| Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| Philippines-China WPS Dispute | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Jul 15 2012, 02:28 PM (105,195 Views) | |
| Mckoyzzz | Jan 10 2013, 07:49 PM Post #181 |
|
Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
![]()
|
DFA: China now has 'three strikes' against PHL PATRICIA DENISE CHIU, GMA NEWSJanuary 10, 2013 6:14pm It might not be long before China is declared out. Department of Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario on Thursday said that China has committed three strikes against the Philippines and other claimant nations of disputed territories in the West Philippine Sea, and the Philippines continues to be vigilant against any more. In a Palace briefing following Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida's courtesy call on President Aquino, Del Rosario enumerated a laundry list of violations committed by China against international law, the first being is its excessive claims in the South China Sea. Three strikes "If you look at the posture of China in the South China Sea, their fixed posture is they have indisputable sovereignty over nearly all of the South China Sea. Now, this of course is an excessive claim. It’s in violation of international law—strike one," Del Rosario said. Strike two, said Rosario, is China’s insistence about governing these disputed territories, in particular the establishment of Sansha City on Yongxing Island. In order to be able to reinforce [their sovereignty], what they’ve done is that they have called for a reestablishment of an administrative unit to oversee the entire area which they consider as the nine-dash," Del Rosario said. "[We’re] talking about Sansha City being in the Paracels and the administrative unit [encompassing] Macclesfield Bank, which also includes the Bajo de Masinloc," he added. Lastly, Del Rosario cited the recent controversial law passed by China that will allow Chinese troops to board foreign ships that will ply the route of disputed territories, potentially causing adverse effects on freedom of navigation. "Then they come up with this new law which provides for enforcement in terms of interdiction of ships in those areas. So strike three already," Del Rosario said. Additionally, Del Rosario cited China’s insistence of building infrastructure and budget allocations as more proof of China’s belligerence in the face of the territorial disputes. "And then, of course, they’re coming up with all kinds of infrastructure and releasing figures on budgets that they intend to use to be able to establish their presence there. So I think these are all very threatening and we have been protesting these moves by China," Del Rosario said. Both China and the Philippines—as well Taiwan, Malaysia, Brunei and Vietnam—are locked in a dispute over ownership of the Spratly Islands, a chain of islands and islets believed to be rich in oil and minerals deposits, in the West Philippine Sea. Japan, on the other hand, claims the Senkaku Islands, which China also asserts ownership over. Last year, China issued new passports that depicted the disputed areas in the West Philippine Sea as being part of its territory—a move that angered the Philippines and other claimants to the territories. PHL-Japan cooperation Yet despite these complaints, Del Rosario did not specify any actions moving forward to assert the Philippine claim over disputed territories, but instead stuck to the party line of a desire for a "peaceful resolution" over the disputes. "I think there’s a mutual agreement that we should pursue peaceful resolution to these disputes and we’re trying to find out what the right formulation is," he said when asked if the Philippine government and Japan have agreed upon anything to resolve China’s continuing assertions. Instead, the Foreign Secretary said the Philippines and Japan continue to work towards a speedy resolution of the disputes, for the benefit of all parties concerned. "Well, I think what we agreed [that] because we do have this threat and this threat actually is shared by many countries not just with Japan, we should continue to talk and see to what extent and cooperate in terms of coming to a peaceful resolution of the disputes," Del Rosario said. However, he consented to say that in discussions with Kishida, the Philippines pushed for a three-pronged approach when dealing with China. "In the bilateral discussions that the ambassador and the Foreign Minister and I had, I explained the three-tracked approach which is the political, [the] diplomatic, and the legal," he said. Del Rosario also reported that Japan and the Philippines will heighten cooperation toward maritime safety, particularly in patrolling disputed waters. "I think we’re already receiving a significant measure of assistance and support from Japan in terms of capacity building for the Coast Guard. I’m referring to the Coast Guard capacity building in terms of training and, as I said, we have this communication system that Japan will be funding that will provide for a greater maritime safety element as far as the Coast Guard is concerned," he said. The support comes in the form of a grant, Del Rosario explained, which will be used to develop 10 multirole response vessels. "We also discussed the maritime security and we discussed assistance to the [Philippine] Coast Guard in terms of its multirole response vessels which is being funded by the Japanese government," he said. The patrol ships will be ready in about 18 months, Del Rosario added. Other than assistance in terms of procuring new patrol ships, Del Rosario also said Japan has pledged support for LRT extension projects, as well as the development of a new Bohol airport. "In the hands of the Japanese government are already the LRT-1 South, that goes to Cavite and LRT-2 East, that goes to Antipolo. These are extensions. In addition to that, we have the new Bohol airport," he said. — BM, GMA News GMA NEWS |
![]() "Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong -- Dandemis" | |
![]() |
|
| icefrog | Jan 13 2013, 04:40 AM Post #182 |
![]()
|
China publishes new maps highlighting islands being claimed by PH, Japan
http://www.interaksyon.com/article/52552/china-publishes-new-maps-highlighting-islands-being-claimed-by-ph-japan |
|
Sign up for the Philippines' first E-wallet via this referral and get PHP 24.00 as a gift credited to your account: https://coins.ph/invite/gphUpV | |
![]() |
|
| Hong Nam | Jan 15 2013, 12:04 PM Post #183 |
|
Bought by China
![]()
|
So? Is this strike 4? If memory serves me right, it only goes up to 3. What now? Makes you wish you bought that baseball bat for Christmas. Eh? Edited by Hong Nam, Jan 15 2013, 12:05 PM.
|
![]() Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie - C Sword 90 | |
![]() |
|
| gammy322 | Jan 15 2013, 04:36 PM Post #184 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
China daily to 'troublemaker' Philippines: You 'had better get used' to seeing more of our patrols By: Pots de Leon, InterAksyon.com January 15, 2013 5:58 AM [Share This] InterAksyon.com The online news portal of TV5 MANILA, Philippines – As the Department of Foreign Affairs plans another protest against China over the reported rendering of a new official Chinese map, Beijing's state-owned media on Monday fired a broadside at DFA Secretary Albert del Rosario, accusing him of deliberately raising tensions in the region. The state-owned China Daily accused the Philippines of "playing the role of troublemaker" and seeking every opportunity to escalate tensions in the South China Sea, which Manila calls the West Philippine Sea. In its editorial page, China Daily cited the efforts of DFA Secretary del Rosario to get Beijing to clarify its deployment of more patrol ships to guard the islands and waters of the South China Sea. Such frequent patrols are the normal exercise of sovereignty, said China Daily, and instead of continuing to make noise, Manila "had better get used to it." Manila, like Vietnam, has also protested Beijing's inclusion of a nine-dash map - which shows China owning the entire South China Sea - in the design of the new Chinese passports. The DFA-set policy, followed by immigration, is not to stamp Philippine visas on these new Chinese passports, and instead stamp the visa on a separate application form provided by Philippine authorities to Chinese citizens traveling to the Philippines. Tourism plans 'for Nansha' assailed The China Daily took issue, meanwhile, with the Philippine government's announcement of plans to turn "some of the disputed Nansha Islands" (Beijing’s reference to the disputed territory) into tourist destinations. "The Philippine military had already said that the country may build infrastructure on them. All these constitute an open defiance to China's sovereignty as China has indisputable sovereignty over the Nansha Islands and their adjacent waters and opposes any move that could impair China's sovereignty," the Chinese commentary added. "If Manila takes further steps in this regard, it is sure to meet with strong opposition as well as countermeasures from China. It is now crystal clear that Manila is determined to play the role of a troublemaker and seeks every opportunity to escalate tensions in the South China Sea." Such moves of Manila, the paper said, "sparked new tensions over the disputed waters." Beijing's alleged aggression is a "false accusation and Manila's top diplomat should not forget that his own country raised the tensions in the disputed waters in the first place." China's recent efforts are but a response to "Manila's provocative moves," the daily said. 'Excessive coverage' of new map Days after China announced that it would release its new and updated official map by the end of January, DFA spokesman Raul Hernandez had said in a text message the DFA will first "verify" the extent of its coverage before issuing an official statement. If the new map is confirmed, said Hernandez, "we will protest the excessive coverage in the map of China." A day earlier, Malacañang ordered the DFA to verify the reports made by Xinhua, a China-owned news agency. The report quoted Sinomaps Press as announcing it has already updated and redesigned its old map by including 130 islands and islets of the South China Sea, including those contested by the Philippines, Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia and Taiwan. Sinomaps Press chief editor Xu Gencai said they published a new map to inform their Chinese nationals about China’s maritime territory, in order to safeguard its marine rights and interests; and manifest their political diplomatic stance. "The new vertical maps have marked clearly the major South China Sea islands and demonstrated their geographic relations with surrounding island countries as well as surrounding islands and islets," Xu said. 15 protests and counting The DFA has thus far filed 15 diplomatic protests against China's excessive claims and aggression in the West Philippine Sea. Among others, Manila is protesting the establishment of Sansha City to administer Spratly, Macclesfield Bank, Paracel islands, including the creation of a legislative body and military garrison there. Manila also filed a diplomatic complaint against China’s issuance of its new electronic passport bearing the nine-dash-map. Beijing's issuance of a policy allowing local authorities in Hainan province to board and search foreign vessels entering contested waters was also the subject of a complaint by Manila. Several protests filed by the Philippines and other claimant countries like Vietnam have done little to deter China from continuing its series of "excessive actions," which Chinese experts and officials merely frame as the exercise of a "right to protect" its interest over the disputed maritime territory. Manila has insisted that China abide by the terms of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (Unclos), which recognizes the 200 nautical miles exclusive economic zone of countries. Following this, said DFA, the Philippines is the only country that could explore or acquire maritime features. Manila and Beijing have seen tensions rising since April, when China blocked Philippine naval authorities from arresting its fishermen who were caught illegally fishing and acquiring endangered maritime species within the 125 nautical miles EEZ, in Panatag Shoal off the Zambales coastline. Regular patrols continue The Chinese Oceanic Administration, which is responsible for overseeing and safeguarding national maritime rights and interests, said last Thursday it will continue to carry out regular patrols in China's "territorial waters" in the East and South China Seas. "It is normal practice for a sovereign state to patrol its territorial waters. Instead of feeling uncomfortable about it, Manila had better get used to it," China Daily said. http://www.interaksyon.com/article/52704/china-daily-to-troublemaker-philippines-you-had-better-get-used-to-seeing-more-of-our-patrols |
![]() |
|
| wily_pest | Jan 15 2013, 05:00 PM Post #185 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
china is right, "get use to it phil." if u don't have a navy and a real air force to challenge them, get use to it. by the way, how's the del pilar and the maes ships doing? it's still on paper being evaluated? |
| Management of many is the same as management of few. It is a matter of organization. Sun Tzu | |
![]() |
|
| THE_NEWS_MAN | Jan 15 2013, 05:29 PM Post #186 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
^^ so true no airforce no navy open frenzy for them.if they want they can go ahead with recto no body is stopping them.i really feel sorry for our AFP marines dying with out a bulletproff vest with out a proper weapon un navy meron nga iisa un isa nasa US pa sira parin ang makina zzzz. ang airforce maski isang lift wala parin nasa drawing boared parin. |
![]() |
|
| gammy322 | Jan 15 2013, 06:01 PM Post #187 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
diplomatic protest....the only answer the Philippines can do right now. Very very sad...
Edited by gammy322, Jan 15 2013, 06:01 PM.
|
![]() |
|
| Samir_Duran | Jan 15 2013, 06:24 PM Post #188 |
|
THE GHOST
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
However sad, the world is watching. |
![]() |
|
| spearhead | Jan 15 2013, 07:11 PM Post #189 |
|
DoctorNO, Your Neutral Observer.
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Even if the world is watching..... |
"Men of War must learn the art of numbers or he will not know how to array his troops." - Plato![]() ![]() | |
![]() |
|
| wily_pest | Jan 15 2013, 07:50 PM Post #190 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
check out the dnd office. you'll find them on the toilet seats with their morning paper. |
| Management of many is the same as management of few. It is a matter of organization. Sun Tzu | |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| Go to Next Page | |
| « Previous Topic · West Philippine Sea · Next Topic » |












![]](http://z1.ifrm.com/static/1/pip_r.png)


8:29 AM Jul 11