Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
BRP Sierra Madre/Ayungin Shoal; News | Discussions | Updates
Topic Started: May 19 2013, 02:22 AM (16,994 Views)
AZKALS
Member Avatar


Philippines Rusting Grounded Warship Repair Angers China

http://www.marinelink.com/news/philippines-warship394756.aspx

Thursday, July 16, 2015, 4:27 AM

China warned it can take "further actions" after the Philippines confirmed it is fortifying the BRP Sierra Madre, a grounded ship on Ayungin Shoal (Second Thomas Shoal) in the South China Sea.Beijing has hit out at Manila for repairing a crumbling ship serving as its outpost in the disputed South China Sea, branding the Philippines as a "hypocritical troublemaker and rule breaker".The Philippines said Tuesday it would repair the Sierra Madre which is at a shoal also claimed by China. A Reuters report said the Philippines also plans to revive a former US naval base in Subic Bay.The Philippines officially announced that it was repairing a crumbling ship serving as its lonely outpost in the disputed South China Sea as China deploys more vessels and builds new islands nearby.

This would ensure the rust-eaten World War II-vintage BRP Sierra Madre remains livable for a tiny unit of marines guarding Second Thomas Shoal, said Philippine Navy spokesman Col. Edgard Arevalo.The Philippine military deliberately grounded the 100-metre (328-foot) World War II-vintage BRP Sierra Madre atop the Second Thomas Shoal in 1999 in an effort to check the advance of China, which four years earlier occupied Philippine-claimed Mischief Reef some 40 kilometres (25 miles) away."China expresses strong protest and firm opposition to the reinforcement of the warship," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said, reiterating China's sovereignty over the Nansha Islands and surrounding waters.Hua recalled how the Philippine warship illegally landed on the beach of the Ren'ai Reef of China's Nansha Islands in 1999 under the excuse that it had been stranded


Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hong Nam
Member Avatar
Bought by China

Quote:
 

"China strongly protests and firmly opposes such an act. The relevant activity fully exposed the Philippines' hypocrisy and that it is a double dealer. It once again proved that the Philippines is truly a troublemaker and rule breaker in the region."

"China is determined to protect its territorial sovereignty and maritime rights and interests. We again urge the Philippines to immediately stop its illegal infringement activities and live up to its promise by removing the vessel and Beijing reserves the right to take further steps."


- Hua Chunying, Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman




So says the biggest trouble maker of them all...

They've tried blockading the small garrison and they have failed to do so. They have been constantly outsmarted by supply runs from Pagasa Island and can't do anything about it. That is what "pisses them off" the most.

Improve and upgrade everything. It's an active ship of your navy, so you have the right to keep it from disintegrating/sinking. It's not a rock nor a submerged reef that your converting to an island.

I would like to see them make a huge mistake by trying and taking further steps against the BRP Sierra Madre.








Posted Image
Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90



Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hong Nam
Member Avatar
Bought by China

Quote:
 
Philippines Tries to Keep South China Sea Outpost Afloat
The Philippines is doing repair work on a ground ship that hosts a small contingent of Philippine soldiers.

By Shannon Tiezzi
July 16, 2015


The Philippines is now reinforcing the hull and deck of the ship using small fishing boats to slip "cement, steel, cabling, and welding equipment" past watchful Chinese coastguard vessels. Officers who have visited the vessel portrayed the work as merely trying to maintain the ship's current state.

Reported construction on the Sierra Madre sparked controversy last year as well. In 2014, the Philippines complained that Chinese coast guard vessels were blocking routine resupply missions from reaching the Sierra Madre. Manila protested, saying its supply boats were only bringing food, water, and necessary supplies; Beijing retorted that the boats were in fact carrying construction materials. "The two Philippine ships were loaded with concrete and rebar rather than food. Is concrete and rebar edible?" Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Qin Gang asked scathingly on March 13, 2014.

Philippine Foreign Ministry spokesperson Charles Jose declined to comment specifically on the work. But he did say that repairs to the Sierra Madre would not violate the 2002 Declaration of Conduct. "In our view, repairs and maintenance of existing facilities are allowed... especially if such repairs and maintenance work are for the safety of our personnel and safety of navigation," Reuters quoted Jose as saying.


The Diplomat




"The two Philippine ships were loaded with concrete and rebar rather than food. Is concrete and rebar edible?"
- Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Qin Gang

- So asked the country that thinks synthetic eggs and rice are edible. :brrt:




Edited by Hong Nam, Jul 18 2015, 01:42 PM.

Posted Image
Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90



Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hong Nam
Member Avatar
Bought by China


The "never was and has been general" is at it again.

Quote:
 

Retired General Says China Could Reclaim Disputed South China Sea Reef From Philippines 'By Force'
By Duncan Hewitt
July 21 2015


SHANGHAI - In a further sign of rising tension between Beijing and Manila over the South China Sea, China’s official Global Times newspaper has published an article by a retired senior military officer, calling for China to use force if the Philippines does not leave a disputed reef in the region.

Major General Luo Yuan, a leading hawk, said the Philippines had recently been "reinforcing" its presence on an old warship, which has been stranded on the disputed Ren'ai Reef since the 1990s. He said Chinese sovereignty over the disputed area was "beyond all doubt," but Manila "stole the reef" - known in English as Second Thomas Shoal, and in the Philippines as Ayungin Shoal - by deliberately stranding the boat there.

Luo said if Manila, which he called a perpetual "troublemaker in the South China Sea," was unable to remove the ship itself, it could pay China to repair and move it, adding that Beijing would treat the Philippines sailors on board "as refugees and give them humanitarian aid." If, however, Manila declined these "generous offers," Luo said, China "should drive away the ship and reclaim the reef by force," and he said the methods China could use to do so were "beyond the Philippines' imagination."


International Business Times



Think really big and expand your imagination to new boundaries. Prove him a liar and see if China has the methods to go beyond it. :lollol:



Edited by Hong Nam, Jul 21 2015, 11:16 PM.

Posted Image
Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90



Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Andres Boning
Member
[ *  *  * ]
Hope this is true.. :armyskeptic:

United States to Resupply and Send Marines on a grounded Philippine Navy Ship amid China threat
http://www.manilalivewire.com/2015/07/united-states-to-resupply-and-send-marines-on-a-grounded-ships-amid-chinas-threat/ :salute:
Edited by Andres Boning, Jul 26 2015, 06:17 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
airsupremo
Recruit
[ * ]
Andres Boning
Jul 26 2015, 06:13 PM
Hope this is true.. :armyskeptic:

United States to Resupply and Send Marines on a grounded Philippine Navy Ship amid China threat
http://www.manilalivewire.com/2015/07/united-states-to-resupply-and-send-marines-on-a-grounded-ships-amid-chinas-threat/ :salute:


Really? Manila Livewire?


THE STRONGEST PEOPLE ARE NOT THOSE WHO SHOW STRENGTH IN FRONT OF US, BUT THOSE WHO WIN BATTLES WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.


Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
anbu-konoha
Recruit
[ * ]
How about replacing Sierra Madre with the 1940's LST BRP Laguna and BRP Benguet? Are those two not in line for decommissioning with the two SSV from Indonesia as replacement?
Or maybe one in Ayungin and one in Scarborough?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hong Nam
Member Avatar
Bought by China

JUL 6, 2016

China Issues Threat After Philippine Activists Resupply The Sierra Madre In The South China Sea


A Philippine activist group, Kalayaan Atin Ito (KAI), made their third “patriotic voyage” in the South China Sea in less than a year – this time on a resupply protest to a former U.S. naval vessel, the Sierra Madre.

China issued a veiled threat against the Sierra Madre two days after the Sierra Madre protest by KAI. A spokesman from the Chinese Foreign Ministry, Wu Qian, spoke to a reporter from the People’s Daily, China’s official party newspaper. The paper linked potential towing of the Sierra Madre by China to the outcome of the PCA case to be decided on July 12.

Activists remained at the shoal for several hours, provided food, drinks, a live goat, activist t-shirts, and other supplies to the marines, took photos and video, swam, sang the national anthem on the Sierra Madre with the marines, and then returned to Palawan.



Forbes





Posted Image
Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90



Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
icefrog
Member Avatar


Jeez. I wonder what will be their reaction once the tribunal gives their decision next week. I, for one would like the Philippines apply for a new ADIZ that would extend from our current ADIZ in northern Philippines and Taiwan. Extend it throughout the western board upto the coast of Nasugbu Batangas. At the very least upto Subic if that's too much. Of course, presuming we win the case and ADIZ is decided by multiple parties and bit done unilaterally unlike China.
Edited by icefrog, Jul 8 2016, 05:50 PM.
Sign up for the Philippines' first E-wallet via this referral and get PHP 24.00 as a gift credited to your account:
https://coins.ph/invite/gphUpV
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
KhaZix
Recruit
[ * ]
Well the shoal is of a military importance. If the Chinese ever had the slightest opportunity to grab it, they would be able to surveillance our troops movement from aerial flights.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · West Philippine Sea · Next Topic »
Add Reply