| Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| PH Files Case vs China Before UNCLOS Tribunal; Ph challenges China's 9-dash claims in WPS at UN Tribunal | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Jan 22 2013, 05:03 PM (50,595 Views) | |
| Mckoyzzz | Jan 23 2013, 06:58 PM Post #21 |
|
Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
![]()
|
China says Philippines' U.N. request on seas complicates issue Reuters BEIJING (Reuters) - China said on Wednesday that a request by the Philippines for a U.N. tribunal to intervene in its longstanding South China Sea territorial dispute with China would only complicate the issue, and denounced Manila's "illegal occupation" of islands there. Manila has asked the tribunal of the U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) to order a halt to China's activities that the Philippines says violates the Southeast Asian nation's sovereignty. China's claims over islands, reefs and atolls in resource-rich waters off its south coast and to the east of mainland Southeast Asia set it directly against Vietnam and the Philippines, while Brunei, Taiwan and Malaysia also lay claim to parts. Asked about the Philippines' move, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said its southern neighbour was occupying some of China's islands in the South China Sea. "China has consistently opposed the Philippines' illegal occupation," he told a daily news briefing. China supports talks, but only on a bilateral basis with the countries directly involved, as previously agreed on by China and members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), Hong added. "We hope that the relevant country honours its promises, and ... does not take any action to complicate or expand the problem," he said, without elaborating. It was not clear how the tribunal could help. While all its decisions are binding on countries concerned, it has no power to enforce them. (Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Ron Popeski) YAHOO NEWS ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This is exactly what I thought on my post here yesterday... |
![]() "Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong -- Dandemis" | |
![]() |
|
| AVBsupersonic | Jan 23 2013, 07:32 PM Post #22 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
I believe so too Bro.Mc! They said 3-4 years before any final decision is granted, so we have this time frame to give our best priority, dedication to have a strong political will to build up our AFP to the fullest capacity for us to be able to enforce our rights when the time comes. Let as support and push for the "Biazon Bill"! It's time to fast track the AFPM acquisitions and for the Govt. to modify and increase the budget to $2 Billion annually per year instead of every 5 years. $ 30 Billion Dollars for 15 year AFPM Funding! The Philippines can give priority first to explore other areas which has no territorial disputes, namely contracts like, SC 37 (Cagayan), SC 43 (Ragay Gulf ), SC 47 (Offshore Mindoro), SC 57 (Calamian), SC 58 (West Calamian), SC 59 (West Balabac) and SC 63 (East Sabina?)and generate income from all of these projects, then use part of the funds to acquire state of the art Military Equipments and weapons at the same time to fund and revive SRDP, (local) warship building etc. TO BE ABLE TO SUPPORT THIS FUNDING AND ALSO THIS GENERATES MORE FUNDING FOR THE GOVT. COFFERS WITHOUT ANY CHINESE HASSLE... P.S. NO CNOOC pls. NOT even Pangilinan! Edited by AVBsupersonic, Jan 23 2013, 08:00 PM.
|
| "Some are just lucky that they're not under oath and are not classified!"- Blue badge | |
![]() |
|
| Ayoshi | Jan 23 2013, 09:21 PM Post #23 |
![]()
|
Lawmakers, OVP back filing of case in UNCLOS, China-PH ties seen unharmed www.interaksyon.com
<snipped>
<snipped>
|
![]() |
|
| icefrog | Jan 23 2013, 10:38 PM Post #24 |
![]()
|
Push the Biazon bill? $30B AFP funding for 15 years? Where have you been?? Inside a cave!? |
|
Sign up for the Philippines' first E-wallet via this referral and get PHP 24.00 as a gift credited to your account: https://coins.ph/invite/gphUpV | |
![]() |
|
| gammy322 | Jan 23 2013, 10:56 PM Post #25 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
$2B annual budget for the AFP is attainable considering our average annual National budget is at $50B...
Edited by gammy322, Jan 23 2013, 10:57 PM.
|
![]() |
|
| icefrog | Jan 23 2013, 11:33 PM Post #26 |
![]()
|
The 5-yr $1.8B AFP modernization fund has already been passed and signed by the Pres. last December. The Biazon bill was the House of Rep. version while the Senate version (lead proponent was Lacson). Both versions are combined in a bicam committee and then the final version (merged House and Senate version) like I said has been passed and signed already by the Pres. Funding commences 2013 and will last until 2018. Total funding is $1.8B distributed over the 5 yr period and shared by the PAF, PN and Army with the bulk of the AFP fund to be used by the PAF and PN. The PCG is not part of the AFP and so will not have a share on that $1.8B. It will have a separate funding. There's a reason why the funding is limited to 5 years only as opposed to the long epic failed 15 yr fund. The PNoy admin will not take up another AFP bill within it's admin. We have to wait for the new President to pass another AFP modernization bill when the currently signed AFP modernization bill expires in 2018. Edited by icefrog, Jan 23 2013, 11:36 PM.
|
|
Sign up for the Philippines' first E-wallet via this referral and get PHP 24.00 as a gift credited to your account: https://coins.ph/invite/gphUpV | |
![]() |
|
| spearhead | Jan 24 2013, 12:01 AM Post #27 |
|
DoctorNO, Your Neutral Observer.
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
PH has strong case vs China in territorial dispute, says Palace spokesman By Doris C. Dumlao Philippine Daily Inquirer 9:32 pm | Wednesday, January 23rd, 2013 http://globalnation.inquirer.net/62465/ph-has-strong-case-vs-china-in-territorial-dispute-says-palace-spokesman ZURICH – The Philippines is confident it has a strong case to win the international arbitration case challenging China’s claim to most of the South China Sea. “What this says to the world is that the Philippines believes that when all is said and done, law and reason will prevail over brute force,” Communications Secretary Ramon “Ricky” Carandang said in a briefing to visiting Philippine media before heading to Davos for the World Economic Forum annual meetings. “We are taking this to the international mechanism for resolving this kind of disputes. It is a testament to our belief, our faith that we are countries that are conducting ourselves, again, through with reason and through the rule of law rather than through brute force,” he said. The Philippine authorities have long talked about taking this step and finally decided to go for it. “And we’re confident that we will make the case about the disputes and that we will win this case on the merits,” Carandang said. By taking this step, Carandang said the Philippines was giving China a “chance” to “prove to the world” that it could participate in a mechanism for an orderly resolution. Asked about a potential scenario of China refusing to participate in the arbitration case, Carandang said: “We’ll have to cross that bridge when we get there but as signatories to Unclos (United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea), there should be no reason why they don’t.” As to whether the Philippines could take a potential backlash from China, now the second largest economy in the world next to the United States, Carandang said that while the Philippines has taken this case to arbitration, it would like to tell China its preference for a rules-based system to resolve the dispute. “Again, going to the courts means strengthening that mechanism of the rules of law, and we think that it would be good for everybody who has an interest in the South China China to watch and to participate in this. So we encourage China to participate in this process,” he said. Whether or not the Philippines gets support from different countries, the international community would want to know what it’s doing, according to Carandang. “And, I think, at the end of the day, this is gonna be a legal argument so, it’s more important that we make the right arguments to the arbitration committee than it is to get, say, political support. But certainly, the international community seems to support our positions, particularly with regard to Scarborough Shoal and Reed Bank, which have long been considered territories belonging to the Philippines,” he said. Carandang said there’s no head count of states supportive of the Philippine position but explained that every country that has expressed support for freedom of navigation in these waters was effectively supporting a rules-based mechanism for resolving disputes. “We’re not saying that you have to say that Scarborough (Shoal) and Recto Bank are ours, although certainly, they are ours, and if any country wants to agree with us, we welcome them. But what we’re saying is, and what many countries have said is that they would like to see a rules-based mechanism for resolving these issues. So it’s not as if, you come in here, you occupy something and then you push everybody around. Everybody wants to see these disputes resolve in an orderly, peaceful, and legal manner. And anyone who says that, is basically supporting the position of the Philippines,” he said. |
"Men of War must learn the art of numbers or he will not know how to array his troops." - Plato![]() ![]() | |
![]() |
|
| spearhead | Jan 24 2013, 01:48 AM Post #28 |
|
DoctorNO, Your Neutral Observer.
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
PHL seeks end to Chinese occupation of 8 reefs and shoal in UN complaint MICHAELA DEL CALLARJanuary 23, 2013 3:23pm The Philippine complaint against China before a United Nations arbitration body is a comprehensive collection of Manila's protests against Chinese expansionist moves in the West Philippine Sea in the last 17 years. These include a demand for Beijing to end occupation and activities on eight reefs and shoal like Mischief Reef, which was seized in 1995. Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario announced Tuesday that the Department of Foreign Affairs summoned Chinese Ambassador Ma Keqing to hand a note informing the Chinese government that the Philippines is taking their long unresolved territorial disputes before a UN arbitration body. It was the strongest step taken by the Aquino administration against perceived Chinese aggression in the West Philippine Sea, a step that fueled fears of a backlash from China, an Asian economic giant and a major global power. The Philippine government said it hoped the legal action "will have no adverse effects on our trade with China.” MORE |
"Men of War must learn the art of numbers or he will not know how to array his troops." - Plato![]() ![]() | |
![]() |
|
| AVBsupersonic | Jan 24 2013, 02:18 AM Post #29 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Hey Mr.Frog, I'm not a frog so I don't live in a cave! I understand what you're trying to say, my suggestions are possible if they really want to do something about it, it's also an answer reaction to this problem-
The $2 B. USD annually is doable, provided if the Govt. is willing and has the Political will to plan and execute everything along side awarding exploration developments of as many SC's, if not, all of the areas mentioned above. This will bring in more money for the PH Govt. coffers, at the same time will benefit our AFPM Funding and NO hassles from China. (everybody happy) THE REAL REASON WHY WE HAVE THESE PROBLEMS RIGHT NOW IS BECAUSE WE ARE WEAK! SO OPTING JUST FOR A MODEST CREDIBLE DEFENSE I BELIEVE WON'T SOLVE THESE PROBLEMS. "WHY OPT FOR PUEDE NA YAN LANG, IF WE CAN DO BETTER??? Edited by AVBsupersonic, Jan 24 2013, 02:25 AM.
|
| "Some are just lucky that they're not under oath and are not classified!"- Blue badge | |
![]() |
|
| icefrog | Jan 24 2013, 02:42 AM Post #30 |
![]()
|
^Are you high?? I'll make it simple. There is no more Biazon bill. The Biazon bill you are talking about already passed in the House of Representatives. It was already merged with the "Lacson" bill from the Senate and PNoy already signed it. The AFP fund is only good for 5 years with $1.8B in funds. Period. E-mail Biazon and give your support. He'll probably scratch his head and laugh and tell you: Sir, pasado na po. $1.8B over 5 years lang talaga puede eh. Nahirapan pa nga yung DND to explain saan manggagaling yung $1.8B over 5 years eh. Muntik na nga hindi maipasa kasi nahirapan sila i-explain saan manggaling yung $1.8 over 5 years. $2B a year over 15 years pa kaya!! E-mail Lacson. He'll scratch his head too and say: Sir, pasado na po!! 5 years lang sya kasi palpak yung last 15 year plan natin. Hindi recommended ang ganoong 15 yr plan ulit. Pag hindi mai-fund ng maayos tulad ng time ni Ramos at GMA kailangan natin ulit maghinaty mag-expire yung AFP bill na walang fund. Mabuti na ang ganitong 5 years lang pero sigurado funded tapos gawa na lang po uli ng bagong AFP modernization bill after 5 years. BuT don't e-mail Biazon and me anymore. There's no guarantee we are still in either Congress by 2018. Baka ibang politician na yan mag sponsor ng bagong AFP modernization bill. Baka si Raffy Biazon na at anak ko na. Hintay na lang po ulit kayo ng 2018 at baka mas mayaman na Pilipinas at puede na yung suggestion mo na $2B a year. Alam ko hindi kayo kuntento jan pero wala talaga source ng pera eh. Tapos na po yung AFP bill at kuntento man kayo o hindi eh TAPOS na po!! Wala na pokami magagawa. The die has been cast. - Pampy Lacson Edited by icefrog, Jan 24 2013, 02:45 AM.
|
|
Sign up for the Philippines' first E-wallet via this referral and get PHP 24.00 as a gift credited to your account: https://coins.ph/invite/gphUpV | |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
![]() Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today. Learn More · Register Now |
|
| Go to Next Page | |
| « Previous Topic · West Philippine Sea · Next Topic » |










![]](http://z1.ifrm.com/static/1/pip_r.png)




8:33 AM Jul 11