Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
HK Bus Hostage Tragedy 2010 (aftermath. etc.); updates, discussions
Topic Started: Aug 23 2010, 12:08 PM (6,545 Views)
mazingu
Member Avatar
Member
[ *  *  * ]
Found it, posted by Saver here http://pdff.sytes.net/index.php?showtopic=4729&st=75

Posted Image

why is this vehicle not present at quirino
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
fatbat_mca
Member Avatar
Member
[ *  *  * ]
raider1011
Aug 24 2010, 10:58 AM
Meanwhile, while a former police officer was making idiots out of all Filipinos right where Noynoy took his oath of office, a Korean pastor was killed in Manila.

Quote:
 
Hong Kong Leader Criticizes Handling of Deadly Manila Standoff

“This is a major tragedy,” Tsang told reporters late last night. It’s “disappointing that Hong Kong residents tried to make a pleasure trip to Manila ended up with death and casualties. This is very tragic. And the way it was handled and particularly the outcome I found it disappointing.”

The incident underscores the risks of traveling and working in a country ranked 130th out of 149 in the Global Peace Index, a measure of factors such as violent crimes, access to weapons and political instability. Newly elected Aquino faces three armed insurgencies from Islamic and Communist groups, and has pledged to crack down on corruption in the police force and end the use of more than 100 private armies.

No Easy Solution

“This isn’t one isolated incident,” said Dane Chamorro, an analyst at Control Risk Asia, which advises companies on political and economist risk. “The problems are not things that happened in last five or 10 years, but have been there for decades” and any solution would require “more than a five- or six-year term in office,” he said.

The Philippines attracted 2.7 million tourists last year, about 4 percent of all arrivals into the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations, according to the bloc’s website. Malaysia led Southeast Asia with 23.6 million visitors, followed by Thailand with 14.1 million, Singapore with 9.7 million and Indonesia with 6.5 million.

In a separate incident, a South Korean pastor was shot dead on his way home from the airport in Manila, South Korea’s foreign ministry said yesterday. The killing was unrelated to the bus hijacking, ministry spokesman Kim Young Sun told reporters in Seoul. Two of seven other South Koreans who were with the pastor at the time of the attack were unharmed, Kim said.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-08-2...manila-standoff

Frustrating to read people actually defending how the police handled the assault. Wake up, Filipinos.

so what should we do, crucify them? :armysmile:

Police admit blunders in hostage crisis


Agence France-Presse
First Posted 11:12:00 08/24/2010

Filed Under: Crime, Police, Security (general), Hijacking (General)

MANILA,Philippines – Philippine police conceded Tuesday they made blunders in ending a bus hijacking as outrage grew over the bloody assault played out on live television that left eight Hong Kong tourists dead.

Commandos fired dozens of bullets into the bus and smashed its windows with sledgehammers as they tried to storm it, but were then forced to wait outside helplessly for over an hour as the hijacker used his captives as human shields.

The ordeal in Manila's tourist district on Monday finally ended when the police fired tear gas into the bus and a sniper shot the gunman in the head, but by that time eight of the tourists on board had been killed.

Amid a building storm of criticism from Hong Kong's government and people around the world who watched the shoot-out live on television, Manila police commander Leocadio Santiago admitted mistakes had been made.

"We saw some obvious shortcomings in terms of capability and tactics used, or the procedure employed and we are now going to investigate this," Santiago said on local television.

He and President Benigno Aquino III promised to investigate all aspects of the 12-hour ordeal, which began when a disgruntled sacked policeman armed with an M-16 assault rifle hijacked a bus carrying 25 people, mostly Hong Kong tourists.

Aquino told a pre-dawn press conference that the tragedy highlighted many flaws in the ability of Philippine security forces to handle hostage situations.

"There are a lot of things [that] resulted in a tragedy. Obviously we should be improving," said Aquino, who took office less than two months ago.

One of the problems he emphasized was the way the crisis played out through the media, with the gunman being allowed to speak on radio and watch events live on the bus's television, giving him insights into police actions.

But Aquino nevertheless insisted waiting more than 10 hours before storming the bus was the right course of action, because police believed until that point they could convince the gunman to stand down.

However relatives of the victims as well as the Hong Kong government and media expressed anger over the bloody end to the standoff.

"The way it is handled – particularly the outcome – is very disappointing," Hong Kong Chief Executive Donald Tsang told reporters.

The Chinese embassy in Manila on Tuesday urged the Philippines to take concrete measures to protect Chinese citizens while Hong Kong newspapers bemoaned missed opportunities to end the siege much earlier.

"A large group of police failed to get into the bus after surrounding the vehicle for nearly half an hour," the Hong Kong Economic Journal said.

"Their appalling professional standards, and the lack of strategic planning, made observers both angry and sad. This tragedy could have been avoided."

One of the survivors, who identified herself as Mrs Leung, said at the scene after she scrambled out of the bus that police should not have waited so long before taking action.

"There were so many people on the bus – no one came to our rescue. Why?" said Mrs Leung.

Hong Kong media said Mrs Leung's husband had died in a hail of bullets as he tried to protect his wife. The couple's three children aged 14, 18 and 21 were also on the bus and remained unaccounted for, according to the reports.

The Hong Kong government organised two chartered flights to take relatives of the hostages, as well as psychologists, doctors and social workers, to Manila.

Flags flew at half mast and the Hong Kong stock exchange held a minute's silence as the shocked territory mourned the victims.

The gunman, former senior inspector Rolando Mendoza, hijacked the bus in a crazed attempt to clear his name from charges of extortion that led to him being discharged from the police force in 2008.

Mendoza, 55, had demanded that the ombudsman re-open an investigation into his case, which centred on accusations he tried to extort money from a man who was accused of drug trafficking.

Before being discharged, Mendoza was regarded as a model officer, once being named by his superiors as among the top 10 policemen in the country.
oh my sofie!
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
raider1011


fatbat_mca
Aug 24 2010, 11:33 AM
so what should we do, crucify them?  :armysmile:

FIRE THEM.
God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.

|| Chester W. Nimitz

Loyalty to the Nation ALL the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it.

|| Mark Twain
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
raider1011


And why should you use "crucify"? So kay Hesus mo pa sila kinumpara?
God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.

|| Chester W. Nimitz

Loyalty to the Nation ALL the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it.

|| Mark Twain
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Spidey
Member
[ *  *  * ]
mazingu
Aug 24 2010, 11:21 AM
Found it, posted by Saver here http://pdff.sytes.net/index.php?showtopic=4729&st=75

Posted Image

why is this vehicle not present at quirino

Yes, where was this vehicle? All I saw were two PNP Vios patrol cars and a Hilux pick up used in the assault.

The armored vehicle could have been the one used to break open the bus doors or jumpoff platform of the operators to breach rear of the bus.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Fmr TOPP Awardee 82'PNP
Member Avatar
PDFF Moderator
PDFF Mod Group
Although the siege was over with quite unpleasant consequences, there were opportunities being missed out to minimize the casualties like for instance when the hostage taker was in full view standing and waving at the entrance of the bus with his weapon being in a neutral position. It could have been the best chance for a sharp shooter to come into play.

In a hostage situation, where the hostage taker is armed to the teeth, negotiating scheme is only a secondary facade to give chance to the marksmen to gain the possible safe and convenient angle to shoot. Nobody is really in perfect posture to handle such a situation, but at least a combination of presence of mind and patience with simple precision should have been considered in a very careful option in such a very difficult situation.

Nevertheless, the police were religiously doing there job with much enthusiasm to control the situation. It just ended the hard way.
Posted Image



"GUILTY CONSCIENCE NEEDS NO ACCUSER"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
raider1011


So many wasted opportunities, the biggest mistake was wasting the time they had. The government had precedent (Manila Pen siege) to prevent media interference, and had 10 hours to get reporters to leave the area, and plan a response.

fatbat_mca
Aug 24 2010, 11:33 AM
One of the problems he emphasized was the way the crisis played out through the media, with the gunman being allowed to speak on radio and watch events live on the bus's television, giving him insights into police actions.

But Aquino nevertheless insisted waiting more than 10 hours before storming the bus was the right course of action, because police believed until that point they could convince the gunman to stand down.
God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.

|| Chester W. Nimitz

Loyalty to the Nation ALL the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it.

|| Mark Twain
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Killhorn
Trainee
[ *  * ]
Posted Image
Visit: Philippine Scouts Heritage Society
Posted Image
Captain John Wheeler leading the Machine Gun Troop of the
26th Cavalry Regiment(P.S)(Horse) just prior to the Japanese invasion.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
raider1011


^My god, so the solution was in plain sight? Bakit hindi nila alam iyan? Kahit yung sniper hindi napansin?

Isn't knowing about information like emergency opening mechanisms part of their job? The worst attitude to take is for people to just shrug their shoulders and say the police did their duty. Enough complacency.
God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.

|| Chester W. Nimitz

Loyalty to the Nation ALL the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it.

|| Mark Twain
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
israeli
Member Avatar


Hong Kong shocked and angry
ShanghaiDaily.com
August 24, 2010


Hong Kong's leader Donald Tsang criticized the handling of the hostage crisis in the Philippine capital yesterday in which eight Hong Kong tourists were killed after police commandos stormed the bus they were held in for more than 10 hours.

"It is most regrettable," said Tsang who appeared close to tears during a press conference. "The way it was handled, particularly the outcome, I find is disappointing."

Others in Hong Kong reacted with shock and some anger after what appeared to an ineffective rescue operation.

Police commandos could be seen breaking the windows of the bus minutes after a series of gunshots were heard and the driver of the bus was seen running to safety. The commandos then struggled repeatedly to smash their way into the bus for over half an hour. As they did so, further gunshots could be heard, causing the officers to duck down and take cover. After around an hour the gunman was eventually killed and the hostages freed.

"It's a tragedy and a farce," said Kevin Chan, a Hong Kong resident. "Why did it take them so long to get into the bus? They're not well disciplined and trained. Are they crazy?"

Another Hong Kong resident, Sunny Ho, said things could have been handled through calmer negotiations rather than brute force.

"It's really tragic. The Philippine police and government are totally incompetent. The government should have agreed to the request of the gunman and rescued the people first," Ho said.


Full account demanded

Said Tsang: "I hope the Philippines government can give me a full account of what happened."

Tsang said he had been trying to contact Philippine President Benigno Aquino III since 4pm, about five hours after the policeman hijacked the tour bus carrying the 21-member Hong Kong tour group. But all efforts failed, he said.

Tsang said he was extremely sad and disappointed about the tragedy and the loss of lives of Hong Kong residents. He extended condolences to the families of those killed and injured in the incident.

Tsang said his government would provide everything needed to assist those families.

The government said chartered flights had been arranged to take family members of the Hong Kong tour group to Manila last night and this morning. Some 11 families members were expected to take last night's flight while others would go to Manila this morning, said Tsang.

The government has issued the Black Outbound Travel Alert for the Philippines and requires tour groups still in the Philippines to come back as soon as possible.

Tsang said Hong Kong would lower the flag of the special administrative region at half-mast today to mourn the victims.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu said last night, "The Chinese government expresses its grave condolence to the victims and its deep sympathy to the families of those Hong Kong compatriots."

China strongly condemns the violence of the hijacker, and will send a working team to the Philippines to deal with the aftermath, he said.
"To secure peace is to prepare for war." - Carl Von Clausewitz
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Philippine National Police · Next Topic »
Add Reply