Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Chamber Militant. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Chaos in the Old World
Topic Started: Apr 14 2010, 12:38 PM (382 Views)
vanmetal
Default Avatar
Penitent
[ * ]
New boardgame from GW and Fantasy Flight

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/43111/chaos-in-the-old-world

You play the role of one of the four chaos gods in a bid to either spread the most corruption or become the most powerful in the Empire and surrounding territories.

Being as this is a FF gig, the plastic minis are unfortunately a bit in the suck end of the quality pool. Nice enough detail and modeling, but material is brittle and the cultists come with these spindly staffs that are guaranteed to snap. All the other pieces; tokens, cards and board; are top-notch and beautiful. It might take a couple of plays to understand the power balance and varying strategies and there are a couple of finicky rules that if you get wrong will totally wreck everything.

That being said, it's deep and tense and really difficult to know who's really winning at any given point. There are a few opportunities for AP to sink in but game-play generally flows pretty smoothly and takes about 2 hours on average. Definitely recommend that you have all four gods represented but I've been told it can enjoyable with less.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Memento Mori
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So have you actually played this then? I saw this a little while back, and was quite intrigued. I'd like to see some pictures of the pieces.

This is the same company who are releasing the Horus Heresy game, isn't it?

Thanks for the heads up!

DFM
Default Avatar
Pyrophant Judge
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
not bad.

A little steep on the Price($59.95) when looked at from a outsiders POV (like my wife, I can just IMAGINE that conversation) tho.

vanmetal
Default Avatar
Penitent
[ * ]
"So have you actually played this then? I saw this a little while back, and was quite intrigued. I'd like to see some pictures of the pieces.

This is the same company who are releasing the Horus Heresy game, isn't it?"

Indeed it is by the same company. Although I honestly was uninformed of the latter. Card driven battling is all the rage right now. I do wonder about this title.

And yes I have played it twice.

Here are some pictures posted on geek, most of them are painted:
http://boardgamegeek.com/images/thing/43111/chaos-in-the-old-world

"A little steep on the Price($59.95) when looked at from a outsiders POV (like my wife, I can just IMAGINE that conversation) tho."

It's all in perspective. Compare that to a $50 video game and you get:
-Tactile pieces that you can actually hold and move
-Portability
-No system requirements
-Something that will not become obsolete with release of the sequel on a new generation console

Although it will take up more shelf space and doesn't come with a soundtrack.

Considering the quality of the non-mini pieces and the board and compared to other new board titles, it's fairly priced imo. If the minis were of significantly better material the price could reach $70 or $80 and I wouldn't consider that steep.

DFM
Default Avatar
Pyrophant Judge
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I wouldn't consider the price steep either.

The wife would, normal board games to her are on a wall at toys'r us and stuff. the 20-30 stuff.

vanmetal
Default Avatar
Penitent
[ * ]
Quote:

The wife would, normal board games to her are on a wall at toys'r us and stuff. the 20-30 stuff.

Ugh, that's where the $12.99 cases of Busch Light are stored. You need to get her to check out some microbrews. The European imports aren't bad either, but sometimes one more game named after a place where you push colored wooden cubes around can be one too many.
Edited by vanmetal, Apr 14 2010, 03:01 PM.

Lauby
Member Avatar
Inquisitor Lord
[ *  *  *  * ]
Vanny, you left out the best part of your play experience - the 12 year old who was playing as Slaanesh.

DFM
Default Avatar
Pyrophant Judge
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
vanmetal
Apr 14 2010, 03:00 PM
Quote:

Ugh, that's where the $12.99 cases of Busch Light are stored. You need to get her to check out some microbrews. The European imports aren't bad either, but sometimes one more game named after a place where you push colored wooden cubes around can be one too many.
yeah, Anything that I like that isn't fluffy or something like that tho gets the mega-stink eye when I try and ask if she'd be interested.

vanmetal
Default Avatar
Penitent
[ * ]
DFM
Apr 14 2010, 05:16 PM
yeah, Anything that I like that isn't fluffy or something like that tho gets the mega-stink eye when I try and ask if she'd be interested.
Sad times

Quote:

Vanny, you left out the best part of your play experience - the 12 year old who was playing as Slaanesh.

Yes. That was super weird. It was definitely more appropriate when he was Khorne.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Other GW games · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme by Sith of Outline