| Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| PHL police arrest Chinese fishermen amid territorial dispute | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: May 7 2014, 02:11 PM (6,111 Views) | |
| Hong Nam | Jul 8 2014, 02:14 PM Post #41 |
|
Bought by China
![]()
|
How Chinese fishermen became pawns in Asia's maritime great game Christian Science Monitor By Peter Ford 16 hours ago Two months after being arrested on the open seas west of here for poaching endangered sea-turtles, Chinese fishing Capt. Chen and his crew are stuck in legal limbo, with no trial date in sight. If found guilty, they could face 20-year jail sentences. For now, they are helpless pawns in a growing territorial dispute between China and the Philippines. Chen and his eight colleagues cannot be tried without a defense lawyer. No public defender can represent them without a "certificate of indigence" from the Chinese embassy in Manila on behalf of its citizens. And the embassy has so far refused to issue that document. Embassy spokesman Zhang Hua would not explain why. But Chinese officials have said the Philippines court has no right to try the fishermen since they were detained in what Beijing considers to be Chinese territorial waters, 60 miles off the Philippines coast and some 650 miles from the nearest Chinese land. And that leaves Capt. Chen washed up on a foreign shore with no place to go. "The embassy does not want to be involved in the judicial process," says Chen, speaking at the jail. "They have not helped us at all." The fishermen need a Chinese-speaking interpreter before a trial can start. But when Chinese consul Duan Qiang "told the fishermen not to cooperate with us," says provincial prosecutor Allen Rodriguez, it became clear that Beijing was seeking to impede the case. ILLICIT RENDEZVOUS Philippines police believe that ship captain Chen was indeed buying turtles from local fishermen; they had followed a Filipino boat to its rendezvous with the Qiongqiong Hai 09063 on a tipoff and arrested five Filipinos in the operation. But no nets or other fishing gear was found on board the Chinese boat, according to the inventory, while a large drum of formalin was seized, suggesting that Chen was illegally trading in turtles. "The Chinese fishermen were not engaged in actual fishing activities but the law prohibits possession of rare, threatened or endangered species as well as poaching in Filipino waters," says prosecutor Rodriguez. Meanwhile, in the Palawan provincial jail, the imprisoned Chinese fishermen "just sleep and eat and sit around," says Chen, as they wait for their fate to be decided. Rodriguez says he too is patient. "The maximum penalty for the charges they face is 20 years. If this case hibernates, then they will be free in 20 years." Christian Science Monitor / Yahoo Edited by Hong Nam, Jul 8 2014, 02:14 PM.
|
![]() Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90 | |
![]() |
|
| Hong Nam | Sep 4 2014, 04:07 PM Post #42 |
|
Bought by China
![]()
|
Prosecutor sees no presidential pardon for Chinese poachers by Samuel Biag - 4/09/2014 Palawan chief prosecutor Alen Rodriguez said he sees no presidential pardon for 9 Chinese poachers, caught with live and dead sea turtles, in case they are convicted for poaching and possession of endangered species. It is expected that these poachers will be jailed for 12 to 20. "In the past, during the time of President Arroyo, she issued pardon to some Chinese fishermen and were allowed to go home. But under the Aquino administration, I have not heard of such incident at the moment. There is overwhelming evidence and we can just not turn the other way and let them leave. I am confident we will get the conviction." - Alen Rodriguez, Palawan chief prosecutor Angmalaya Edited by Hong Nam, Sep 4 2014, 04:09 PM.
|
![]() Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90 | |
![]() |
|
| ganymede09 | Sep 5 2014, 11:00 AM Post #43 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
|
| LET'S RAISE OUR MIDDLE FINGERs TO THE MIDDLE KINGDOM. | |
![]() |
|
| gammy322 | Nov 24 2014, 09:07 PM Post #44 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
NO JAIL TERM!!!! @*~#! ------------------------------- ............Philippine court convicts 9 Chinese of poaching Associated Press – 6 hours ago....Share 70Tweet0Share0Print......MANILA, Philippines (AP) — A Philippine court convicted nine Chinese fishermen Monday of poaching and taking hundreds of endangered giant sea turtles from a disputed shoal in the South China Sea, fining each of them nearly $103,000 but imposing no jail term. The fishermen were arrested in May at Half Moon Shoal and their boat and catch of 555 endangered sea turtles were seized. The arrests sparked another spat between the Asian neighbors in the increasingly volatile South China Sea. Judge Ambrosio de Luna of the regional trial court in western Palawan province found them guilty of violating the country's fisheries code, ordering them to pay a fine of $100,000 each for poaching in Philippine waters plus 120,000 pesos ($2,666) each for taking wildlife, said Attorney Hazel Alaska, the clerk of court. https://ph.news.yahoo.com/philippine-court-convicts-9-chinese-poaching-053301712.html |
![]() |
|
| Hong Nam | Nov 25 2014, 11:07 AM Post #45 |
|
Bought by China
![]()
|
Philippines fines Chinese fishermen $102,000 each for poaching PUERTO PRINCESA, Philippines Mon Nov 24, 2014 After three months of trial, Judge Ambrosio de Luna found the fishermen guilty of poaching in Philippine waters and of illegal possession of endangered green sea turtles. It was not immediately clear how the fishermen would find the funds to pay the fines, but they face six months' jail if they fail to pay up, time already served, suggesting they could even be released. "We're merely imposing our laws," Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario told reporters. "We tried to look for ways to be lenient. I think they will credit whatever time has been served already." Reuters |
![]() Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90 | |
![]() |
|
| Hong Nam | Nov 26 2014, 10:40 AM Post #46 |
|
Bought by China
![]()
|
The usual rhetoric... rinse and repeat and so on. |
![]() Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90 | |
![]() |
|
| Hong Nam | Nov 28 2014, 12:09 AM Post #47 |
|
Bought by China
![]()
|
PHL: China must respect court decision Philippine Foreign Affairs chief Albert del Rosario rejects call of Chinese government to release without any condition nine convicted Chinese poachers. “We must respect the decision of the court,” del Rosario said. “The penalties imposed on the nine Chinese fishermen were a decision of the judiciary, a separate but equal branch of the Philippine government.” Ang Malaya |
![]() Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90 | |
![]() |
|
| Hong Nam | Nov 28 2014, 12:13 AM Post #48 |
|
Bought by China
![]()
|
Office of the President: Chinese poachers no prison time, good for deportation Office of the President said today, November 27 that nine Chinese poachers may go home to China through deportation after paying fine of USD100,000 for poaching and USD2,600 for violating the Wildlife Resource Conservation Act each. Presidential Communications Operations Secretary Sonny Coloma said Chinese Embassy does not need to demand unconditional release from Philippine government. "According to the Department of Justice, through Prosecutor General Claro Arellano, they have already served the penalty of subsidiary imprisonment for the offense of poaching and for the possession of endangered species. The court imposed a penalty of payment of fines. Upon payment of the fines, they are deemed to have served the penalty fully, and there is no further impediment for them to leave the country." - Sonny Coloma, Presidential Communications Operations Secretary Ang Malaya Edited by Hong Nam, Nov 28 2014, 12:14 AM.
|
![]() Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90 | |
![]() |
|
| Hong Nam | Nov 28 2014, 10:18 AM Post #49 |
|
Bought by China
![]()
|
PH won't free convicted Chinese fishermen Agence France-Presse Nov 28, 2014 ![]() President Benigno Aquino III's spokesman Herminio Coloma said the nine, who were convicted on Monday for catching endangered sea turtles, merely have to pay a fine in order to walk free. Filipino police said they found hundreds of sea turtles – a protected species – on board the fishermen's vessel when they arrested the group in May at Half Moon Shoal, located in a part of the sea claimed by both countries. Rappler Edited by Hong Nam, Nov 28 2014, 10:20 AM.
|
![]() Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90 | |
![]() |
|
| gammy322 | Jun 9 2015, 05:44 PM Post #50 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
so so sad on this news.... -------------------------- Philippine court orders 9 jailed Chinese fishermen freed by AP June 9, 2015 (updated) Share0 Tweet0 Share0 Email0 Share0 A Philippine court has ordered the release of nine Chinese fishermen who served a year in prison for poaching and taking hundreds of endangered giant sea turtles from a disputed South China Sea shoal, a court staffer said Tuesday. Judge Ambrosio de Luna of the regional trial court in western Palawan province issued the order after the fishermen’s lawyer moved for their release, acting clerk of court Lourdes Dadule said. In his order Monday, De Luna gave instructions to jail officials to release the fishermen to the immigration bureau because all have served their prison sentence of 6 months for each of the two crimes and the prosecution did not object. Dadule said the motion filed by the fishermen’s lawyer was required despite the men serving out their sentence. She said it will be up to the immigration bureau to arrange for the fishermen’s deportation. Read more at http://www.mb.com.ph/philippine-court-orders-9-jailed-chinese-fishermen-freed/#tLhu4vsKpJGcI5PJ.99 |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · West Philippine Sea · Next Topic » |










![]](http://z1.ifrm.com/static/1/pip_r.png)

8:43 AM Jul 11