Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Philippines Defense Forces Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Solving the PNP’s gun shortage
Topic Started: Mar 20 2005, 09:31 AM (3,897 Views)
holydoggy
Member Avatar
Trainee
[ *  * ]
DirGen Lomibao, kindly provide a solution to this problem...

Provincial cops lack gov’t-issued guns

by Rene U. Borromeo
March 20, 2005

Four-hundred fifty-two policemen, or almost a third of all policemen in Cebu province, do not have government-issued handguns and are arming themselves by buying from legitimate sources and clandestine gunsmiths in Danao City.

Most of the policemen without government-issued firearms are new recruits, some of them were forced to apply for salary loans just to buy their sidearms.

There are 1,400 policemen in Cebu province.

A policeman, assigned to a northern town, said his .45 cal. pistol was bought from an illegal gunsmith in Danao City at P6,000 when he was still with the Regional Mobile Group-7 detailed in the mid-north.

Another policeman said that a few weeks after they underwent the six-month police basic course, he availed of a P50,000 loan.

“Ang P30,000 gigasto nako pagpalit og armas. Gisultihan man ko nga wala g’yoy armas nga ihatag sa bag-ong mga polis mao nga napugos ko nga mopalit na lang,” he said.

Those policemen, who acquired their guns from the illegitimate source, just secured memorandum receipts from their superior officers to make it appear that the firearms are government-owned.

If the law would be strictly enforced, policemen who got guns from illegitimate source may be held criminally liable and face dismissal from the service for illegal possession of firearms.

But a ranking police official at the Police Regional Office-7 defended them.

“Luoy sab kaayo kon kasohan pa kining maong mga polis nga katungdanan man g’yod unta sa kagamhanan ang pag-isyu kanila og armas kay polis god sila. Unsa may gamiton nila kun suklan sila sa mga kriminal?” he said.

Chief Inspector Daniel Sales, head of the Cebu provincial Internal Affairs Section, was surprised to learn that many policemen did not have government-issued handguns.

PRO-7 director Eduardo Gador, who used to be the head of the directorate for logistics in Camp Crame, promised to bring up the problem to the higher headquarters.

Some of those policemen who just bought their guns from the clandestine gunsmiths in Danao City are now planning to avail of the ongoing gun amnesty offered by President Gloria Arroyo that will end on September 30.

Those who wish to have their handguns registered are only required to submit their proof of identity, proof of address and bank payment receipt of P2,000.

Police personnel and other government employees have a fifty-percent discount of the license fee.

http://www.thefreeman.com/local/index.php?...050320&id=28537

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

fieldmouse
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
the PNP command should offer 0% loans to cops for purposes of buying sidearms, buying firearms from illegitimate sources is not only against the law but said guns could also be unreliable and prone to failure...
the mouse assault

Fmr TOPP Awardee 82'PNP
Member Avatar
PDFF Moderator
PDFF Mod Group
It is a sign of desperation for an outfit neglecting for the procurement of tools such as sidearms for cops which is the most basic tools in the performance of their duties.

Superior officers who signed Memorandum Receipts and Mission Orders to justify the use of the illegally obtained firearms are more criminally liable than to those who requested issuance for Falsification of Public documents, Illegal Possession of Firearms, and also criminally liable for abetting in the disposal of illegally manufactured firearms, like those manufactured under the shade of coconut trees in Danao.

What a shame for this kind of illicit situation to happen right within the outfit of sworn peace officers to uphold the law.

I cannot find any provision even in the book of giants that immunes a police officer from any prosecution for flouting the law which he believes justified for a good cause. This is plainly ignorance of the law, and to those who are, should have no room in the field of law enforcement.

What kind of system that does'nt give a damn to young and new recruited police officers to secure a loan just to purchase their own firearm that should have been the government's obligation ?

Why is it so hard to fund this kind of urgent needs and easy to drain millions of pesos of taxpayers money getting into the pockets of insincere and corrupt public officials ?
Posted Image

"GUILTY CONSCIENCE NEEDS NO ACCUSER"

Numbers
PDFF Moderator
PDFF Mod Group
This is not exactly ignorance of the law. Even rookie cops know this but out of desperation, they have to procure sidearms for their protection and the cheapest firearms rookie policemen can afford are those made in Danao where a 1911 clone can be bought for as low as 2000 pesos.

One little two little three little four little...

Behind every successful man, there is a woman
And behind every unsuccessful man, there are two.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk, I have a work station....

Fmr TOPP Awardee 82'PNP
Member Avatar
PDFF Moderator
PDFF Mod Group
Rallion Tiger
Mar 20 2005, 06:01 PM
This is not exactly ignorance of the law. Even rookie cops know this but out of desperation, they have to procure sidearms for their protection and the cheapest firearms rookie policemen can afford are those made in Danao where a 1911 clone can be bought for as low as 2000 pesos.

Well, ignorance or not, it's tolerance which the latter has more serious consequences than the former.

Ignorance can still invoke mitigating circumstances, but tolerance earns an aggravating circumstance.

Why would they gamble themselves to flout the law when in the absence of a weapon, it does'nt change their status as an officer of the law ? Superior officers should not be stupid enough to assign these weaponless cops jobs that are so risky that really needs a protective weapon. Cops in some countries in Europe does'nt even carry weapons. Ex: British Police.

The truth is, what motivates these rookies to buy their own weapon and can't wait for the issuance of one, is the eagerness to carry or sport firearms on their waists.
Posted Image

dororodo
[ *  *  * ]
you can afford to say that topp bec you are no longer a cop, its the reality here in the phils and unarmed cops cannot just wander safely here, and about that english cops going unarmed is bullshit, those bobbies carry small revolvers in ankle holsters!

Fmr TOPP Awardee 82'PNP
Member Avatar
PDFF Moderator
PDFF Mod Group
dororodo
Mar 21 2005, 01:03 PM
you can afford to say that topp bec you are no longer a cop, its the reality here in the phils and unarmed cops cannot just wander safely here, and about that english cops going unarmed is bullshit, those bobbies carry small revolvers in ankle holsters!

It's not bulshit Dorodo, Scotland Yard frontline officers never carry firearms, only those Arm Offender's Squad are issued weapons but on a case to case basis only, and you can only see them with guns during call outs. If I failed to convince you this, feel free to do a research on this matter, and, I must say to you straight, that I am not inclined to include bulshits in my posts in this forum.

A police officer should remember that it is not the gun that represents his authority, it is only an incidental tool for the furtherance of his chosen job. He should not compromise himself violating the fundamental laws of the land just because of personal safety reasons which can be easily remedied.I understand the issue of personal safety but it cannot outweigh the consequences of flouting the law, which should not happen to law enforcers. I was also a cop once upon a time and I am safe and proud to say that I have shown my true colors as a police officer during my time and I was honored of that, and I was able to convey this to my subordinates and some of them got the same honors.

Law enforcement is a sworn career, and that is to uphold the law, and if one cannot sacrifice to met this professional demands, he or she has no room in the field of law enforcement.
Posted Image

valiant
[ *  *  * ]
one time in cebu while strolling at fuente osmeńa, a snatcher grabbed a woman's bag, the woman screamed attracting the attention of a cop, the cop ran after the snatcher but the snatcher pulled out a paltik revolver and fired at the cop but missed , the cop pulled his own revolver and returned fire but nothing happened the snatcher fired again and hit the cop in the stomach (he survived) and the chase was over...turned out the cop's revolver was also Danao made ...kaya lang mas mura yung nabili niya kaysa paltik ng snatcher...tsk tsk tsk

Fmr TOPP Awardee 82'PNP
Member Avatar
PDFF Moderator
PDFF Mod Group
If that snatcher was caught, and the pursuing cop survives his gunshot wounds, both of them will go to jail. The snatcher for Theft, and Direct Assault upon an agent of Person in Authority (which was the cop), and the cop for Illegal Possession of Firearms, and the officer who issued the Memorandum Receipt and the Mission Order to carry that firearm will be as well charged for Falsification of Public Documents.
Posted Image

jogger
Member Avatar
Trainee
[ *  * ]
ang tindi mo sir TOPP sobrang strict mo pag ikaw ang Chief PNP, wawa na man mga pulis natin...meron naman sigurong loophole dyan uwedeng lusotan he he he...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Philippine National Police · Next Topic »
Add Reply