfloods. The death toll in the last flashfloods that hit Aurora and Quezon are even worse than the result of the skirmishes between the Moro rebels and the military. The loggers are well-armed that's why the AFP needs to come to the environmentalist's rescue as well. That's what the AFP must think about. |
![]() " Sovereignty resides in the people and all government authority emanates from them! - Art. II Sec 1, Philippine Constitution " " People don't care what we know until they know we care. " getflipzi@yahoo.com | |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| Go to Next Page | |
| « Previous Topic · Philippine Navy · Next Topic » |
- Pages:
- 1
- 2










![]](http://z1.ifrm.com/static/1/pip_r.png)


8:44 AM Jul 11