Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Philippines-China WPS Dispute
Topic Started: Jul 15 2012, 02:28 PM (105,146 Views)
MSantor
Member Avatar

PDFF Mod Group
Quote:
 
Beijing defies PH court ruling on Chinese poachers

MANILA, Philippines – China refused to acknowledge a Philippine court’s order fining nine Chinese fishermen who were apprehended for poaching within Philippine waters and demanded that they be released unconditionally.

“China has indisputable sovereignty over the Nansha (Spratly) Islands and the adjacent waters. By illegally arresting and detaining Chinese fishing boats and fishermen, and now making the so-called judicial decision, the Philippine side has seriously violated China’s sovereignty and jurisdiction,” Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said in a press conference in China following the court’s decision.

(...SNIPPED)

Read more: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/114891/beijing-defies-ph-court-ruling-on-chinese-poachers/#ixzz3KHldvIu7
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - Henry Ford

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill


"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"- Gen. George S. Patton
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hong Nam
Member Avatar
Bought by China

Hong Nam
Nov 22 2014, 12:01 PM
China building airstrip-capable island on Fiery Cross Reef

James Hardy, London and Sean O'Connor, Indiana - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
20 November 2014


Posted Image
Airbus Defence and Space imagery dated 14 November 2014 shows Chinese land reclamation operations under way at Fiery Cross Reef
in the South China Sea. Multiple operating dredgers provide the ability to generate terrain rapidly. Operating from a harbour area, dredgers deliver
sediment via a network of piping. (© CNES 2014, Distribution Airbus DS / Spot Image / IHS)



IHS Jane's 360

South China Sea disputes take an environmental toll - Adam Minter
PUBLISHED: NOVEMBER 27, 2014


Fiery Cross Reef, a tiny coral dot in the 1.4 million square miles of the South China Sea, wouldn't seem the most obvious or ecologically sound location for a nearly two-mile-long airstrip. But based on satellite images released last week by Jane's Defence Weekly, that’s exactly what China seems to be getting ready to build atop it.

Such construction is unfortunately not unusual in the South China Sea, where nations seeking to enforce their territorial claims have not always spent much time worrying about the environmentally and economically valuable reefs under the waves.

The large-scale reclamation of reefs for military purposes is just the start of the damage. What happens after can oftentimes be much worse. "If 1,000 soldiers are stationed at any one time in a place, they typically cut down vegetation and cause runoff, generate sewage," says Terry Hughes, a marine biologist and director of the Queensland-based Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies.

Draining into the sea, runoff is deadly for coral: In coastal China, where cities also tend to discharge effluent into the ocean, 80 per cent of all coral has died off. In 1980, the amount of coral cover near a large Taiwanese military outpost in the disputed Spratly Islands was 60 to 70 per cent. By 2007 it had declined to 17 per cent, according to the 2013 study, which Hughes led. That sort of damage is likely to grow more common.

Even worse than the direct damage from construction projects is the political deadlock caused by various territorial disputes. The biggest threat to coral is the large-scale use of cyanide and explosives by the region's fishermen. At just one atoll, the number of fishing boats using cyanide and dynamite to kill fish increased nearly eight-fold between 1996 and 2001. By 2001, "virtually everything harvestable had been stripped from the atoll".

Rogue fishermen are the immediate culprits, but a lack of governance and oversight allows them to continue their depredations. While that's no secret to any of the six South China Sea claimants, they're unlikely to agree on where or how to protect coral if they can't agree on boundaries first. Instead individual countries have tried to impose fishing limits unilaterally, which no one else follows. "When it comes time for governance, everyone puts their hand up and that means no one," says Hughes.


Malay Mail





Edited by Hong Nam, Nov 28 2014, 11:51 AM.

Posted Image
Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90



Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hong Nam
Member Avatar
Bought by China


Fiery Cross Reef

Airbus Defence and Space imagery dated 14 November 2014 shows Chinese land reclamation operations under way at Fiery Cross Reef
in the South China Sea. Multiple operating dredgers provide the ability to generate terrain rapidly. Operating from a harbour area, dredgers deliver
sediment via a network of piping.
(© CNES 2014, Distribution Airbus DS / Spot Image / IHS)



Posted Image



Posted Image



Posted Image





Edited by Hong Nam, Nov 28 2014, 12:40 PM.

Posted Image
Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90



Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hong Nam
Member Avatar
Bought by China

China leader vows to protect territorial interests
AFP - 1 hour ago


Chinese President Xi Jinping said in a key foreign policy speech that the rising Asian nation would protect its sovereign territory, the Xinhua news agency reported, as it faces maritime disputes with several neighbours.

"We should firmly uphold China's territorial sovereignty, maritime rights and interests and national unity," Xi told a Communist Party meeting on foreign affairs held on Friday and Saturday, according to excerpts of his speech released by Xinhua on Sunday.

On a more conciliatory note, Xi told officials at the meeting that China sought "peaceful development" and opposed the "wilful use or threat of force".


AFP / Yahoo




Posted Image
Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90



Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hong Nam
Member Avatar
Bought by China

Why China Should Conclude a Code of Conduct with ASEAN

By Thuc D. Pham
December 01, 2014


The diplomatic choreography that China has performed can plausibly be explained as an endeavor to ease the threat perception caused by its assertiveness in territorial and maritime disputes in the East and South China Seas. Unilateral proposals alone, however, are not effective in addressing this threat perception. China needs to back up these initiatives with stronger efforts to conclude the Code of Conduct in the South China Sea as quickly as possible. Why?

A legally binding COC would do much for trust building and crisis management. Benigno Aquino, the President of the Philippines, said in an interview with The Straits Times on November 19 that "if there's a formal Code of Conduct, then probably there would be no need for arbitration." Concluding the COC would show China's commitment to becoming a 'staunch force,' for peace and prosperity in East Asia.

The COC is a multilateral effort. To seriously negotiate and conclude the COC with ASEAN, Beijing not only commits itself to peace and stability in the South China Sea but also shows its support for ASEAN-driven processes aimed at constructing security architectures in the Asia Pacific. While outside powers are attaching greater importance to ASEAN's central role in Asia Pacific, such action by China would surely address the concern that China is trying to establish a new order in the region, with a disregard for ASEAN's role being the first step.

The recent initiatives would be seen as nothing more than Chinese efforts to divert regional attention away from its assertive actions taken in the South China Sea like the massive reclamation on Johnson South Reef - without serious COC negotiations and early completion of the COC. According to Darren Lim in The Strategist, "economic incentives are certainly a good way to begin a political realignment, but they're rarely enough to conclude one. An essential ingredient is lacking - security."

With all of this in mind, it's easy to see that completing the ASEAN-China COC for the South China Sea should be a priority in Beijing.


The Diplomat






Posted Image
Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90



Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
MSantor
Member Avatar

PDFF Mod Group
As usual... :armyroleyes:

Reuters


Quote:
 
China denounces Philippine 'pressure' over sea dispute arbitration

By Adam Rose and Ben Blanchard

BEIJING (Reuters) - China denounced the Philippines on Sunday for putting it under pressure with an international arbitration case over disputed waters, and refused again to participate a week ahead of a deadline to respond in the case.

In a position paper, China outlined its arguments against the jurisdiction of the Permanent Court of Arbitration at The Hague to take up the case filed by the Philippines last year that could have implications for China's claims over the South China Sea.

(...SNIPPED)

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - Henry Ford

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill


"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"- Gen. George S. Patton
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
MSantor
Member Avatar

PDFF Mod Group
Inquirer

Quote:
 
18 Chinese vessels probed for entering PH waters at height of ‘Ruby’

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines – Authorities on Monday said they have started investigating 18 Chinese fishing vessels that entered Philippine waters reportedly to seek shelter at the height of Typhoon Ruby.

The fishing vessels were spotted and intercepted near Sacol Island around 1 p.m.

Customs Security Chief Sammy Labay said that they were investigating possible violations after the vessels entered Philippine seas without informing competent authority.

A ship officer reportedly told authorities that the vessels came from Indonesia and were on their way to China when they decided to seek shelter in southern Philippines to avoid typhoon Ruby (Hagupit), which had lost some of its strength and has been re-classified as a tropical storm.

(...SNIPPED)

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - Henry Ford

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill


"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"- Gen. George S. Patton
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hong Nam
Member Avatar
Bought by China

Why China Won't Accept International Arbitration in the South China Sea
In a recently released position paper, Beijing outlines its reasons for rejecting a Philippine request for arbitration.

By Shannon Tiezzi
December 09, 2014


On December 7, China's Foreign Ministry released a copy of China's position paper regarding the Philippines' appeal to international arbitration over South China Sea disputes. It's the first time China has outlined in detail its position regarding the case. China has long stated that it will not participate in or accept the results of the arbitration; the release of the position paper provides a legal justification for that stance.

The crux of the matter is that China does not believe that the arbitral tribunal has jurisdiction to decide the case. More broadly, China rejects the notion that the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) can be used to decide South China Sea sovereignty issues, which Beijing maintains is at the heart of the Philippine case. The issue of territorial sovereignty falls beyond the purview of the Convention, China's position paper concludes.

In other words, before UNCLOS or other international bodies can address the issue of maritime claims, China and other disputants have to work out who owns what.

China also points out that back in 2006 it officially declared that it does not accept the compulsory settlement procedures provided for by UNCLOS, including those dealing with maritime delimitation. Since the Philippine case is effectively asking the tribunal to rule on whether or not the disputed areas belong to the Philippines' EEZ and continental shelf, the tribunal's decision is inevitably tied up with the process of maritime delimitation. Even if the tribunal has jurisdiction to rule on the case, China maintains it would be under no obligation to accept the ruling.

Finally, China claims that, by filing its case with the arbitral tribunal, the Philippines is violating an existing agreement to settle the South China Sea dispute through negotiations with China.

China claims that the Philippine case is not a goodwill effort to peacefully solve the South China Sea issue, but an attempt "to put political pressure on China."


China's position paper concludes:

Quote:
 

The unilateral initiation of the present arbitration by the Philippines will not change the history and fact of China's sovereignty over the South China Sea Islands and the adjacent waters; nor will it shake China's resolve and determination to safeguard its sovereignty and relevant maritime rights and interests; nor will it affect China's policy and position of resolving the disputes in the South China Sea by direct negotiation and working together with other States in the region to maintain peace and stability in the South China Sea.



The Diplomat



Posted Image
Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90



Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
pachador


this particular line in the sand or water if you will is fortunately easier to defend being only 80 miles from palawan, and is reachable not only quicker as its very near, more assets can reach it including those with shorter range such as huey gunships, MD-520 gunships, and of course the rhibs, speedboats, bancas , patrol boats .....important for a prolonged standoff:
http://www.angmalaya.net/nation/2014/08/20/3475-navy-has-a-standing-order-china-cant-build-structure-in-recto-bank
Edited by pachador, Dec 31 2014, 11:58 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
ganymede09
Member
[ *  *  * ]
pachador
Dec 31 2014, 11:57 AM
this particular line in the sand or water if you will is fortunately easier to defend being only 80 miles from palawan, and is reachable not only quicker as its very near, more assets can reach it including those with shorter range such as huey gunships, MD-520 gunships, and of course the rhibs, speedboats, bancas , patrol boats .....important for a prolonged standoff:
http://www.angmalaya.net/nation/2014/08/20/3475-navy-has-a-standing-order-china-cant-build-structure-in-recto-bank
the date mentioned for the planned drilling makes it important that at least a couple of Pohangs or Ulsans (or maybe the incoming PCG assets-2 from Japan 2015) be acquired and operational by then.
Edited by ganymede09, Dec 31 2014, 08:02 PM.
LET'S RAISE OUR MIDDLE FINGERs TO THE MIDDLE KINGDOM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · West Philippine Sea · Next Topic »
Add Reply