Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Chamber Militant. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dethtron's Eradicators WIP
Topic Started: Jun 15 2010, 10:45 PM (1,982 Views)
dethtron
Member Avatar
Pyrophant Judge
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Just got my pair of new Leman Russ Kits in the mail today (total Leman Russes now owned: 17). Got so excited about them that I put them both together in one sitting. I'm hopping to prime them and possibly get the basecoat of green airbrushed on tomorrow if I get a chance.

I kind of went to town on adding bits to them since GW now gives no stowage whatsoever with their IG tank kits. Luckily I have an ass ton of stuff left over from older kits plus some US tank resin stowage pieces I got off of ebay a while back. As an extra touch I even threw a FW Cadian Tank Commander on one of them.

Here are some shots of the first tank:

Posted Image

shot of some of the stowage

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tank number 2.

shot from the front with rough terrain modification (modeled on, but will most likely not pay points for in a game)

Posted Image

Rear shot with stowage

Posted Image

close-up of the other side with camo netting over various supplies and sundries

Posted Image

Last, full on side shot w/ tow cables

Posted Image

Hope you guys enjoy, I'll try and put up a few other shots in progress as I get around to it.

be sure to hit up my blog to vote on what these tanks will be named.
Edited by dethtron, Jun 15 2010, 10:48 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

War009
Member Avatar
Initiate of the Arts
[ *  * ]
Holy shit that is a lot of Leman Russes.....I thought it was bad that my friend wants 10 but damn.

Stowage looks great on them, great placment and realistic feel to locations. I know one of the sellers on eBay is francois verliden and he has ton of stuff for cheap on the resin stowage and accessories....I get them for my dad all the time since he builds models and I build the wargamming stuff. Another cheap route is to get a set of ones you like and make molds of them and cast them your self.....not that I do that ;)

Memento Mori
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Wowza! these look GREAT! what, may I ask, does and eradicator do? it sounds rather scary.

I agree though, the extra stowage stuff looks great, a nice, and realistic touch. I can't wait to see you work your treadhead magic on them. MOAR PICKTOORS!

dethtron
Member Avatar
Pyrophant Judge
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Memento Mori
Jun 16 2010, 06:53 AM
Wowza! these look GREAT! what, may I ask, does and eradicator do? it sounds rather scary.
eradicator is an anti-infantry tank. S6 AP4 Large blast that ignores cover.

I'm going to try some new stuff out in the not too distant future- probably not this weekend, but more distant- where I use my Heavy slots for anti-infantry and my fast attack for anti armor (w/o using vendettas). we'll see how that works. I'm going to try and test it out on vassal a few times before I assemble my devil dogs that I'd need for the list (as I have 4 kits collecting dust since I can't decide what to make them into....one thing's for certain they won't be bane wolves)

DFM
Default Avatar
Pyrophant Judge
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
haha poor banewolves...

dethtron
Member Avatar
Pyrophant Judge
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Got a pretty good start on Project Eradicator this morning. I went ahead and grabbed a demolisher that I had laying around that was primed already and threw that into the mix as well, so things are going a little bit slower than planned.

Last night everything got a black duplicolor basecoat or more specifically, two thin coats. I had been priming all of my cadians white for a while. After putting on the first coat of green I could already tell that I'd never use white for them again. After that dried, everything got 2 thin coats of Catachan green and alcohol from the airbrush (5:2 mix- probably). Over a white coat of primer this used to take as many as 4 coats to lay down before. all hail black primer!

here are pics of one of the undercoated tanks

Posted Image

Posted Image

After that it was panel lining time. In days bygone I didn't use this technique. Looking back, it makes a huge difference and doesn't recquire much of a time investment either. for this I used a pea-sized bit of burnt umber oil paint and thinned it with pure mineral spirits to a consistency like ink. I didn't measure this, but bascially I filled up a well in my pallete with mineral spirits and the paint and it turned out perfectly. This was enough to do all three tanks withou too much left over, although I probably could have gotten a 4th tank done as well.

once the lining mix was made, I got a fairly thin brush (5/0) and set about hitting all the panel lines, rivets and areas that would need shading. this method is idiot proof, because if your paint is the right consistency, it does all the work for you via capillary action. the wash runs through lines naturally without really needing to make brush strokes and naturally pools in/around recesses. best part is you don't even have to be too neat about it. the properties of the wash keep it off of most raised areas. if you do get a major fuck up, get a brush with pure mineral spirits and wipe it off. that's it. but you can really even be a little sloppy as we've got 2 or three light dry-brushes coming for highlights plus a metric ton of weathering coming. this will cover up any mistakes. trust me.

here's what the tanks look like lined (note since the lining takes 2+ hours to dry I also basecoated the tracks with a thinned mix of tin bitz). ++the "wet spots" you see are just mineral spirits. they weren't quite dry yet when I snapped the picture. That will evaporate soon.++

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by dethtron, Jun 17 2010, 01:50 PM.

Memento Mori
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A great tutorial so far mate! i'm really liking the effects you have already. Can't wait to see it with all the weathering and whatnot.

dethtron
Member Avatar
Pyrophant Judge
[ *  *  *  *  * ]

Well I'm done for the night, so I figured I'd upload my progress so far. I'm just about right on track with where I wanted to be right now. I finished nearly all the weathering I wanted to get done and basically just have details like the tank commander, lighting, aquillas and a few other odds and ends to paint.

Next step after the panel lining was dried was to drybrush highlight the tanks. I first did a fairly heavy coat of 1:1 catachan green: camo green followed by a second lighter coat of pure camo green. this is what they look like after all the highlighting is done:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next, the tracks needed some attention. They were drybrushed with boltgun metal. this was a very heavy dry brushing, and may even qualify as "overbrushing", but you don't want too much of the tin bitz peaking through. Don't worry if it turns out a little patchy, there are still several more steps to go. I also basecoated anything metal with boltgun metal- flamers, cannon barrels, and so on. this is what they look like after the boltgun metal:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next I put on the tank numbers. I do this early, so that the decals get weathered. I coated the area where the transfers were going with poly S decal softener. I also accidentally used water with brush soap in it to soad the transfers. not sure which is responsible, but I've never had decals go on better. the clear parts of the paper pretty much distintegrated and didn't leave that shininess that you normally get. I'm very pleased. here's a decal:

Posted Image

Next up was to start adding paint chipping. I've developed a method that is so easy it's retarded. First use a piece of foam from a blister or sabol case to apply blotch patches of p3 umbral umber (one of the most useful colors ever). this should be applied mostly to raised areas or where there wold be wear on the paint job of the tank. next go back over those areas with a new sponge with a tiny bit of chainmail to act as a highlight and look like exposed metal. that's it. this is how the final product looks:
Posted Image

next step was to wash the metal areas. I use p3 armor wash mixed with water 2:1. It's way better than using that badab black shit, because a real metallic wash should have some blue and other colors added to it. rather than mixing my own, I've found the p3 wash to be pretty great, if a little over-pigmented (hence the thinning). this was washed over the tracks and all other metal areas and looks a little something like:

Posted Image

My next step was to add some soot and powder burns to the appropriate areas. this is where the serious modeler would bust out the weathering powders. not wanting to take the time and extra steps to fuck with this (and seal the tank in between steps to protect the powder), I used my patented short cut. Basically all you do is use a fairly dry brush loaded with chaos black. start by painting heavily around gun barrels and exhaust pipes and then IMMEDIATELY start "blending" the black out away from the source of smoke. it's kind of like wet blending without the wet or using 15 different brushes simultaneously part. here are some pics of the finished product-

Posted Image

Posted Image

next it was time to add some dust and dirt. I airbrushed a medium thick coat of vallejo model air dark earth followed by vallejo model air mud brown in a lighter application around the base of the tanks. this paint is awesome because it's already the right consistency for airbrushing. here's the finished product:

Posted Image

the last thing I did for the night was to whip up a wash of beastial brown for the tracks and to add depth to the dust i airbrushed on. I mixed up a very thin wash that was probably about 7:1 paint to water, since I wanted it to be fairly transparent. this was applied to the tracks and to the base of the tank (the base will get one more step to town down this effect tomorrow). as a bonus if you look at the tracks, I was able to get a picture where part of the wash had dried and part was still wet, so you can see the crazy difference. It looks really harsh when you first apply it, but it mellows out as it dries... a lot. see for yourselves:

Posted Image

that's it for tonight. I'll try and finish these off tomorrow if I get a chance, but I may not have quite enough time, since the tank commander is going to take longer than I'd like to finish- and this is why I usually don't put exposed people on my tanks :)

cheers and let me know what you think so far.

War009
Member Avatar
Initiate of the Arts
[ *  * ]
Best tutorial I have seen in a while I am actually learning stuff....good thing my armour is a ways off cause I want to do this to my marine vehicles

Memento Mori
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Excellent job, bravo and well done! Love the tutorial too! I'll be trying these techniques out on my treads soon!
Edited by Memento Mori, Jun 18 2010, 11:42 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Works in Progress (WIP) · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme by Sith of Outline