Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Chamber Militant. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Lauby vs. Dethtron aka Blood angels v. IG
Topic Started: May 2 2010, 11:30 PM (1,126 Views)
dethtron
Member Avatar
Pyrophant Judge
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Got a chance to capture some pics of Lauby and I's latest Vassal game. You're forewarned, it's not too exciting till close to the end, but this should be a pretty concise report if nothing else.

I decided to try out some new things and deviate slightly from my normal guard list that I've been using. it's not exactly optimized, but I've been wanting to see how devildogs and snipers perform on the table. Here is what I ran:

HQ
CCS autocannon, 2x grenade launcher
Chimera

Troops
Vets 3x melta
~chimera

Vets 3x melta
~chimera

PCS 4x flamer
~chimera
3x infantry squads- sniper rifle, lascannon
~1 commissar- power weapon
~special weapons squad- sniper rifle

fast attack
2x devil dog
2xdevil dog
2x devil dog

Heavy Support
Leman russ demolisher
Leman russ demolisher

Lauby's list was (from memory)
Librarian
2x ass squads w/ mg in Landraider crusaders w/ MM
3x ass squads w/ mg in razorback w/ TL HF
3x Baals w/ HB sponsons
3x Predators w/ Lascannon sponsons

Lauby got the first turn and we rolled the Annihilation mission (boooooo).

Here's the deployment with Lauby's scout moves
Posted Image

Turn 1.1

[forgot to screen cap, but as you'll see, nothing happened]
Lauby kills a lascannon squad and a bunch of guardsmen with baals. Takes turret off of devil dog with 1 predator, then shakes the same dog with another predator.
3rd pred immobilizes demolisher on the western flank.

Turn 1.2

Posted Image

I advance and miss with a bunch of shit. Stun a razorback, kill a baal, and miss with more stuff

Turn 2.1

Posted Image
Lauby advances, shooting does nothing against vehicles, baals kill 4 or 5 guardsmen in my blob squad. Assault marines attack devil dogs killing them both and taking 1 marine in the explosion. This is bad for me.

Turn 2.2

Posted Image
I advance. Snipers kill a razorback, but lascannons do nothing( what the fuck?). Other shooting manages to immobilize 2 baals. In spite of eating 6 flamers and a multilaser, 1 assault marine survives on the west side of the board. This is bascially my only truly good turn of the game.

Turn 3.1

Posted Image
Predator takes MLaser off of PCS chimera. And that’s it. The excitement continues…

Turn 3.2

Posted Image
devildogs kill a razorback and 1 marine. A demolisher kills 3 marines while targeting a razorback in what may have been a semi-illegal dick move on my part. My melta vets decide to show up this turn and advance, popping smoke.

Turn 4.1

Posted Image
Assault marines kill a devildog with melta fire.
A baal kills a devil dog and another one shakes the devil dog that has absorbed a ton of fire already this game. Land raider kills another devil dog. Assault squad meltas the last weapon off of PCS chimera. Assault squad then kills PCS’s chimera in CC. Things are no longer looking good for me.

Turn 4.2
[scene missing- I don't know what happened to this screen cap]

Melta vets wreck land raider with their shooting. Grenade launchers strip lascannon off of a predator with a side shot. Lacannons shake and immobilize another predator. Snipers and a devil dog finish off an assault squad. Things are looking better for me.

Turn 5.1
Posted Image

Lauby stuns the CCS chimera and a vet chimera. Assault squad stuns demolisher. Librarian lances a vet chimera stunning it and immobilizing a demolisher. LR takes a turret off of the demolisher. Final devildog is wrecked by something. Other demolisher loses turret in assault by marines. Remainder of PCS dies in CC, as expected. Assault squad/libby take out 7 blobsmen who don’t break from combat, thanks to the commissar.
Turn 5.2

Posted Image
I do just about nothing but hold out in CC with my blob squad and win 7:5 as the game ends. If it had gone into turn 6 I would have gotten my ass handed to me, as most of my vehicles would be spending the turn stunned, again, giving me basically only a sniper squad and some veterans free to do anything.

I liked Lauby’s list quite a bit. Still need to see if it can hold up against real, sustained firepower, but it proved pretty durable this time around. As I missed with nearly every blast weapons I shot, the only thing I can say about this game is that I earned a healthy respect for sniper rifles. Blech, what a shit game.
Edited by dethtron, May 2 2010, 11:48 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lauby
Member Avatar
Inquisitor Lord
[ *  *  *  * ]
the last picture there was from the previous turn.

Other than that, pretty accurate description of one of the most frustrating games ever played.

TheKingElessar
Member Avatar
Penitent
[ * ]
Hate to say it Dethtron, but IMO your Deployment did you in.

Well, that and lack of Vendettas...lol.

From the sounds of it, though, dice were dicks, to both of you.

dethtron
Member Avatar
Pyrophant Judge
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
TheKingElessar
May 3 2010, 06:42 AM
Hate to say it Dethtron, but IMO your Deployment did you in.

Well, that and lack of Vendettas...lol.

From the sounds of it, though, dice were dicks, to both of you.
specifically what about the deployment? just curious

TheKingElessar
Member Avatar
Penitent
[ * ]
So, this is a rough assessment of his deployment?
Attached to this post:
Attachments: laubydeploy.png (705.51 KB)

Lauby
Member Avatar
Inquisitor Lord
[ *  *  *  * ]
that's actually really close. With the exception that its missing the third flamerback. Which is fine, since I forgot to deploy it myself. D'oh.

TheKingElessar
Member Avatar
Penitent
[ * ]
lol
Okay, now while your deployment is good, the IG have to respond in such a way that neutralises a section of your force, and allows them to determine where the fight occurs. The way you've set up allows the battle to be fought right across the board, with a very wide frontage - this is good, as Marines can survive such a war of attrition with ease.

When IG face such a mass of AV13, the Autocannons and Multilasers are no longer capable of taking down enemy armour, and as such it falls to the Lascannons and Melta Vets. In Dethtron's list, that means the Banewolves become his biggest threat to you. In addition, they are Hellhound variants, so they are Fast enough to attempt flanking shots.

I will get a map drawn up (much) later - [possibly in 12 hours] for what I feel you should have done - but for now I'm getting breakfast, and heading to my LGS for a day's playing of my own! :D

TheKingElessar
Member Avatar
Penitent
[ * ]
Sorry about delay...I would like your opinions on this...

EDIT: Forgot the SWS. Frankly, I have no clue where top put them. Perhaps on the left flank, in that ruin. Either that, or Reserve them.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: laubyvsdeth2.png (770.3 KB)
Edited by TheKingElessar, May 14 2010, 06:52 PM.

Lauby
Member Avatar
Inquisitor Lord
[ *  *  *  * ]
the expert deployment stuff always trips me up. Any thing the blood angles could have done better in that regard?

TheKingElessar
Member Avatar
Penitent
[ * ]
I don't really think so...I think I'd have hurled the Raiders at him face-first, and outflanked at least one Baal, but the AV13 wall was important.

In all honesty, he should have beaten your list by more - Banewolves crack AV13/14 easily enough. By using them to get in your face, and with them being Fast too, he could have crippled your (AC/LC) Predators easily enough. Had he managed that, it'd be a simple game of 'keep the roaring red guys away from the squishy meatbags, and use MOAR flamers!'

As ever, Vendettas would have been a benefit - although the Wolves were an excellent back-up.

dethtron
Member Avatar
Pyrophant Judge
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
thanks for the deployment tips :) that's the biggest part of my game I'm trying to work on right now- not deploying like a dumbass.

I agree that the devil dogs should have done better, but as I mentioned inthe report, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with anything for the first 3 turns, so I lost a lot of my "suprise we're devil dogs and we're going to eat your face off over the first 2 turns" shenanigans. then they slowly succumbed to shooting and getting grenades shoved in their tailpipes.

vendettas are great, but I've been trying to branch out a bit from my normal plans and try to find another list that I enjoy playing, so as to alleviate some of the boredome that my ADD ass gets from playing one list over and over. I'm actually contemplating running something with a bunch of Autocannon HK missile sentinels to see how that would fair. you know, the kind of thing that can throw 25 or so krak missiles at you on the first turn along with a bunch of autocannons and stuff. Might not work out too well with that pesky BS 3, though. It can't be worse than my idea for a list centered around a culexis shooting 20+ times in a single turn, though....

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · Battle reports · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme by Sith of Outline