| Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| HK Bus Hostage Tragedy 2010 (aftermath. etc.); updates, discussions | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Aug 23 2010, 12:08 PM (6,547 Views) | |
| seWer Rat | Aug 23 2010, 09:25 PM Post #31 |
|
amateur sewer cleaner
![]()
|
considering the difficulty of the situation, the cops did relatively well. the hostage taker was apparently taken out by shot to the head when the opportunity presented itself to the sniper. |
| To avoid criticism, write nothing, say nothing, do nothing, BE NOTHING. | |
![]() |
|
| Kampilan | Aug 23 2010, 09:44 PM Post #32 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
They should have not made a scene of the arrest of the brother. It triggered the hostage-taker's anger which led him to shoot the hostages. |
| |
![]() |
|
| israeli | Aug 23 2010, 10:40 PM Post #33 |
![]()
|
http://www.sb.gov.hk/eng/ota/![]()
|
| "To secure peace is to prepare for war." - Carl Von Clausewitz | |
![]() |
|
| israeli | Aug 24 2010, 12:22 AM Post #34 |
![]()
|
Hong Kong gov’t ‘disappointed’ about RP hostage siege Agence France-Presse First Posted 23:33:00 08/23/2010 HONG KONG—The Hong Kong government said Monday it was "very disappointed" about the outcome of a dramatic hostage siege in the Philippine capital which left at least seven Hong Kong tourists dead. "The outcome is very disappointing. It is a tragedy because a pleasure trip has ended up with casualties and injuries," the city's Chief Executive Donald Tsang told a press briefing. Tsang said he had been unable to reach Philippine President Benigno Aquino III and that the Filipino authorities must provide a full account of the deadly incident to the Hong Kong government. "We have to get the information from the authorities there. Until now I still cannot have a full grasp of the situation. The numbers (of casualties and injured) keep changing." |
| "To secure peace is to prepare for war." - Carl Von Clausewitz | |
![]() |
|
| israeli | Aug 24 2010, 12:52 AM Post #35 |
![]()
|
Hong Kong criticises handling of Manila hostage crisis Reuters Hong Kong, August 23, 2010 Hong Kong's leader Donald Tsang criticised the handling of a hostage crisis in the Philippine capital on Monday in which seven Hong Kong tourists were killed after police commandos stormed the bus they were held in for more than 10 hours. A gunman, identified as 55-year-old ex-police captain Rolando Mendoza who was armed with an M-16 assault rifle, held 15 tourists hostage on a wide road in Manila's biggest park in the morning. Two more hostages were seriously wounded. "It is most regretable," said Tsang who appeared close to tears during a press conference. "The way it was handled, particularly the outcome, I find is disappointing," said Tsang. Others in Hong Kong reacted with shock and some anger after what appeared to an ineffective rescue operation, with thousands glued to their television sets as live footage of the hostage drama played on local television for much of the day. Such hostage incidents are extremely rare for residents of the financial hub and former British colony that returned to Chinese rule in 1997. Police commandos could be seen breaking the windows of the bus minutes after a series of gunshots were heard and the driver of the bus was seen running to safety. The commandos then struggled repeatedly to smash their way into the bus for over half an hour. As they did so, further gunshots could be heard, causing the officers to duck down and take cover. After around an hour the gunman was eventually killed and the hostages freed. "It's a tragedy and a farce," said Kevin Chan, a Hong Kong resident. "Why did it take them so long to get into the bus? They're not well disciplined and trained. Are they crazy?" Another Hong Kong resident Sunny Ho said things could have been handled through calmer negotiations rather than brute force. "It's really tragic, the Philippine police and government are totally incompetent. The government should have agreed to the request of the gunman and rescued the people first!" Ho said. A batch of hostages including three children were earlier freed. "I hope the Philippines government can give me a full account of what happened," Tsang said. |
| "To secure peace is to prepare for war." - Carl Von Clausewitz | |
![]() |
|
| pachador | Aug 24 2010, 01:09 AM Post #36 |
![]()
|
so this hijacker was one of the "Ten outstanding policemen" ??? napunta sa hijacking ... outstanding killer pala , Now I'm starting to wonder about those policemen who are not even one of the "ten outstanding policemen" ?? tsk tsk. |
![]() |
|
| Tora^2 | Aug 24 2010, 03:53 AM Post #37 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
It's not only the Government to blame but our ratings-minded media |
JOIN UP! POWER UP! DO MORE MORE WITH LESS! | |
![]() |
|
| raider1011 | Aug 24 2010, 04:29 AM Post #38 |
![]()
|
Philippines bus assault 'risky': French expert A police assault on a bus of tourists taken hostage in the Philippines Monday was "badly prepared and risky", a French expert said, after eight hostages and the gunman were killed. The police who stormed the bus in Manila did not have specialist training and "visibly lacked adequate equipment and tactical competence," said Frederic Gallois, who once commanded France's elite hostage rescue unit. After seeing live television images of the operation, the former colonel told AFP that "one cannot understand what justified this badly prepared and risky assault." The police, for example, did not attempt a surprise tactic like entering the bus at several points and had also stayed too long outside the vehicle before launching their assault, he said. A disgruntled ex-policeman armed with an M-16 assault rifle hijacked the bus. Police said he used some of the hostages as "human shields" before he was shot dead by a sniper. At least eight Hong Kong tourists were killed in the drama which ended when police stormed the bus, firing dozens of bullets into the vehicle. Gallois was the commander of the National Gendarmerie Intervention Group between 2002 and 2007. The unit in 1994 freed 173 passengers and crew from a plane hijacked by four Algerian Islamists, who were killed in the operation. http://www.expatica.com/fr/news/french-new...pert_91498.html ![]() Colonel Frederic Gallois and former boss; Video: GIGN assault on Air France 8969 to free 169 hostages, hostages killed: 0 A miracle anyone survived this. I mean the one in Manila. |
|
God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless. || Chester W. Nimitz Loyalty to the Nation ALL the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. || Mark Twain | |
![]() |
|
| fatbat_mca | Aug 24 2010, 06:33 AM Post #39 |
|
Member
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
wow ang galing natin at saka ang daming "expert" nagsilabasan. kung tayo kayo ang nandun, tayo ang SWAT, kaya ba kaya natin? |
oh my sofie!
| |
![]() |
|
| spraret | Aug 24 2010, 06:52 AM Post #40 |
|
PDFF Admin Support
![]()
|
This will pass. The troubles in Thailand were more widespread, with more deaths and with travel advisories from more countries including ours but tourists are already returning. |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| Go to Next Page | |
| « Previous Topic · Philippine National Police · Next Topic » |









![]](http://z1.ifrm.com/static/1/pip_r.png)




8:49 AM Jul 11