Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Esperamos que gostes da visita à Caserna =)

No momento estás a entrar neste fórum como visitante. Para disfrutares de tudo o que o fórum tem para oferecer, sugerimos que te registes - é totalmente grátis e sem compromissos!

Regista-te agora!

Se já fores um membro, por favor faz o log in!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
h go-ahead touchdowns on its final drive the first two games of the season. But hes been inconsistent and turn
Topic Started: Dec 30 2012, 11:54 AM (34 Views)
xuxin
Velha Guarda
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
CLEVELAND -- Over more than two decades, Sandy Alomar Jr. Haloti Ngata Authentic Jersey . has been an All-Star player, coach and interim manager for the Cleveland Indians. On Thursday, he was something new: an applicant. Alomar, who guided Cleveland in its final six games after Manny Acta was fired last week, interviewed to become the Indians next full-time manager. Alomar spent most of the day in meetings with owner Paul Dolan, general manager Chris Antonetti and other front office members at Progressive Field, a place he knows well after playing 11 seasons with Cleveland. Alomar and former Phillies and Red Sox manager Terry Francona, who will interview with the club on Friday, head the list of possible replacements for Acta. Antonetti was impressed with the job Alomar did in his short stint replacing Acta, who was dismissed after Cleveland collapsed in the second half of the season. "As expected, Sandy did a great job," Antonetti said. "There was a lot to work through especially for someone who does not have that extensive managing experience so he was doing a lot of things for the first time. But he did an exceptional job in how he went about preparing for it, reaching out to coaches, how he communicated with players and putting himself and the team in a position to succeed. "In a short time he did a good job." The Indians went 3-3 under Alomar, a six-time All-Star catcher with Cleveland who served as Actas bench coach this season. Alomar has not managed at any level but previously interviewed with the Chicago Cubs, Boston and Toronto. Antonetti feels the 46-year-old Alomar has paid his dues and is prepared to lead a major league club. "I fully expect that hes ready to do the job and be successful at it," Antonetti said. Antonetti did not put a timeline on naming a new manager, and said the team would not rush into an important decision following a disappointing season which ended with a 68-94 record and fourth-place finish. Antonetti said during the interview with Alomar there were discussions on his vision for the ballclub, ability to lead, communication skills and relationships on the club. "What we are looking for is someone to lead this group of 25 guys," Antonetti said. "Were looking for someone who has the ability to motivate a group of guys to achieve and perform at their best. A lot goes into that, a winning environment, a winning culture as well as helping players develop and reach their potential." Alomar would seem to be an ideal fit. He knows Clevelands roster already and enjoyed a good rapport with many of the Indians players. Antonetti said several players made it clear during their exit interviews that they would be happy to play for Alomar. "I can tell you that Sandy is held in very high regard among our players," he said. Before the season finale, pitcher Justin Masterson said Alomar would be a great choice to take over the Indians, who were within 3 1-2 games of first place on July 27 before losing 11 straight games and fading from contention. "I like Sandy a lot," Masterson said. "Everybody in this clubhouse respects him." Alomar also has the support of Cleveland fans, some of whom chanted "San-dy, San-dy" after he came out of the dugout to argue a call earlier this week. Although Alomar would appear to be the frontrunner because of his close ties to the team, Antonetti said there isnt a favourite. "I wouldnt give anyone a leg up in the process," he said. "We feel good about the two initial candidates that we have identified." Not long after Acta was fired, Antonetti called Francona, who has spent the past year working as a TV analyst. Francona, who previously worked as an adviser in Clevelands front office and has remained close with Antonetti and team president Mark Shapiro, told the Indians he was "excited to get back on the field." Francona led Boston to World Series titles in 2004 and 2007. He was fired after the 2011 season, when the Red Sox fell apart down the stretch. Last week, Francona told the AP he would welcome the chance to work again with Antonetti and Shapiro. "Its great to hear," Antonetti said. "We have always had a great deal of respect for Terry. We had an opportunity to work together for a little over a year and stayed in close touch with him throughout the last decade. It was great to hear that he was interested, and Im very confident with he and Sandy leading and starting this process that we will emerge from it with a great leader." Francona reportedly makes $1.7 million in his job with ESPN. Antonetti said economics would not impact any decision on hiring a new manager. "We will go with the best person that we think fits best for the job," he said. Antonetti touched upon a wide-range of topics during an informal one-hour meeting with reporters. Among the top items were: -- The Indians August meltdown. Antonetti said the team is still trying to determine what went wrong during a 5-24 month, the worst in franchise history. "I dont think theres any one sole reason," he said. "Weve asked a lot of people that question trying to get a lot of different feedback and a number of different perspectives on it. The one thing we all feel is that we have better talent than our record shows." -- Antonetti met for more than an hour with outspoken closer Chris Perez, whose comments throughout the season angered opponents, fans and some of his teammates. "It comes from a good place with Chris," Antonetti said. "Hes an extremely competitive guy that badly wants to be a contributor to a winning team. Thats where its coming from. I wish he would communicate his words differently and how he communicates those messages, but the root from where hes coming from is a deep-seated belief that he wants to be a part of a winning team." -- Antonetti said its possible outfielder Grady Sizemore and designated hitter Travis Hafner could return to the club "but the level of investment would be very different than it was in the past." Sizemore missed all season with injuries and Hafner was limited to 66 games. -- No decisions have been made on club options for pitchers Ubaldo Jimenez or Roberto Hernandez. Bernard Pollard Jersey .FIFA, the governing body of soccer, announced the referee selection for the final two games and Christina Pedersens name was noticeably absent.Pedersen came under fire after making controversial calls in Mondays game. Torrey Smith Jersey . Patrick Gonzalez was suspended for a day from Woodlake Hills Middle School because the district deemed his US$75 haircut a distraction. He returned to class Thursday after reluctantly shaving his head. Gonzalez says Bonner is his favourite player, noting theyre both redheads. http://www.shopbaltimoreravensgear.com/womens-ed-reed-nike-jersey/ . The Pacers blew a big fourth quarter lead on Saturday for the second time in the set, but this time they came back to win in overtime. David West posted a game-high 26 points with 12 rebounds, and George Hills 12 points included the game-winning free throws with 2.2 seconds to play in the extra frame as the Pacers held on for a 101-99 decision over Orlando in Game 4, despite seeing a 19-point fourth-quarter lead erased. Haloti Ngata Youth Jersey . The 50-year-old Clemens is scheduled to pitch Saturday for the Sugar Land Skeeters against the Bridgeport Bluefish in the independent Atlantic League. Jacoby Jones Jersey . That would be back in the 1970s, when the Argonauts were just a notch or two behind the Toronto Maple Leafs in the local sporting consciousness, when the signing of Heisman Trophy winner Anthony Davis out of USC was enough to bring tens of thousands out to an intrasquad game at Exhibition Stadium. Michael Vick remains the starting quarterback in Philadelphia, for now. Three people familiar with the decision told The Associated Press on Monday night that coach Andy Reid hasnt benched Vick. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because all announcements about the starting lineup come from Reid. The Eagles headquarters was closed Monday due to Superstorm Sandy, and there was no media availability. Vick, the four-time Pro Bowl quarterback, has struggled this season and Philadelphia (3-4) has lost three straight games. Reid didnt endorse Vick after Sundays 30-17 loss to Atlanta, saying hes going to evaluate all his starters. Vick then said he would support whatever decision Reid makes. That led to speculation Vicks days were numbered. But Reid is sticking with Vick over unproven rookie Nick Foles as of now. Reid has changed his mind on his starting quarterbacks in a 24-hour period before, reversing his call on Kevin Kolb and replacing him with Vick in 2010. Its unlikely he would do it again and give Foles his first NFL snap on the road in a Monday night game against New Orleans (2-5) next week. Foles, a third-round pick out of Arizona, had an outstanding preseason. However, he did so playing against backups, third-stringers and guys who didnt make a roster. Foles impressed ccoaches and teammates, and fans have been calling for him to start since Week 1. Ray Lewis Youth Jersey. Vick wasnt the problem against the Falcons. The defence under new co-ordinator Todd Bowles allowed scores on the first six possessions, including touchdowns on the first three. As for the offence, injuries to All-Pro left tackle Jason Peters and centre Jason Kelce have crippled the unit. Vick hasnt had much time to throw and gets hit often. Playcalling isnt helping, either. Reid and offensive co-ordinator Marty Mornhinweg have underused All-Pro running back LeSean McCoy in the past three losses. Vick led Philadelphia to comeback wins with go-ahead touchdowns on its final drive the first two games of the season. But hes been inconsistent and turnover-prone overall. Vick has just a 78.6 passer rating, his lowest since joining the Eagles. Hes coming off a rare turnover-free performance after throwing eight interceptions and losing five fumbles in the first six games. Benching Vick and turning the offence over to Foles could be a way to shake things up. It also could be interpreted as giving up on the season. The Eagles still have time to turn things around and save Reids job. Hes already been told by owner Jeffrey Lurie that another 8-8 finish would be "unacceptable." ' ' '
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Notícias · Next Topic »
Add Reply