Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
China tightening grip on Spratlys; merge threads, updates
Topic Started: Jun 25 2012, 06:46 PM (30,290 Views)
Ayoshi
Member Avatar


China reclamation projects a blatant disregard of DOC – Phl [abs-cbnnews]
6/07/2014
Quote:
 
In a text message, Department of National Defense (DND) spokesman Peter Galvez said yesterday the reclamation in Calderon (Cuarteron) and Gaven reefs goes against the Declaration on the Code of Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea (DOC).

“It‘s a serious concern and a blatant disregard of the DOC,” he said. “This will cause further deterioration of the fragile balance of peace and stability in the region.”

<snipped>

A security official, who asked not to be named as he is barred from discussing the matter with media, said China is building a “maritime wall” around the Spratlys.

“It is aimed at constricting air and naval activities of other claimant countries in the future,” the security official said.

China is apparently conducting reclamation projects in Gaven and Cuarteron reefs as President Aquino announced this week.

It has already transformed Subi Reef into a heavily fortified forward naval outpost.

Using the reef is a huge Chinese naval transport ship carrying a battalion of marines and tanks on board.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Ayoshi
Member Avatar


China tells PH off on reef reclamation, says ‘it’s none of your business’ [inquirer.net]
June 8th, 2014
Quote:
 
In a press conference in Beijing on Friday, Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Hong Lei insisted that China had “indisputable sovereignty” over the Spratly Islands, including parts of the archipelago within the Philippines’ 370-kilometer Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) known to Filipinos as West Philippine Sea.

“China exercises indisputable sovereignty on the Nansha (Spratly) Islands and the adjacent waters,” Hong said, according to a post on the foreign ministry website.

Any action taken by China on any island falls within China’s sovereignty and has nothing to do with the Philippines,” he said.

<snipped>

New activities

Philippine officials earlier this week expressed concern over new Chinese movements in territories within the Philippines’ EEZ, including suspected land reclamation at Gavin Reefs and Calderon Reef (Cuarteron Reef) and, most recently, confirmed sightings of reclamation on Malvar Reef.

Malvar Reef is located northeast of Mabini Reef (Johnson South Reef), where China has been discovered to have been reclaiming land that the Philippine government fears could be used to build an airstrip or an offshore military base.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hong Nam
Member Avatar
Bought by China

ayoshi
Jun 8 2014, 03:03 AM
China tells PH off on reef reclamation, says ‘it’s none of your business’ [inquirer.net]
June 8th, 2014

"It is a good idea for diplomats to keep their word in small matters. It makes the later complete betrayals more of a surprise."
- John Barnes



Two or more can play the game. What's taking you so long to make your move?





Posted Image
Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90



Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hong Nam
Member Avatar
Bought by China

Photos confirm China reclamation; experts hit reef degradation in Spratly
By Nikko Dizon
Philippine Daily Inquirer
Saturday, June 7th, 2014


Posted Image
'EARTHMOVING ACTIVITIES' - A backhoe attached to a Chinese vessel is apparently scooping up some filling materials in a reclamation project while at the same time harvesting endangered species, giant clams. PHOTO COURTESY OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE PHILIPPINES


The military has taken photographs of China's ongoing reclamation activity on Malvar Reef in February, with the pictures showing a backhoe attached to a Chinese vessel that, scientists said, was presumably used to gather filling materials and harvest giant clams.

On Thursday, President Benigno Aquino III said Chinese ships had been monitored moving around other reefs in the West Philippine Sea, possibly to reclaim land in Gavin Reef (Gaven Reef) and Calderon Reef (Cuarteron Reef).

Defense spokesperson Peter Galvez confirmed that China had reclaimed land on Malvar Reef (Eldad Reef), which lies northeast of Mabini Reef (Johnson South Reef), where China had previously reclaimed land.


Inquirer


Posted Image
Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90



Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hong Nam
Member Avatar
Bought by China

Posted Image
Tizard Bank with Malvar Reef (Eldad Reef) on the right, shaped like the "number 7". Gavin Reef (Gaven reef) on the left.



Posted Image
Malvar Reef (Eldad Reef)

Approximately:
33 kilometers E from Itu Aba Island (Taiwanese controlled)
21 kilometers E from Sand Cay (Vietnamese controlled)

and

44 kilometers SE from Kota Island (Loaita Island) and Panata Island (Lankiam Cay)
90 kilometers SE from Pagasa Island (Thitu Island)
66 kilometers SW from Balagtas Reef (Irving Reef)



Posted Image




Edited by Hong Nam, Jun 9 2014, 11:35 PM.

Posted Image
Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90



Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hong Nam
Member Avatar
Bought by China

ayoshi
Jun 8 2014, 03:03 AM
China tells PH off on reef reclamation, says ‘it’s none of your business’ [inquirer.net]
June 8th, 2014
Quote:
 

“China exercises indisputable sovereignty on the Nansha (Spratly) Islands and the adjacent waters,” Hong said, according to a post on the foreign ministry website.

Any action taken by China on any island falls within China’s sovereignty and has nothing to do with the Philippines,” he said.

PHL rebuffs China on West Philippine Sea comments
By MICHAELA DEL CALLAR
June 9, 2014


"Anything that impinges upon our sovereignty or territories that we claim is our business. Anything that affects our ability to exercise our sovereign rights and jurisdiction over maritime areas that we claim is our business. Anything that upsets the peace and stability of the region is our business. Anything that raises tensions in the area is our business."

- Charles Jose, Foreign Affairs spokesman


GMA



Edited by Hong Nam, Jun 9 2014, 11:10 PM.

Posted Image
Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90



Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
saver111
Member Avatar
PDFF Moderator
PDFF Mod Group
Posted Image

Retired policeman Abner Afuang burns a Chinese flag during a protest in front of the National Press Club building in Manila on Monday. The government said it was investigating signs that China was reclaiming land on a disputed reef in the West Philippine Sea but stressed it would not be provoked into a rash response. Photo: ABS-CBN News,06/09/2014 10:03 PM
Posted Image

Justice for Daniel Lorenz Jacinto

HELP END PIRACY NOW!:
http://www.itfseafarers.org/petition.cfm
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hong Nam
Member Avatar
Bought by China

Philippines calls for construction freeze in South China Sea
Reuters - 16 hours ago


MANILA (Reuters) - The Philippines said on Monday that China's "expansion agenda" in the disputed South China Sea threatened security and stability in the region, calling on all claimant states to halt construction activities that may raise tensions.

"Let's call for a moratorium in terms of activities that escalate tension. Now, let's do that while we work on an expeditious conclusion of the code of conduct and effective implementation. They're accelerating their expansion agenda for the following reasons... one is they want to do this before the conclusion of the code of conduct. They're also trying to do this very quickly in anticipation of the handing down of the tribunal award."

- Albert del Rosario, Foreign Affairs Secretary

Del Rosario said China and other claimant states have been rushing construction activities in their respective claimed territories to expand, citing works in Fiery Cross Reef, Johnson South Reef, Gaven Reef, and Cuarteron Reef.



Reuters / Yahoo

Edited by Hong Nam, Jun 17 2014, 11:11 AM.

Posted Image
Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90



Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hong Nam
Member Avatar
Bought by China

Quote:
 

Philippines against South China Sea construction
China builds island school as Philippines proposes ban on construction in South China Sea
By Louise Watt
Associated Press - 10 hours ago


BEIJING (AP) - China rejected a suggestion by the Philippines on Monday for a regionwide ban on construction in the South China Sea after Beijing began building a school on a rugged outpost it created to strengthen its claims to disputed waters.

Philippine Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said he will propose that the Association of Southeast Asian Nations call for such a moratorium.

"I think we would use the international community to step up and to say that we need to manage the tensions in the South China Sea before it gets out of hand."
- Albert del Rosario
In response, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told reporters that the Philippines was making "irresponsible remarks." She said China was committed to resolving issues with countries on a bilateral basis, and that island disputes between China and the Philippines were not an issue for ASEAN.

"The Philippines has been taking provocative actions to escalate tensions on the one hand, and making irresponsible remarks about what China has legitimately done within her sovereign rights on the other. That is totally unjustifiable."


- Hua Chunying
Hua said the Philippines was constructing its own facilities in the Spratlys, an island chain which is claimed by both countries, having announced plans to upgrade a runway and naval facilities and build an airport.




AP / Yahoo


An existing DOC - Trashed by China. Reclamation works continue.
Proposing a moratorium - Everyone knows this will be broken by China.

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock." - Will Rogers
It's time improve your facilities there. China is "accelerating" their construction efforts - while yours are not only in hibernation, but are degrading at a steady pace.


Edited by Hong Nam, Jun 17 2014, 11:15 AM.

Posted Image
Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90



Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
gammy322
Member Avatar
Member
[ *  *  * ]

China demands Philippines’ withdrawal from Spratly June 17, 2014 (updated)


China has demanded that the Philippines withdraw all its facilities and personnel in Spratly islands (Nansha islands) in response to the latter’s call for a moratorium on all land formation activities in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea).

In a statement, Chinese Foreign Minister Hua Chunying said that “Since the 1970s, the Philippines has illegally and forcefully occupied parts of China’s Nansha Islands including the Zhongye Island, in violation of the UN Charter and principles of international law.”



http://www.mb.com.ph/china-demands-philippines-to-withdraw-from-spratly/
Edited by Mckoyzzz, Jun 18 2014, 04:32 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · West Philippine Sea · Next Topic »
Add Reply