Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Philippines-China WPS Dispute
Topic Started: Jul 15 2012, 02:28 PM (105,203 Views)
lionking66
Member
[ *  *  * ]
lionking66
Sep 23 2012, 09:46 AM
Inside China: PLA says war with U.S. imminent
By Miles Yu

-

A Chinese general recently offered an alarming assessment that a future conflict with the United States is coming as a result of U.S. "containment" policies.

The release last week of a transcribed speech by People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Maj. Gen. Peng Guangqian revealed the harsh words toward the United States and those in China he regards as muddle-headed peacenik intellectuals.

Gen. Peng, a well-known PLA strategist, has a hawkish reputation and a large following in China. The speech was given in December at an event hosted by Xinhua news agency in Beijing. An abbreviated transcript was published June 21 on the Chinese military website Leiting, or Thunder.

"The United States has been exhausting all its resources to establish a strategic containment system specifically targeting China," Gen. Peng said."The contradictions between China and the United States are structural, not to be changed by any individual, whether it is G.H.W. Bush, G.W. Bush or Barack Obama, it will not make a difference to these contradictions."

The general specifically criticized two views prevalent among some analysts in Beijing and Washington that a U.S.-China military conflict will not happen anytime soon because of mutual economic dependency between the two nations. He also attacked the popular view that the U.S.-China relationship can't be too good but can't be too bad, either.

Gen. Peng criticized what he sees as an all-out endeavor by the United States to encircle China. "Some people keep saying that we have friends all over the world. But I have used a magnifying glass trying to find some friendly countries on a world map. And I kept looking and looking, but failed to find any except a containment circle around us longer than the Great Wall of China!" Gen. Peng said.

"The reason why China does not have an especially strong sense of crisis is that we chant 'peace and harmony' everywhere in the world, which was originally intended for the world to hear, but such chanting has left us kidding ourselves and paralyzed. Now no one is willing to think about war," he said.

ORDER TO DISCLOSE ASSETS

The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) recently demanded that all PLA senior officials disclose their personal assets, a measure that appears aimed at curbing rampant corruption within the communist military hierarchy, according to the official military newspaper PLA Daily.

The Communist Party's ultimate regime support comes from the People's Liberation Army. Founding CCP dictator Mao Zedong famously coined the phrase, "Political power comes from the barrel of a gun."

Read more: Inside China: PLA says war with U.S. imminent - Washington Times http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jun/27/inside-china-pla-says-war-us-imminent/#ixzz27FedeaQI

This was what I have been looking for in the Chinese jigsaw puzzle;

1. Transition of powers often create a leadership "vacuum"

2. Caters to domestic instability and public clamor

3. Diverts domestic squables and other problems, economic and political

4. Convenient where in a country that the Military is endowed with political power as the Military Commission.

. . . .a military coup is in the offing in China. Please read the 2parts article in full. If the Politburo cannot put the 'genie back into the bottle', all bets are up or out!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
matrix
Member Avatar
Member
[ *  *  * ]
AFP will deploy additional soldiers around Lawak Island...


News from Japan....(using Google Translate)



Philippines, placing soldiers tripled Nansha Islands

12/09/25 18:32

Posted Image
Lawak Island in South China Sea
File photo in June 2012 shows part of a small Filipino naval base on Philippine-controlled Lawak Island in the South China Sea. (Kyodo)


Posted Image
Lawak Island in South China Sea
File photo in June 2012 shows a Filipino soldier towing a boat carrying supplies to Philippine-controlled Lawak Island (back) in the South China Sea. (Kyodo)





[National Correctional vying for the South China Sea, the sovereignty of China and nearby countries • Local rampage (南沙, English name Spratly islands and reefs in the Spratly) Islands in the Philippines that govern effective to deploy additional soldiers of the 100 delegates present 25 days revealed the fact that there are plans to increase to three times.

Purpose to strengthen the Philippines to promote resource development expenses around Nansha Islands and China against interference to repeat. If the plan is carried out, the Chinese side's expected backlash is inevitable that rising tensions.

Philippine government and the Armed Forces officials, Kyodo said.

About 50 people currently being deployed in nine islands and reefs in the Nansha Islands in the Philippines, to dominate the effective soldiers. Are planning to increase the placement of them except for a small reef islands and reefs.

Soldiers to be placed next oil • Philippines Department of Energy to accelerate the development of natural gas, strengthen the focus on the lead bank to the waters around islands near rawak According to the plan, is expected to increase approximately 20 people from the current

Heli-pad and the anti-aircraft guns, new, small is considering the introduction of a predator.

Department of Energy to request resources in accordance with the development of mining facilities, such as the expense of strengthening the military and Coast Guard. Had already spending part of the cost of the military and Coast Guard equipment.

Trouble, such as last year, China, the Philippines, resource since the probe to interfere with the lead bank in the waters around the bundle was

http://translate.google.com/translate?langpair=auto|en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.47news.jp%2Fkorean%2Finternational%2F2012%2F09%2F050490.html
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
matrix
Member Avatar
Member
[ *  *  * ]
DND: China free to fly drones only over its own, international airspace

September 26, 2012 1:44am
 

The Department of National Defense said Tuesday that it sees no problem with China’s plan to fly drones to monitor disputed areas that the Chinese are claiming provided they fly within their country’s or over international airspace.
 
However, DND spokesman Peter Paul Galvez said in a phone interview, “If they enter your airspace without your permission, there could be a miscalculation. For example, you might be shot at accidentally. It may aggravate [the situation], instead of being able to contribute to the peaceful resolution of the current dispute.” 
 
“We continuously encourage everyone to be mindful of efforts encouraging regional stability,” added Galvez.
 
According to reports, Chinese State Oceanic Administration division chief Yu Qingsong said that they would be deploying drones to undertake remote-sensing, maritime surveillance over claimed areas along China’s coastline by 2015.
 
China is claiming the Spratly Islands in the West Philippine Sea. Also claiming the disputed chain of islands and islets – believed to be rich in oil and minerals deposits - are the Philippines, Taiwan, Malaysian, Brunei and Vietnam.
 
China and Philippines have also been disputing ownership of the Panatag Shoal off Zambales since April of this year. At least three Chinese government ships are currently near the shoal’s vicinity. — DVM, GMA News
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
seWer Rat
Member Avatar
amateur sewer cleaner

'Rules-based' approach to resolve dispute with China: Del Rosario

http://www.rappler.com/nation/13179-rules-based-to-resolve-dispute-with-china-del-rosario

MANILA, Philippines - The only legitimate and viable way to resolve the territorial dispute with China over the South China Sea (West Philippine Sea) is a rules-based approach respecting international law, Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said.

“The West Philippine Sea remains a focus of concern for the Philippines, for the region and for the international community and as we have maintained many times before, a rules-based approach is the only legitimate and viable way to address the issue,” the Department of Foreign Affairs chief told the Philippine Conference in Washington, D.C. on Wednesday, September 26.

In the presence of Justice Secretary Leila de Lima and Finance Secretary Cesar Purisima, Del Rosario stressed that the Philippines does not want to isolate China or force the resolution of the dispute over Scarborough Shoal.

"Our core interest lies in being able to contribute to ensuring that the global security and economic system is based firmly on the rule of law," he said, according to a DFA statement.

In this sense, the secretary explained that "we are firmly committed to helping build an international system that will be just and fair to all states, regardless of economic size or power.”


-------more at the link
To avoid criticism, write nothing, say nothing, do nothing, BE NOTHING.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
matrix
Member Avatar
Member
[ *  *  * ]
China warns Philippines against shooting down drones

Last Updated: Thursday, September 27, 2012, 18:03
 

Beijing: China on Thursday warned the Philippines against taking any military action against its drones deployed to monitor the disputed islands in the resource-rich South China Sea.

Reacting to remarks by a spokesman of the Philippine Department of National Defence (DND) warning that Chinese drones may be shot at if they enter airspace of Huangyan island called by Manila as Scarborough Shoal, Chinese Defence Ministry spokesman, Yang Yujun said "China is opposed to any military provocation in the South China Sea."

Yang defended China using drones to monitor disputed islands saying that move is "justified and legal,", state-run Xinhua news agency reported.

China has indisputable sovereignty over Huangyan Island, the Nansha Islands and their adjacent waters, it said.

"Therefore, Chinese aircraft flying in the airspace in question is justified and legal," he said. China's State Oceanic Administration said on Sunday that China will use drones to strengthen the nation's marine surveillance, and step up efforts to enhance its surveillance of the islands and islets including the Diaoyu and Huangyan.



Tension flared in April when the two countries' ships faced-off over the Scarborough Shoal islands. Both sides later agreed to withdraw their boats, thereby restoring calm. China claims sovereignty over nearly all of the South China Sea, which is believed to have huge reserves of oil and gas, and is home to key shipping lanes vital to global trade.

However, the Philippines, Brunei, Malaysia, Vietnam and Taiwan also have claims to parts of the sea, some of them overlapping.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/world/china-warns-philippines-against-shooting-down-drones_802232.html
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
wily_pest
Member Avatar
Member
[ *  *  * ]
Outside the Phil. EEZ is international water. The Philippines and Vietnam should not allow any country including China to set up an oil and gas rig on it (on international waters).

Why? Because whatever oil and gas China takes from outside the EEZ will be siphoned out from inside the EEZ. They are all from the same reserve.

So the issue is not just keeping the EEZ, but also making sure the international zone is kept international.

Management of many is the same as management of few. It is a matter of organization. Sun Tzu
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
spearhead
Member Avatar
DoctorNO, Your Neutral Observer.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Panatag Re-Stand-off: Philippines will send back Warship, New People Army raise hands to Fight with Army to Defeat China invaders
AT FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2012


http://betterphils.blogspot.ca/2012/09/panatag-re-stand-off-philippines-will.html


The Philippine government may soon send back its ships to Panatag (Scarborough) Shoal if China does not comply with an earlier agreement between the two countries to pull out their vessels from the hotly-contested rock formation in the West Philippine Sea, according to Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario.

At the sidelines of the Center for Strategic and International Studies forum in Washington, DC Wednesday (Thursday in Manila), where he was invited as keynote speaker, Del Rosario said China reneged on the agreement reached sometime in June during negotiations in Manila between him and Chinese Ambassador Ma Keqing.

"There was an agreement between the two countries that ships will be pulled out from the shoal. The Philippines pulled out their ship but the Chinese did not comply with the agreement," said Del Rosario during the question-and-answer portion.

"We believe they (China) should do this and of course if they continue to violate Philippine sovereign rights in that area, then we will have to consider a response. We do not know what that response is just yet," he added.

The Philippines insists Panatag Shoal (also known locally as Bajo de Masinloc), which is 124 nautical miles off Masinloc in Zambales, is part of its territory. A similar claim is being made by China on historical grounds.

China refused to consider the Philippine position to settle the dispute by bringing the matter before an international arbitration body, saying the matter should be discussed bilaterally.

Recent reconnaissance flights of the Philippine Air Force showed that China still has three government ships outside the shoal's lagoon. The Chinese have also cordoned off the shoal's entrance using ropes.

President Aquino ordered the withdrawal of two government ships from the shoal last June due to bad weather. Independent fishing bans were likewise raised by Manila and Beijing over the area, supposedly to diffuse the tension but Chinese fishermen continued to fish there.

Del Rosario, in his keynote speech, again called for a rules-based approach in resolving the territorial dispute in the West Philippine Sea, saying it is the only legitimate and viable way to address the issue.

"Let me make it clear: our foreign policy does not seek to isolate one country, nor even force the resolution of a dispute. Our core interest lies in being able to contribute to ensuring that the global security and economic system is based firmly on the rule of law. We are firmly committed to helping build an international system that will be just and fair to all states, regardless of economic size or power," he said.

Under the rules-based approach, countries would be governed by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) treaty, which defines the rights and responsibilities of nations in their use of the world's oceans, establishing guidelines for businesses, the environment, and the management of marine natural resources.

"We want to establish an actionable framework to define, clarify, and segregate, in accordance with the UNCLOS, the disputed and non-disputed areas of the West Philippine Sea. This would pave the way for feasible cooperation between the Association of Southeast Asian Nations and China in the medium-term," he said.

Del Rosario said the Philippines is still studying the possibility of a dispute settlement mechanism under UNCLOS.

As for the diplomatic track, he said Manila will continue to keep channels of discussions with China open. He cited his meeting last month with Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi, which, he said, shows that high-level contact between Manila and Beijing is being maintained.
"Men of War must learn the art of numbers or he will not know how to array his troops." - Plato

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Ayoshi
Member Avatar


Ties with China 'bettering' but far from warm - Aquino
www.interaksyon.com

MANILA, Philippines -- President Benigno Aquino III said on Wednesday there has been "a little bettering" in bilateral relations between the Philippines and China but admitted relations between the two countries remained far from warm.

In an open forum with members of the Foreign Correspondents Association of the Philippines, Aquino said both countries are "still a long way of really taking it back to where (our relationship) was."

"There is some degree of change in terms of a little bettering of the situation compared to where it was at the height of the tensions," he said. "We are still hoping that we will resolve this amicably; that reasonable voices will prevail; and that both sides are really geared towards arriving at a solution that will satisfy not just the bilateral concerns but more importantly I guess the multilateral concerns affecting this issue."

Full Article
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
seWer Rat
Member Avatar
amateur sewer cleaner

PH gov't, China to meet again in Manila

MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines and China will finally meet again officially in Manila 6 months after the row over Scarborough Shoal erupted in April.

A Philippine delegation headed by Foreign Affairs Undersecretary for Policy Erlinda F Basilio is set to hold talks with the Chinese delegation led by Vice Foreign Minister Fu Ying on October 19, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said on Tuesday, October 16.

Fu will also meet separately with Philippine Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario.

"Filipino and Chinese foreign ministry senior officials will meet in Manila on October 19 to review existing cooperation and chart future direction of Philippines-China diplomatic relations," the statement noted.

The meeting, officially called the 18th Foreign Ministry Consultations (FMC) consultations between the Philippines and China, "is a regular bilateral mechanism meant to be a venue for the two countries to discuss bilateral, regional and multilateral issues of mutual concern," according to the DFA.

link
To avoid criticism, write nothing, say nothing, do nothing, BE NOTHING.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Ayoshi
Member Avatar


Genghis Khan, not West PHL Sea, discussed at Enrile meeting with Chinese official
www.gmanetwork.com

Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile on Thursday met with Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Fu Ying and discussed about Genghis Khan and Mongolia, but not the dispute over the West Philippine Sea.

Foreign Affairs spokesman Raul Hernandez, who accompanied Fu in her courtesy call to Enrile, said the two "just talked about things, things about history. It was more of pleasantries and trying to update themselves about each others development.”

Enrile said they discussed about world economy, Genghis Khan and Mongolia, where Fu came from.

Fu was one of the Chinese officials Senator Antonio Trillanes IV talked to in his back-channeling efforts regarding the territorial dispute between the Philippines and China — an issue that caused a rift between him and Enrile.

Full Article
Edited by Ayoshi, Oct 18 2012, 09:17 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · West Philippine Sea · Next Topic »
Add Reply